2023 BMW XM

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Yeah, that new M2 looks bad if that is the real thing…. What do you drive now? I still have a 228i MSport, stick shift and it is hard to replace. I keep hoping for a new IS or RC to come out to take a serious look at one of those. The refresh didn’t cut it IMHO.

The next coupes out of lexus including the RC should benefit from the GT3 platform work done

Och

Admirer
Reactions
Yeah, that new M2 looks bad if that is the real thing…. What do you drive now? I still have a 228i MSport, stick shift and it is hard to replace. I keep hoping for a new IS or RC to come out to take a serious look at one of those. The refresh didn’t cut it IMHO.

With four motorcycles I barely ever drive anymore, but the M2 is still in the family. Back in early 2020 my daughter was having issues with her X5's excessive oil consumption, so I gave her the M2 and took the X5 for recall repairs, and then the whole pandemic happened, and she sweet talked me into making the exchange permanent. In the last 15 years we had 8 BMWs, and the M2 is by far the truest BMW and the most fun. I'm not excited about BMWs future lineup at all, especially garbage like this XM.

mikeavelli

Reactions
This is the one that really shows how sad things are. Instead of a new i8 or a new M1, no we get another overweight monstrosity. And for them to say it’s aimed at the Urus market etc, I’ve never heard anyone say they want a BMW in that realm. What I hear is they want them more involving, lighter and less ugly.

Growing up I truly admired them and their efforts and cars. They started to lose me with the weird designs in the 2000s and after the X6 it’s been just downhill. By far my least favorite German luxury brand. Before they were my favorite.

What am I missing? Help it make sense lol.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
This car is a disrespect to BMW M heritage. Apparently PHEV is a must now so let us stick to that. Audi R8 used a V10 because it was a Lamborghini. NSX II was too expensive for the Acura badge, and interior was too "cheap" for the price. Some might criticize the generic design, but NSX I was had a generic design language too for that time. But in terms of technical prowess and performance result, the NSX is a very very well made product. It also fits with the "raison-d'être" of the NSX I, but applied to modern technology.

BMW could have used the best engine they have, the S58 and add PHEV, as they will do for future M cars, and it could have been a genuine M1 successor, with same I6 mid-mounted layout, a rarity. But they went with an even more uglily rebodied X7, which is an extended X5.
(n)

mikeavelli

Reactions
I’ve seen them in person and amazingly, it’s worse. A G wagon has always been a rugged handsome off roader. This looks like it was ran over by a G Wagon and it’s a crossover. It’s like this is a vehicle for a social media influencer who craves attention for all the wrong reasons.

Nice Lexus exhaust tips too.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
I’ve seen them in person and amazingly, it’s worse. A G wagon has always been a rugged handsome off roader. This looks like it was ran over by a G Wagon and it’s a crossover. It’s like this is a vehicle for a social media influencer who craves attention for all the wrong reasons.

You've made such a delicate description for attention w#####$, and clearly they are the intended market for this bizarre BMW. It's a reflection of the modern times.

Motor

Expert
Reactions

More power and more in your face. Well done.

Reactions
The i8 was actually pretty badass, felt very exclusive and very supercar like.

I genuinely liked the i8. Was one of my most favorite cars. Then I got so tired of it once I saw it everywhere and I couldn't care less. But in the past few years I'm beginning to fall in love with it again.