2022 Acura Integra

Motor

Expert
Reactions

preview-928x522.jpg

Welcome back.

Reactions
OHHHH MYYYYY GODDDDDD.

GR Supra, GR86, Z, GTR, Integra, NSX, Miata, new Mazda RX, Subaru BRZ, Subaru WRX/STI, and not to mention the onslaught of American, German, Italian, and British sports cars coming out.

Notice how EVERY SINGLE Japanese brand I mentioned has TWO sports cars in their lineup. I'm actually shook.

Sports cars aren't dead.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
This replaces the ILX? An Integra Type-S with Civic Type-R's powertrain might redeem the disaster of TLX Type-S.

Lexus really, really need a small entry-level sedan. The UX just doesn't sell everywhere.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Even if it's just a name, it's quite exciting.

What's next? TLX becomes Legend? Or Vigor? Or can we just even go back to TL?

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
As a Canadian Acura watcher, I am confused. Acura has lost me (yes, that may be a polite Canadian's way of saying that Acura is lost).

Here in the Great White North, we had the Integra from the beginning (1986), a well-received vehicle. A decade later, Acura Canada introduced the Acura EL, a Canada-only badge-engineered Gen6 Civic (assembled in Canada alongside the Civic), supposedly because Integra sales were lagging.

I remember thinking at the time that buyers should just spend a few extra Canadian dollars for a larger Accord, an all-around better car than the Civic (even a dressed-up Civic). Yet, the EL lasted for 2 generations, alongside the equivalent Civic, and was Acura's best-selling vehicle in Canada.

When Acura Canada introduced its new badge-engineered version of the Gen8 Civic, it suddenly gave it the new name of Acura CSX, rather than continuing the well-received EL (I guess EL did not match Acura's new-at-the-time nnX naming convention); it replaced not only the EL but also the Integra, which had been cancelled. The CSX lived for only one generation before being replaced by the international Acura ILX, based on the Gen9 Civic.

Now, after being ignored by Acura, living through 2+ generations of the Civic, the ILX itself is being replaced (is it being cancelled?) by an old-is-new-again Integra?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Acura naming has always been confusing and doesn't follow any rules. You need a simple logical and rememerable naming system to not confuse buyers. Infiniti had the same problem.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
Acura naming has always been confusing and doesn't follow any rules. You need a simple logical and rememerable naming system to not confuse buyers. Infiniti had the same problem.

Infiniti is a textbook case how not to rename your lineup. If they had to rename the whole thing for some reason the guy who came up with renaming structure lacked any common sense all together with his but kissers head nodders. It didn't take much effort to figure out your most popular model plate for cars was G and FX for SUVs. So instead of renaming all cars to G and SUVs to FX they "went back to heritage" and did defunct Q badging. I get it Q sounds a lot better than G and FX but that's about it. Even I who loves cars can't memorize Infiniti models beyond Q50 and Q60.

Acura has only three heritage model badges that really matter: NSX, Legend and Integra. All other don't matter at all and can change all the time without anyone noticing (Vigor>TL>TLX nonsense etc). I have no problem them naming their small coupe Integra, it could have been worse they could have named it RSX again :)

Just funny thing when it comes to model names, when you pick three letters to make an acronym you usually go for something that rolls off your tongue easy and at the same time looks cool on paper. Acura pretty much mastered that with MDX, NSX, TLX and to failed with RDX and ILX (should have been CLX if you ask me). Good thing about Acura and Lexus model naming is that there is no hierarchy (Lexus does have engine badge hierarchy which is second to actual model name plate) so they can switch things around. As soon as you set your models to be in specific order like Audi, BMW and Infiniti you better know what you are doing, it's a whole different game.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Considering their track record of meh, I do not understand how anyone can be hyped. The integra was a car for this time in the 1990s. Today kids want RWD. A ton has changed

I’m expecting a cuv with a CVT hahaha

MichaelL

Follower
Reactions
Hearing 5 door only, no coupe, no hybrid, might even be slightly raised like a UX.
Awful. I was expecting a nice looking version of the Civic type R, with styling an adult might actually drive….. time will tell. Companies and more so ridiculous consumers do love jacked up CUVs for some reason. So you are probably right. Acura gonna pull another fast one (looking at you pathetic TLX type S)?

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Awful. I was expecting a nice looking version of the Civic type R, with styling an adult might actually drive….. time will tell. Companies and more so ridiculous consumers do love jacked up CUVs for some reason. So you are probably right. Acura gonna pull another fast one (looking at you pathetic TLX type S)?
Same here, I seriously don't understand why the majority of consumers are so obsessed with crossovers/CUVs, is it because it looks tough so they think it's safer than a sedan or hatchback even though it isn't?

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
Same here, I seriously don't understand why the majority of consumers are so obsessed with crossovers/CUVs, is it because it looks tough so they think it's safer than a sedan or hatchback even though it isn't?
The cynic's view is that the infatuation with high-riding trucks with large tires as passenger vehicles started as a way to compensate for a lack of testosterone (a lack of masculinity, or more specifically, a lack of size of a certain male appendage, to put it politely).

As truck-based sport utility vehicles gave way to more efficient car-based crossovers, they were marketed as safer vehicles than cars. Because they sit higher than sedans and coupes, the driver can see over the car in front of them and see further down the road. The larger and more easily-loaded cargo area (accessed through the rear hatch) is also a selling point.

What is not mentioned in the marketing is that earlier crossovers may not have been as safe as cars (sedans and coupes) because their classification as light trucks meant that they did not have to meet passenger car safety and fuel efficiency standards. (While current crossovers are built to passenger car standards, physics dictates that a higher-riding and generally heavier crossover can never be as fuel efficient as a car.) And, of course, the higher ride height means that the centre of gravity is higher, so they are more prone to tipping and do not handle as well as cars. What is also not mentioned is that station wagons (which is a type of car that cannot be named nor sold in North America) have the same easily-accessed cargo area while being more efficient than the crossover.

Reactions

He's trolling. Mike is just in a mood to slander Acura lol.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
As truck-based sport utility vehicles gave way to more efficient car-based crossovers, they were marketed as safer vehicles than cars. Because they sit higher than sedans and coupes, the driver can see over the car in front of them and see further down the road. The larger and more easily-loaded cargo area (accessed through the rear hatch) is also a selling point.
And now that seemingly 75% of what's on the road is an SUV or CUV, you aren't seeing over anything. The really annoying part of driving a sedan now is if you're in an intersection where a *UV is waiting to turn left and you want to turn right but you can't see oncoming traffic so you have to wait for them to go.

MichaelL

Follower
Reactions
And now that seemingly 75% of what's on the road is an SUV or CUV, you aren't seeing over anything. The really annoying part of driving a sedan now is if you're in an intersection where a *UV is waiting to turn left and you want to turn right but you can't see oncoming traffic so you have to wait for them to go.
Exactly. What is it a race to the sky? My car rides higher than yours so now I can see over you! Nope, I will one up you are get a taller car. Sports car < Sedan < CUV < SUV < Pick Up Truck < Full Size Truck < flying car?

mikeavelli

Reactions
aCuRa has stated it will be civic based and built in the USA but designed in Japan.

So I’m assuming an aCuRa 5 door hatch version of the civic. They also said the ilx is continuing. Reading between the lines sounds like they want to sell 20k plus a year here. Now I’ll be honest, they are somehow selling 1500 to 2000 ILX’s a month which has been the worst luxury badged anything since it debuted ten years ago. So I can’t see how this won’t sell.

Reactions

Integra Developed In Japan​

The new Integra is being developed in Japan even though it is a more iconic vehicle in the U.S. The team leader has a vested interest: his first two cars after joining Honda were both Integras. Ikeda told him to make sure the team includes all the elements that made him buy an Integra, including the price.
The Integra will use the Honda Civic platform. And there could be some Honda Type R bones in there, but don't expect the full Type R treatment initially. Once Acura gets the car out next year, Ikeda says he knows people will be asking for a higher performance version. And Acura is pushing Type S across the lineup, building equity in the sub-brand. "I am aware people will want an Integra Type S," Ikeda says.