2023 BMW XM

Motor

Expert
Reactions

The all-new BMW XM is fitted with a newly developed plug-in hybrid drivetrain. The M HYBRID system in the BMW XM consists of a new 483-hp V8 engine with M TwinPower Turbo technology and a 194-hp electric motor integrated into the eight-speed M Steptronic transmission. Together, they generate a maximum system output of 644 hp at 5,400 RPM and 590 ft-lbs of torque between 1,600 and 5,000 RPM.

Looks better than the refreshed X7.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
This is horrifying. Imagine doing this to the M brand.

I don't normally feel strongly about this stuff and taking risks but what an absolute spit in the face of the brands history and pedigree.

Whoever worked on this should live in shame.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions

I don't normally feel strongly about this stuff and taking risks but what an absolute spit in the face of the brands history and pedigree.

Well, as a long-time auto enthusiast, I don't like it any more than you do. But, like it or not, the auto industry is transforming from internal combustion engines to hybrids and battery-electrics. We're going to have to accept it as the wave of the future. In fact, I'd get a hybrid version of what I'm driving now if Buick would actually produce one, but, so far, that have not. Hybrids are probably the ideal compromise for people like me who are not able to have an vehicle-electric-charging outlet in their home.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Well, as a long-time auto enthusiast, I don't like it any more than you do. But, like it or not, the auto industry is transforming from internal combustion engines to hybrids and battery-electrics. We're going to have to accept it as the wave of the future. In fact, I'd get a hybrid version of what I'm driving now if Buick would actually produce one, but, so far, that have not. Hybrids are probably the ideal compromise for people like me who are not able to have an vehicle-electric-charging outlet in their home.

Going to New powetrains doesn't necessitate a big ugly stupid "performance" SUV as the flagship of your storied brand of small nimble well handling German sports coupes and sedans.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
The issue isn't making a performance hybrid. The issue is marketing this as the "first PURE M car since the M1" and said pure M car being an SUV. An M-only designated car is supposed to represent BMW's motorsports history and apply it into a road-going sports car, imo, not an excessive, overwrought SUV designed for NFT-bros.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
The issue isn't making a performance hybrid. The issue is marketing this as the "first PURE M car since the M1" and said pure M car being an SUV. An M-only designated car is supposed to represent BMW's motorsports history and apply it into a road-going sports car, imo, not an excessive, overwrought SUV designed for NFT-bros.

Well, actually, there are two issues.....both what you pointed out and what I did.

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
All is see is the staggered exhaust so I guess Lexus designers were ahead in that regard. Still waiting for the first of the next generation F cars. The fact that the RX 500 FSP used a 6 speed auto is a very positive sign.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The M1 weighed 1300kg and this thing is 2750kg. How dare they call this "the only dedicated M car since M1"?

BMW is terrible at making lightweight SUVs when they can build really light cars. This is a typical case of power-weight death spiral that the LF-1 fell into and likely got cancelled for.

So far it's clear BBA have all chosen to build PHVs for one last generation of high performance cars. I wonder if Lexus has any plans for F-brand PHVs or go directly for F-brand EVs.

Last edited:

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
iu

04Agx7M2ObUKctEujKsmm0q-1.fit_lim.size_1600x900.v1664383095.jpg

iu

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions

I assume they are living in shame in their chateau, while drinking their shameful champagne, while being given a shameful multiple course meal, with the most shameful bonuses ever given to their product planner.
/s

This is literally going to print money, and help bankroll all of their new programs. Its fugly, blasphemous and I assume will be exactly what their new target markets are demanding.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
It’s to me the pinnacle of utter cuv crap. And it is beyond disgusting to think BMW who used to shun a CUV M now boasts its top M is a 5000lbs toaster oven that fell out of the top of the Burj Khalifa.

Instead of offering an new BMWi8 or a new M1, no we get this. CUVs are as uncool as it gets and this thing is the pinnacle of everything wrong with this trend and the people who buy them.

I used to absolutely heart BMW. I modeled modifying my GS 400/430’after their M5. I always admired their manual M cars. Since the X6 it’s been downhill. I don’t care if it’s faster or laps the nurburgring faster. The interiors are atrocious the vehicles are beyond ugly and they are heavier than ever.

The only things left to me are the M2 and thr M5 CS I drool
over,

At least their motorcycles are still as good as ever, but their car brand is lost with me. They will ruin the next M2 and M5.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
BMW used to be defined as the Ultimate Driving Machine, with traditional design cues including singular sharp bodylines, upright greenhouses, decently sized kidney grilles, the BMW roundel, and Hofmeister Kinks. And the M

What defines a modern BMW? According to the XM, none of these.
  • weighs over 6000 lbs
  • chunky body design with no Hofmeister Kink
  • Lit up massive kidney grilles
  • "BMW" writing on center caps instead of the roundel, so you can point and say "Look at my BEE EM DOUBLE U"
The upcoming M2 seems to be the only car that will stick to the classic BMW formula, for which I am actually excited.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Yeah Crack sells really well and destroys communities too at least then I don't have to look at this
smh not even on the same level of what this is, but this does remind me of this level of outrage last when Porsche was looking to launch the Cayenne. Many generations later Porsche is still producing the best driving cars in addition to the sacrilege Cayenne and Macan.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
smh not even on the same level of what this is, but this does remind me of this level of outrage last when Porsche was looking to launch the Cayenne. Many generations later Porsche is still producing the best driving cars in addition to the sacrilege Cayenne and Macan.
It would be more like Porsche bringing out a car it claims to represent the heart of the 911 and its a full size 6,000lb SUV.

MichaelL

Follower
Reactions
I'm not so sure, the new 2 series coupe is ugly as sin, and the next M2 photos are even worse. I used to have a 2015 m235i and a 2018 M2, not looking forward to the new one.

kUqHzp3.jpg

:ROFLMAO:
Yeah, that new M2 looks bad if that is the real thing…. What do you drive now? I still have a 228i MSport, stick shift and it is hard to replace. I keep hoping for a new IS or RC to come out to take a serious look at one of those. The refresh didn’t cut it IMHO.