2023 Honda CR-V

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Honda has developed quite an affinity for long overhangs... not sure why. And I don't know why Honda can't seem to design a decent looking car.

Honda-CR-V-007.jpg

Honda-CR-V-008.jpg

Honda-CR-V-002.jpg

Levi

Expert
Reactions
someone needs to tell carmakers, FWD or RWD or even supercars, long front overhangs are ugly, always.

b.ba

Fan
Reactions
I always had a soft spot for Honda because they seemed to be better about overhangs (or at least from the vehicles I saw), so I'm slightly disappointed that the next generation looks like that. I am not sure why there is a shift to such a long overhang when this generation has such a short one.

Is a longer overhang safer or more crash worthy? I am not quite sure why a front overhang would be beneficial (especially as it would put more weight over the front axle? (I'm also not an engineer so I may just be clueless)

Motor

Expert
Reactions

This is a preview

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I always had a soft spot for Honda because they seemed to be better about overhangs (or at least from the vehicles I saw), so I'm slightly disappointed that the next generation looks like that. I am not sure why there is a shift to such a long overhang when this generation has such a short one.

Is a longer overhang safer or more crash worthy? I am not quite sure why a front overhang would be beneficial (especially as it would put more weight over the front axle? (I'm also not an engineer so I may just be clueless)

2022 Civic is just the same... not sure why.

01a00570-0330-11eb-befd-057f854755dc

Will1991

Reactions
Crash compliance perhaps? This way there is more space before the wheels and other hard mechanical componentes.

Or a cheaper way to make cars look bigger on old platforms...

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Toyota, Hyundai and many others seem able to pull off great crash scores without that terrible front overhang, so I'm not sure that's the excuse.

Will1991

Reactions
Maybe my mistake, but isn't Honda in a bit hard financial situation this last few years?
Europe is being really hard on them, Accura isn't going as planned... And with less income, less money for R&D...

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
Transversely (side-by-side)-mounted FWD-based drivetrains mount the engine and transmission ahead of the front axle, which explains the longer front overhang.

Actually increasing the front overhang would give more room in the engine bay for a wider engine, such as a V6. But Honda is unlikely to be using a V6.

Styling decisions may also give the impression of an exceptionally long front overhang.

The first is cab-forward styling, where the base of the windshield is pulled forward over the front wheels. Cab-forward styling gives the impression of more space in the cabin (but it usually means a very long instrument panel, measured from the base of the windshield to the front edge closest to the passengers). This CR-V looks like it has cab-forward styling.

Another styling cue that gives the impression of an exceptionally long front overhang is front tires that seem proportionally too small for the vehicle. The tires on this CR-V look too small for the size of the vehicle.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
All else equal, log overhangs up front also help smooth out the ride and make the tracking more stable by putting more weight over the springs/suspension....when the springs move up over a bump, they don't bounce or deflect the front end as much.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Actually increasing the front overhang would give more room in the engine bay for a wider engine, such as a V6. But Honda is unlikely to be using a V6.
That's exactly the problem. Those modern transverse FWD cars are designed with so much engine space that they could fit a V6 but they don't put a V6 engine in them. That's just poor packaging that compresses interior space.

What's even worse is that even EVs are getting long overhangs...when EVs technically should be designed as boxes with wheels on four corners.

Motor

Expert
Reactions

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I dont get it, why do the Rav4 and CRV take the conservative approach to interiors. I look at a Kia Sportage and the interior looks like a much nicer place to be on initial appeal. Yes in 10 years time, a RAV4-CRV is going to shine and be solid etc, but dang how about now?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I dont get it, why do the Rav4 and CRV take the conservative approach to interiors. I look at a Kia Sportage and the interior looks like a much nicer place to be on initial appeal. Yes in 10 years time, a RAV4-CRV is going to shine and be solid etc, but dang how about now?

With people I know who have bought recent Kia products, I think "10 years time" is more like 12 months time. They are better than they were but it seems there's still a big disparity in the media and Hyundai/Kia trolls vs. real ownership experiences.

Reactions
Honda has developed quite an affinity for long overhangs... not sure why. And I don't know why Honda can't seem to design a decent looking car.

Honda-CR-V-007.jpg

Honda-CR-V-008.jpg

Honda-CR-V-002.jpg

I remember when they used to have some good designs... now it's been a while. Not surprised, but still dissapointed