momers

Fan
Reactions
^I also agree that the interior is a bit of a retro Japanese throwback, and I think that was a large part of it's appeal when the car launched for 2014. Some people didn't like it, some said it wasn't luxurious enough... but for those of us who understood it, we loved it. Me included! What concerns me is that I want the IS to be successful enough to live on, and the case for "Japanese retro" was made 7 years ago while all of the competition has moved on. Losing the GS created some extra opportunity for the IS (slightly more lux options to fill a "sporty" hole) and I wish they'd taken that opportunity.

But for now, we can just hope for the best.

Good point, Japanese Retro was the word to describe it!

Since the changes inside are not too big, I am relieved that I won't be tempted into upgrading from the 2016 model :-D Though I think that since we have yet to see the non-F-Sport interior trim options in other colours and materials, they just might go with the wacky changes inside - round vents, coloured glovebox?

I have never been a fan of any mid-cycle refreshes, almost always a compromise on the original launch design (granddad in hipster clothes) so I take these refreshes at arms length.

I am though still holding on for, if there ever is one, the next gen model, where I hope the LC and LS treatment gets applied to the interior befitting of a brand new launch.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Good point, Japanese Retro was the word to describe it!

Since the changes inside are not too big, I am relieved that I won't be tempted into upgrading from the 2016 model :-D Though I think that since we have yet to see the non-F-Sport interior trim options in other colours and materials, they just might go with the wacky changes inside - round vents, coloured glovebox?

I have never been a fan of any mid-cycle refreshes, almost always a compromise on the original launch design (granddad in hipster clothes) so I take these refreshes at arms length.

I am though still holding on for, if there ever is one, the next gen model, where I hope the LC and LS treatment gets applied to the interior befitting of a brand new launch.

I have a feeling we'll see an LC/LS style interior on a CUV/SUV before the IS gets one. I am sure eventually whatever their non-flagship sedan is post ubiquity of PHEV/BEV models, will get a high end interior. Probably won't be for another 3 years.

LDeleuran

Fan
Reactions
That it will not be in Europe gives me some concern as to their plan for this huge market. We already saw the discontinuation of GS (including GS hybrid and GS-F) we now see a rather small selection of cars where some of them are simply not competitive:

- CT200h: Basically a facelift of the version I bought almost a decade ago. Is not on TNGA. The only engine option being the 1.8 hybrid from the previous generation Prius! I appreciate the car for being extremely frugal, but the competitors are now on the next generation platforms and the only advantages the CT has over them is fuel economy, environmental impact, and reliability.

- ES300h: This should be the bread and butter car. It has the cleanest engine, nicest interior and quietest ride in its class, but for some reason it just doesn't drive sales when compared to SUV's. Also. It is probably too long for most Europeans.

- RC: I can't comment much on it because I have never seen one on the roads outside of Lexus dealerships and events.

- LS: Brilliant, but unknown. How many first time buyers will opt for the flagship?

- LC: The same comments apply as for the LS.

So in total Lexus has 1 competitive entry level car (ES) to help drive people toward the high end products. Having a competitive IS in this market would change this picture a lot. Or perhaps there is something that I have missed?

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Or perhaps there is something that I have missed?

They make these things, they're like cars but bigger. Tall-cars, I call them. They offer a bit more utility than normal cars too. Tall-utility-cars, even. You can make em smaller and cheaper too, and sell those to people.

They'd probably sell well. Maybe even be the sales backbone of the company for the last couple of decades.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
What Toyota and Lexus did with this new IS is what Toyota did with the 2015 XV50 model Camry: Change most of the exterior body panels -- only the 2015 Camry's roof panel was not changed from the 2012 to 2014 Camry (although I suspect that more than just body panel changes were made to the IS) -- and make a few, token changes inside, and you have a new model.

2012 (XV50) Camry:

2015 (XV50) Camry:

As was suggested (which makes sense to me), this new IS may have adopted the underlying front-end structure of the RC (which, in turn, adopted the front end structure of the GS). Doing so would give the advertised wider track, without having to expend much engineering resources (which would have been expensive and delayed the new model even more), and also allow this new IS to use a V8 engine, which the 3IS was not designed for (but the RC was by using the front-end structure of the GS).

Since most buyers (especially in North America, a key market for this IS) are very superficial, making substantial body panel changes should be enough to convince prospective buyers that this is a new IS, surely enough to carry the IS for another 3 years as a stopgap model. This will give Toyota/Lexus time to decide what to do with this model: kill it (I hope not, since that would leave North America with just 2 sedans, going full circle to the start of the Lexus brand in 1989); carry on as a modern (electrified -- EV, HEV, PHEV or FCEV) compact RWD IS model; or re-position it as a larger modern RWD sedan to replace both the current IS and GS.

Serpens

Fan
Reactions
Since most buyers (especially in North America, a key market for this IS) are very superficial, making substantial body panel changes should be enough to convince prospective buyers that this is a new IS, surely enough to carry the IS for another 3 years as a stopgap model. This will give Toyota/Lexus time to decide what to do with this model: kill it (I hope not, since that would leave North America with just 2 sedans, going full circle to the start of the Lexus brand in 1989); carry on as a modern (electrified -- EV, HEV, PHEV or FCEV) compact RWD IS model; or re-position it as a larger modern RWD sedan to replace both the current IS and GS.

That decision would need to have already been made if we're expecting a new model in 3 years. Product development doesn't move that fast.

OlFius

Founding Member
Reactions
- ES300h: This should be the bread and butter car. It has the cleanest engine, nicest interior and quietest ride in its class, but for some reason it just doesn't drive sales when compared to SUV's. Also. It is probably too long for most Europeans.

- RC: I can't comment much on it because I have never seen one on the roads outside of Lexus dealerships and events.

The ES300h too long? I didn't think so, in Europe there are other (nicer) choices, that's the reason.
And as for the RC: I sometimes come across one, no problem for me, that makes mine all the more unique ...
You were just talking about sedans here, right?

mikeavelli

Reactions
With due respect to the LC500, there is a reason why Lexus did not put some F hardware on it You have to go underneath to realize Lexus saved money and effort on the hardware for track use. Does not have the cooling systems for the oil, transmission and brakes, does not have F brakes, does not have the beefed up differential or torque vectoring to withstand hard turning over sustained period of time. Don't get me wrong. I have driven an LC500 and it is a blast to drive. Lexus developed a brand new chassis for this car, which is why it does so well dynamically even without the track specific hardware and chassis bracing. The suspension tuning is also more for street driving than for hard track driving..

The LC 500 laps as fast and faster than some F models. The 2 piece brakes are massive. There is a diff available, rear steer and now the suspension is tuned with Yamaha on the 2021 models.

I agree its not a hardcore track car but it more than holds it own with F models.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I was online last night when it leaked. It was leaked by a tiny youtube page who uploaded all the assets. And in a blink it was all over. Disappointing.

When the car fully debuts I will share my thoughts. I will say I love the exterior but interior is a let down.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
The LC 500 laps as fast and faster than some F models. The 2 piece brakes are massive. There is a diff available, rear steer and now the suspension is tuned with Yamaha on the 2021 models.

I agree its not a hardcore track car but it more than holds it own with F models.

RWS is designed mostly for the streets for more agility as on a technical track, a TVD is dynamically more capable and complex as it infinitely varies torque left to right under acceleration or braking. Whie track laps would vary based on driver and conditions, in Germany's race car driver Christian Menzel drove all three on the trac and the RCF did 1:56 while the GSF did 1:59 and the LC500 did 2:00. Also, I mentioned the cooling systems above for oil, transmission and brakes that are used for constant lapping. The 4370 lbs weight is another thing. None of the F cars are hardcore track cars (event the track edition), but they definitely have more hardware included to lap consistently without overheating etc.

Last edited:

GNS

Follower
Reactions
I don't like that they got rid of the line which arches up from the sides to the taillights and bumpers. Well, they didn't get rid of it, but rather cut it short at the wheel. The front grille reminds me a little of the Avalon, but the headlights look sharp and modern. Not a fan of the taillights, mostly because they killed the body line I mentioned earlier.

Interior is basically the same as before, but they can keep all that interior-colored stuff like glovebox and other plastic pieces that were colored to match the interior. It looks tacky.

joepac

Fan
Reactions
So this is a 3.5IS not a 4IS...this should have been the 3is. Just looking at the lines of its profile, it looks very similar to the 2IS. Would've been a great evolution in 2013...having said that, if they put in the V35 or a V8 I'm putting in a deposit with my local dealer 😂

Last edited:
Reactions
What do you guys think if they kinda adopted the UX300 interior? Too neat and clean to be sporty though haha.

I actually think the UX interior is nice. Albeit a bit plain (esp the side doors), I think if Lexus at least took that steering wheel and center console and planted aspects of it into the IS, it would've been nice. Just gives a more unified design and sleeker, new look. I really don't know what they were thinking with the interior. I'm sure someone on their design team had to have proposed a more refreshed interior but I'm gonna bet it was shot down for financial reasons.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
Like @mikeavelli said I will also wait till the full reveal comes (not that I have anywhere close to the respect and knowledge that he has!) the exterior looks great and the interior is a let down. But as a current GS owner would I go to this new IS...well in a few hours we will know for sure...

yiantony

Fan
Reactions
Saw the leak images.. That at most would be a mid-cycle refresh. It's disappointing that I have a feeling Lexus is giving up on making it actually good. There is nothing this car can compete with its German competitors in the next 6 years.

mikeavelli

Reactions
RWS is designed mostly for the streets for more agility as on a technical track, a TVD is dynamically more capable and complex as it infinitely varies torque left to right under acceleration or braking. Whie track laps would vary based on driver and conditions, in Germany's race car driver Christian Menzel drove all three on the trac and the RCF did 1:56 while the GSF did 1:59 and the LC500 did 2:00. Also, I mentioned the cooling systems above for oil, transmission and brakes that are used for constant lapping. The 4370 lbs weight is another thing. None of the F cars are hardcore track cars (event the track edition), but they definitely have more hardware included to lap consistently without overheating etc.

We can take this good discussion to another thread if you want to start one :).

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
I actually think the UX interior is nice. Albeit a bit plain (esp the side doors), I think if Lexus at least took that steering wheel and center console and planted aspects of it into the IS, it would've been nice. Just gives a more unified design and sleeker, new look. I really don't know what they were thinking with the interior. I'm sure someone on their design team had to have proposed a more refreshed interior but I'm gonna bet it was shot down for financial reasons.

Who would cross shop the UX but me and @Will1991, no one would have been the wiser lol?