2022 Nissan Z

Levi

Expert
Reactions
While the Z is much improved, it is still technically a 20 year old car. Not bad then...

mikeavelli

Reactions
While the Z is much improved, it is still technically a 20 year old car. Not bad then...

These are last of a dying breed and it’s the shift in tastes. No more coupes and now it all about an EV or some 4 door cuv coupe. 2 seaters are almost impossible to get to the market.

This is probably the end ls the road for the Z as we know it. I am just happy it’s here.

I do have to say Nissan’s marketing for this car has been awful. Acura is exceptional at trickery and Nissan could use some of that playbook.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Damned faint praise by MT.

1ST PLACE: 2022 TOYOTA GR SUPRA
Verdict: A competent, fun to drive German sports car we wish was a true Japanese sports car.
  • Not a true Toyota

The writer just isn’t a toyota or lexus fan. Just bought a rivian. Loves lucid. Doesn’t mention other collabs. So par the course.
If he was just, he would have said they found a way to work together to make a damn good car. One no one is really making.

LarryT

Follower
Reactions
Damned faint praise by MT.

1ST PLACE: 2022 TOYOTA GR SUPRA
Verdict: A competent, fun to drive German sports car we wish was a true Japanese sports car.
  • Not a true Toyota

The writer just isn’t a toyota or lexus fan. Just bought a rivian. Loves lucid. Doesn’t mention other collabs. So par the course.
If he was just, he would have said they found a way to work together to make a damn good car. One no one is really making.

Sometimes truth is a bitter pill to swallow.

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
Sometimes truth is a bitter pill to swallow.

What truth? We know it’s been shared with the z4 for like 8 years now. This isn’t some new piece of data. We know it’s not an all new Toyota. Also it’s not just a body, Toyota did their own suspension tuning which he missed.

I’ve met Johnny and interact quite a bit on social together. He just isn’t the biggest Toyota/Lexus fan. It is what it is. I still think he’s a great writer.

LarryT

Follower
Reactions
What truth? We know it’s been shared with the z4 for like 8 years now. This isn’t some new piece of data. We know it’s not an all new Toyota. Also it’s not just a body,

The GR Supra is "not a true Toyota" nor a JDM sport car.

Toyota did their own suspension tuning which he missed.

"Intriguingly, Toyota does not build the Supra; BMW, its partner in the project, does. The new Supra is in fact the hardtop version of the quite pleasant BMW Z4. So aside from body panels, there isn't much Toyota about the car save for tuning."

I’ve met Johnny and interact quite a bit on social together. He just isn’t the biggest Toyota/Lexus fan. It is what it is. I still think he’s a great writer.

Jonny Lieberman is a "great" automotive journalist plus the MT comparison test was very favorable overall to the GR Supra, so I doubt that there's any real bias or malice on his part, he's just calling it as it is.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
Lets just be thankful that there is the new Supra and the new Z - they aren't perfect, but cars like these are disappearing. If I was in the market for a new car, both of these would be on the top of my shopping list.

mikeavelli

Reactions
[
Nice try, but no dice, simpleton! This is common knowledge. :ROFLMAO:

I clearly highlighted a portion of the quote in context in a prior reply.

So take your pansy tirade up with Jonny Lieberman if you have a problem with any of HIS inaccurate statements. 😁

None of the convoluted, feel good specifications you listed will ever make up for the FACT that the GR Supra is nothing but a souped up BMW Z4 in drag & is NOT & will NEVER BE RESPECTED AS A TRUE JDM pedigree sports car.

Now do you need a makeup wipe or a hygiene pad for your emotional temper tantrum?
Maybe not respected by you and in another reality maybe there is a MKV made by Toyota. What we have is a hybrid from BMW and Toyota, two powerhouses and the results are amazing. The older car is spanking the new Z, the car has sold well, the aftermarket loves it and now a manual is coming.

Sorry it doesn’t fit your guidelines.

Lets just be thankful that there is the new Supra and the new Z - they aren't perfect, but cars like these are disappearing. If I was in the market for a new car, both of these would be on the top of my shopping list.

This. Motor Trend will basically be reviewing CUVs with another hit piece. It’s honestly disgusting i’m retrospect. Hey let’s complain about not having coupes and when coupes arrive let’s crap all over them

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Finally saw one of these for real. It's not that different from the previous Z, but the previous Z was a great car and still looks great, so it's not that much of a demerit. I'm just happy there are still choices in this segment.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
At the end of the day the GR Supra isn't as Toyota as many of us wish it to be, and maybe it doesn't live up the Supra name either. Doesn't detract it from being one of the best mid-range sports cars on sale though.. certainly better than the new Z.

The Z would've made a lot more sense if it was ~36k range starting, and topping out at 44-45k. Since when does a facelift/refresh/new generation warrant an 8-9k increase in starting price?

That said... I'd take the GR86/BRZ over both :D

supra93

Expert
Reactions

nismo_z_03-jpg.13700

nismo_z_05-jpg.13702

nismo_z_07-jpg.13704