bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
I think it's going with the avalon rear design. And seeing the avalon rear spoiler design, it matches the one on the IS video. And that's not a bad look IMO the avalons rear end looks really good and sporty. I just hope lexus put in some effort to grow the IS size to match its competition.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Isn't it too much of an effort to modify the car so much for just three years?

IS 500 or IS 500h is all that is needed to make this car performance worthy.

I like the interior (layout) of the IS/RC. It is my favorite of all cars ever, together with the SL R230. I hope they keep the same layout, just update the materials and details.

Reactions
Just from the shots shown, this looks like a complete redesign to me. There are too many massive differences for it to be a simple refresh. It's been confusing to see people insist this would just be a minor refresh, not sure why that would be the case.

Since it's almost certainly a redesign, expect it to last about another 6 years with a possible refresh in 3 years from now as all Lexus vehicles seem to go along that cycle (With a couple exceptions like GX & LX). Can't wait to see the full thing!

joepac

Fan
Reactions
Just from the shots shown, this looks like a complete redesign to me. There are too many massive differences for it to be a simple refresh. It's been confusing to see people insist this would just be a minor refresh, not sure why that would be the case.

Since it's almost certainly a redesign, expect it to last about another 6 years with a possible refresh in 3 years from now as all Lexus vehicles seem to go along that cycle (With a couple exceptions like GX & LX). Can't wait to see the full thing!
I think it is due to the fact that lexus stated it is built on the current (though supposedly modified) platform. From what I have read and heard the wheelbase is the same but the track is supposedly wider. So I think it should be considered "Heavily Refreshed" vs "Redesigned" for those reasons. I just hope we get the bigger engine. My 2010 IS350 is getting long in the tooth 😕

Last edited:

Lexucator

Fan
Reactions
Pulling over from the other IS thread and updating slightly: My prediction for USA:

- Same car, heavy refresh with new bumpers, exterior lighting and an updated interior a la 2014 LS 460
- 2.0T 8AR-FTS on all models (carryover) "IS 300"
- 2GR-FKS V6 available only on the F Sport model "IS 350 F-Sport"
- New infotainment (Carplay, AA, Alexa) as part of the interior refresh
- Latest Lexus safety systems added
- Some suspension changes so they can claim it's the best driver's car in the segment as teased in their announcement this morning
- Some new colors and new wheels
/end scene
Agree. A heavy MCE seems to be the most logical move by Lexus given a completely new IS may or may not be in the cards. I wonder if Lexus knows the future of the IS? Is this just a cost-effective strategy by Lexus to decide whether or not to keep the IS going beyond this generation?

While I wish for a completely new IS from the ground up, I have no doubt this will be a nice automobile and will likely lure current IS owners.

Lexucator

Fan
Reactions
@maiaramdan , I don’t see it happening...

In a world increasingly global with global models (Harrier/Venza for example, Avensis replaces by the Camry), it doesn’t do any sense to Lexus to do two different models for EU and USA...

Even the ES found its way into Europe...

I don’t know who said it, but after this I must give it to you... It really seems that TMC is trying to turn Lexus into a Porsche competitor while Toyota is getting some new models to go against BMW/Mercedes...
The only way I see Lexus develop two different designs of the same model, or two different models at the same price point, for different markets, is if the model is built on a new global architecture. Many manufacturers, including Lexus, Toyota, and Subaru are doing this for cost savings and ease of producing different vehicles in different markets. No way this will happen to the IS until it is built on a new platform that can easily be adapted to different markets.

momers

Fan
Reactions
I would differ in the case of IS. See this from the time of it's launch: I recall it was well received and very competitive and that time.

I can vouch for GS that it was much better car overall than previous BMW 5 series. A6 could only put up a fight in interior if you could get it really properly equipped. E-class of that time was a disaster so I'm not even going to comment on it.

In the case of IS I'm not so sure if it was anything better than 3 or A4 in any aspect of the game. It's interior was bad from the get go (they wanted to scale down the GS interior and save money in the process) and driving it wasn't really inspiring or what you would expect from small premium sedan. Not saying that it was worse or better than competition but from the very start it didn't have many advantages so it only got worse as time went by. I really don't understand why they didn't bother to refresh the interior earlier. On contrary that same interior in RC-F doesn't bother me cause you sit low and have those awesome seats and thick padded door trims, it just feels a lot more proper than in IS. Also touchpad instead of controller is a nice bonus.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
The 2021 model year facelift is actually expected to be built for 3 years. It's during the 2023 calendar year (for the 2024 model year) that either we'll see a new 4th-generation or see IS discontinued.
This is what I have been thinking. If the new IS is a significant refresh rather than an all-new model, it is a stopgap model.

In light of the cancellation of the GS, the refreshed IS will give Lexus the extra time required to plan, design and build the model that will replace both the IS and GS.

And in light of the fact that European markets have decided not to sell a new IS (which I am sure surprised few, if any, at Toyota and Lexus), this stopgap model will give Lexus the time required to plan, design and build a proper (electrified) IS-GS model that can and will be sold in all markets (Japan, China, East Asia, Middle East, Europe, North America).

Levi

Expert
Reactions
If Lexus plans to stop the IS, I wish they'll communicate it. They might after they reveal it. The Germans communicate alot on their future plans.

I don't believe the stopgap thing. I don't see the difference between an electric IS or ES, unless one is BEV from ground up, without choice of ICE.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Honestly, not the big Zero though

As there were some sources saying that the IS will use either the BMW I6 engine or the Mazda I6 engine

So maybe, Just maybe it's one of them!

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
i have a feeling that most people will be disappointed because they want all out effort... so no matter how "good" IS is, it will not be good enough.

Motor

Expert
Reactions
i have a feeling that most people will be disappointed because they want all out effort... so no matter how "good" IS is, it will not be good enough.

The Relentless Pursuit of Mediocrity.

To me it feels like the last hurrah of the IS and it’s going to go out with a whimper (see Mark X). At least the Altezza taillights are back!

super51fan

Follower
Reactions

I think people will be satisfied if it is up to par with its competition. A top trim N/a V6 is a hard sell when its competitors all use FI for their top non-performance model. It atleast needs the V35a to compete with the Q50, M340i, and C43 AMG.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
I would differ in the case of IS. See this from the time of it's launch: I recall it was well received and very competitive and that time.

That is the article I re-read a couple of times too to confirm its not bottom of the rung uncompetitive even with competitors' updates.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Agreed, an IS500 (and an RC500) with the 416 HP V35a engine and suspension/chassis tweaks is desperately needed for the top trim in the RC/IS line up. It will compete well against the KIA Stinger GT, C43 AMG, Q50, M340i etc.

I think people will be satisfied if it is up to par with its competition. A top trim N/a V6 is a hard sell when its competitors all use FI for their top non-performance model. It atleast needs the V35a to compete with the Q50, M340i, and C43 AMG.