2021 Toyota Venza (Global Harrier)

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
The new Venza will have 3 electric motors. are current toyota hybrids dual motors? Someone help.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
If the price is right I can see this competing seriously with the RAV4, and the NX will need to step its game up because this will take some sale away from it especially from buyers who don't care about the badge. Whatever happens, this is another sale magnet for Toyota especially since it's just re-badged Harrier.

I wish power was 250 though and not 219.
The RAV4 and the Venza, although about the same size, are aimed at different buyers.

The RAV4 will be priced cheaper, has a more traditional SUV styling -- squared-off, and rough-and-ready -- and is aimed at the younger buyer who is looking for a soft-road, go-almost-anywhere vehicle.

The Venza will be priced higher (Car and Driver suggests that it will start at US$35,000), has a softer name and softer styling, and will be aimed at an older, more sophisticated buyer (the availability of only a hybrid powertrain may limit its attractiveness), possibly empty-nesters.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
I do like that its going to be an import only

I just noticed that. That tells me that Toyota USA does not expect to sell that many (or that there is absolutely no space in the Kentucky plant, where the Camry and Avalon are built, and where the old Venza were built, to add this new model).

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
The new Venza will have 3 electric motors. are current toyota hybrids dual motors? Someone help.
Three motors: 2 motor-generators in the Power-Split Device (same for all Toyota and Lexus hybrids since the first Prius and your CT) up front -- MG1 (generator) and MG2 (drive motor) plus 1 motor-generator added to the back axle to provide AWD.

This is the same for all Toyota and Lexus FWD-based crossover hybrids (RAV4, Highlander, RX, NX, UX) with AWD.

While C/D is correct, this just proves to me that (most) auto-writers know very little about how hybrid powertrains work, and Toyota marketing has not written a simple description of how the Toyota Hybrid System works (no need to be too honest and describe all the mechanics of the system, just describe how it works).

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I just noticed that. That tells me that Toyota USA does not expect to sell that many (or that there is absolutely no space in the Kentucky plant, where the Camry and Avalon are built, and where the old Venza were built, to add this new model).

Probably a little of both. We know the Camry is dominating its segment, and Kentucky also makes the ES, which sells very well.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Sorry I can't get excited by CUVs other then the old Infiniti FX/QX70 and the old Acura ZDX (in which I see such great potential).

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Totally agree with you Levi, one of my neighbors in Kiev own FX, wow, just wow I still love it

Hope the LF-1 limitless production version appear soon !

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
If the price is right I can see this competing seriously with the RAV4, and the NX will need to step its game up because this will take some sale away from it especially from buyers who don't care about the badge. Whatever happens, this is another sale magnet for Toyota especially since it's just re-badged Harrier.

I wish power was 250 though and not 219.

I think someone wrote that the price will start at $35k and go well into 40's.

TMC likes internal competition... it also means NX will go up in price.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Venza/Harrier and RAV4 share the same 2,690 mm (105.9 in) wheelbase. I'd say that RAV4 is more of a "rugged" looking quasi-SUV (especially in Adventure and TRD Off-Road trims) while Venza is the more "urban" crossover coupe. Seems that Toyota and Ford are using the same playbook, with new Escape playing the Venza role while the upcoming Bronco Sport "rugged" crossover goes up against RAV4.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
^^I agree. The only difference between the Venza and RAV4 are exterior styling but not interior space. So this means Toyota still does not have a 4.8m mid-size unibody SUV which is a very crowded segment. They do have the Fortuner/4Runner/LCP to fill that segment but these are BOF. This also means the RX remains to be a product unique to Lexus and not directly based on any Toyota product.

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
I don’t think the styling of this new Venza is all that great. A little on the bland side

Will1991

Reactions
This Venza is one of my favorite SUV's, has a perfect combination sporty looks with some classy lines!

Even the interior, looks so well made it's amazing it's a Toyota.