2021 Toyota Venza (Global Harrier)

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Great, so the Harrier name is confirmed.

It seems that FAW-Toyota does not assign codenames to all vehicles. For example neither RAV4 Prime nor Coaster FCV have public codenames yet.

It's also interesting to know the 892B could be a 'C-SUV', which pretty much means the FT-4X/4Activ. The USDM 4Activ is rumored to be the model built in the joint Toyota/Mazda Alabama factory. I thought given its design it will be a USDM-only vehicle, but it seems FAW-Toyota wants a direct answer to the GAC-FCA Jeep Renegade.

Last edited:

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Harrier was in the past RX

So definitely it will be also above the NX but below the Highlander / RX

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Harrier was in the past RX

So definitely it will be also above the NX but below the Highlander / RX

in the past it was NX, but last Harrier was a version of Rav4... and from the size, this Harrier will also be version of Rav4 (more luxurious and expensive).

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
So... It seems to be the second Toyota to make me look for a Lexus badge!
Lexus really needs to get all new models out, right now.

It really is bordering on embarassing now. If i worked for Lexus i'd have a hard time showing my face or feeling proud of what i'm contributing to compared to the stuff even Toyota employees are churning out, let alone the germans or americans.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
It really is bordering on embarassing now. If i worked for Lexus i'd have a hard time showing my face or feeling proud of what i'm contributing to compared to the stuff even Toyota employees are churning out, let alone the germans or americans.

you would be embarrassed because Harrier leaked before NX?

Reactions: RAL

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
in the past it was NX, but last Harrier was a version of Rav4... and from the size, this Harrier will also be version of Rav4 (more luxurious and expensive).

The current one is a long wheelbase RAV4

And I think this one will be with the same formula the long wheelbase of NX / RAV4

Same as the formula used before by Toyota when the Avalon used to be the long wheelbase Camry and the ES just luxed but same wheelbase Camry before they stretched the ES and turned it luxed Avalon

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
So what is this segment now?

Honda Passport
Chevy Blazer
Ford Edge
Nissan Murano
... is that it?

I think of the formula as non-luxury badge version of the RX, which was the Highlander until the Highlander grew and became the defacto three row crossover. Maybe the best way to think of this Harrier or "Venza" is the CUV version of the 4Runner, like the Highlander was originally born to be.

Even now, Rav4 is a good size vehicle and larger than before, so while I feel like the niche for a Venza would be small, I still see a lot of opportunity personally, especially for premium features and trims.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The current one is a long wheelbase RAV4

And I think this one will be with the same formula the long wheelbase of NX / RAV4

Same as the formula used before by Toyota when the Avalon used to be the long wheelbase Camry and the ES just luxed but same wheelbase Camry before they stretched the ES and turned it luxed Avalon

it will likely be same size and new Rav4?

I would consider this Toyota version of NX really, but Toyota being Toyota, they always make it unique. Interior was quite different from Rav4 and NX:

1920px-Toyota_Harrier_U60_interior.jpg

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
So what is this segment now?

Honda Passport
Chevy Blazer
Ford Edge
Nissan Murano
... is that it?

I think of the formula as non-luxury badge version of the RX, which was the Highlander until the Highlander grew and became the defacto three row crossover. Maybe the best way to think of this Harrier or "Venza" is the CUV version of the 4Runner, like the Highlander was originally born to be.

Even now, Rav4 is a good size vehicle and larger than before, so while I feel like the niche for a Venza would be small, I still see a lot of opportunity personally, especially for premium features and trims.

It is not RX tho, it is sportier/luxurious RAV4, or rather - cheaper Toyota NX.

In the US, there is quite a space there for it, since Rav4 starts pretty low and it has gone into "rugged" CUV category, where this is sleek and sporty.

Might end up having hybrid powertrain from Highlander, with its 24-25hp more than Rav4 (out of which 15hp electric), it could be quite noticeable.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
what i dont like about it is that it will likely not come to Europe, since Rav4 gets pretty expensive here, as it is, due to taxes and customs.

And regular Rav4 is just missing a doze of luxury for me to ever be interested in it.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
It is not RX tho, it is sportier/luxurious RAV4, or rather - cheaper Toyota NX.

In the US, there is quite a space there for it, since Rav4 starts pretty low and it has gone into "rugged" CUV category, where this is sleek and sporty.

Might end up having hybrid powertrain from Highlander, with its 24-25hp more than Rav4 (out of which 15hp electric), it could be quite noticeable.

I thought this was slightly larger than the Rav4? More "midsize 2 row" like RX vs. compact like Rav4/NX class?

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
you would be embarrassed because Harrier leaked before NX?

I would be embarrassed that we havent seen a test mule for any meaningful, interesting new products while Toyota seems to have an army, and military scale budget to throw at Toyota products, product partnerships and JVs with other firms, etc.

"So your parent company doesnt care enough about your division to invest in your work, or your quality of work isnt worth investing in? Which is it?" Is probably the question I'd be afraid of getting asked.

Wont go further into it, but let's not pretend this frustration is ring fenced to this particular leak.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
If they are planning to position this as the same size as the RAV4 and more premium or sleek, I am not sure that will work in the USA... especially with Lexus. Here, the RAV4 is pretty pricey once you get to Limited, Adventure, TRD Off Road and XSE. We are talking $38-43k for a RAV4 in that territory, plus tax, tag and title, etc. Even LE and XLE are not cheap comparatively.... and we still don't know pricing on the (flagship) RAV4 Prime.

If this Harrier comes as the Venza, is a bit longer with more room in the 2nd row, more cargo room and more premium features, then I see the case. But just a sleek alternative to the RAV4? No. Americans like our SUVs to be tough and butch looking, which is why 4Runner sells so well after 10 years with few changes, why the new RAV4 is setting sales records and nobody here wants a C-HR. Plus, in the US, we still have a mentality that bigger = more expensive, and smaller = cheaper.

Not saying it's right, but I am saying it's pretty true. Maybe this isn't going to be the Venza... the Venza from before was a true midsize wagon and the RAV4 was a compact CUV, so the size difference was immediately noticeable inside and that makes people more comfortable spending more money.

Keep in mind: the last Venza was pretty much phased out by the SUV craze and for not being "SUV enough." To just be a sleek and premium version of the RAV4, I assume a second iteration would meet the exact same fate.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
I thought this was slightly larger than the Rav4? More "midsize 2 row" like RX vs. compact like Rav4/NX class?
Yes
And that's the current model also

I think spwolf talking about pricing

But the Harrier was always sold as the luxed long wheelbase RAV4, so if the RAV4 get bigger, the Harrier shall be grown also to match the same relation with the RAV4

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Yes
And that's the current model also

I think spwolf talking about pricing

But the Harrier was always sold as the luxed long wheelbase RAV4, so if the RAV4 get bigger, the Harrier shall be grown also to match the same relation with the RAV4

2013-2020 Harrier has exactly same wheelbase as 2012-2018 Rav4.

And you can see by the pics that it is not too large.