2022 Nissan Z

supra93

Expert
Reactions

Important takeaways:

- Modern street tires can mathematically put 150hp to the road each without breaking traction. Therefore the GTR was sold with 600hp (150x4). But to put 400hp through 2 wheels, that's exceeding the adhesion limit of 2 wheels by a good 100hp. Therefore the VDC tuning here is specifically tuned to make u feel good about it and it's programmed to make you think you did all that driving yourself, no matter how hamfisted you are. Gone is the very intrusive power cut off but in will be the progressive, slightly playful safety leash to reel back the situation if it sees it.

- Cooling deficiencies of the existing 370z is taken into serious consideration with its front ventilation design. The massive grille is supposed to be 200% size of the old, housing all sorts of coolers inside. Even the rear differential has some localized dodats to cool the differential better than the outgoing model (although it's the same diff architecture).

- Unfortunately due to UN requirement (united nations, yes those bastards), the car cannot make all the noise they wanted it to make outside, so fake sound is gonna come through the speakers (boo)

- Z is not going to be an all out racing machine. The team behind the Z is the team behind the GTR, but the GTR has to have some GT and some Racing. The Z is more GT than racing. Even with the cooling upgrades he does not think this is the car for someone who frequents the race track. Couple slides and drift around here and there sure, but it is not designed as an all out time attack machine.

- Trunk size was again designed to swallow up 2 golf bags, (even tho the project lead Tamura said himself, "I don't golf, you know") they made it that way so the car could in theory drive 2 people to golf course with their irons. This is what's deemed sufficient for 2 adults on a weekend getaway, as American would like their supersize everything . Nissan themselves would like to make it even smaller, had it not been for this requirement.

- There is misconception that the car is a retro modern S30z, but they think anyone who owned any gen Z prior, should find this shape nostalgic and unmistakeably Z.

Reactions
Tada-San has all but retired. Not sure there is a fit here since this is a Lexus news site, I do like the idea.
Maybe I can get Cooper who led the IS 500. We kicked it last night.

DO IT. And get him to talk about F and FSP products. The Lexus guys said there would be more to see!

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
And for a lighter more engaging choice with manual, there is either the GR Yaris or GR86.
Neither the GR Yaris nor the GR86 are Grand Touring (GT) cars.

GT cars are for comfortable, long distance travel at sustained high speeds, and were originally built for runs across the European continent.

supra93

Expert
Reactions

Performance(MT) / ProtoSpec: 1604 (3536 lbs)
Performance(AT) / ProtoSpec: 1634 (3602 lbs)

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
It looks like the GR Supra will wipe the floor with the Z with those specs.
Also, when spec'd out with the performance pack and the 9 speed AT, just to keep things as even as possible when compared to 3.0l GR Supra, the price gap between the Z and the GR Supra will probably be quite small, it's most likely not going to be the bargain GR Supra killer that certain people have hyped it up to be.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Neither the GR Yaris nor the GR86 are Grand Touring (GT) cars.

GT cars are for comfortable, long distance travel at sustained high speeds, and were originally built for runs across the European continent.
Lost in translation. I did not claim GR Yaris or GR86 to be GT, but mentioned them as an addition to GT, meaning Toyota has both bases covered, GT and Lightweight.

supra93

Expert
Reactions

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
if this pricing is even remotely true, its a wrap for the supra 2.0.

Last edited:

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Boulder Gray Z

f2ce60k552f81-jpg.154288

916i00k552f81-jpg.154290

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
16306.jpg16297.jpg16307.jpg

My friend spotted the new Zs at our local canyon road, benchmark testing against an M2 Comp, Supra 3.0, and 370Z Nismo. Note that one of the Zs is a base model with the 18" 5-spoke wheels, rather than the 19s we've seen everywhere.