CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
The rear on this thing is wide, and flares out high up.

I really am curious if it's just the angles, but I cant quite imagine this yet. It must be a more rakish design.

Reactions
It is absolutely unheard up this day and age not one picture leaked. Nothing seen at the track. Nothing driven around. Just some magazine renderings.

I echo this too. Makes me believe the chatter here that the engines will go unchanged. When Lexus first announced this refresh, I think it was noted there'd be some performance upgrades, so I was expecting some much-need "umph" for this car, but who knows. It would seem if the engine or performance had been improved that yes, there'd be some leaked test track shots since the car would need to be tested. Not sure how much COVID-19 played a role in the lack of coverage though.

I'm thinking that this 2021 version is just a major cosmetic and tech overhaul (which isn't bad), but will still be missing that punch of power that the car really needs. We will really need the full redesign (if that even makes sense at this point) to see real performance.

super51fan

Follower
Reactions
I echo this too. Makes me believe the chatter here that the engines will go unchanged. When Lexus first announced this refresh, I think it was noted there'd be some performance upgrades, so I was expecting some much-need "umph" for this car, but who knows. It would seem if the engine or performance had been improved that yes, there'd be some leaked test track shots since the car would need to be tested. Not sure how much COVID-19 played a role in the lack of coverage though.

I'm thinking that this 2021 version is just a major cosmetic and tech overhaul (which isn't bad), but will still be missing that punch of power that the car really needs. We will really need the full redesign (if that even makes sense at this point) to see real performance.

Toyota has their own private test track in Shimoyama so they no longer need to test on public tracks where spy shots can be taken.

Will1991

Reactions
Since this isn't coming to Europe, it's just a bit of curiosity, but... Maybe IS350 carrying the old V6 will be the only one on offer? If I were Lexus and if I had an IS500 to offer (being a V8 or a V6TT) I'm sure I would be teasing it instead of the 350 to create more enthusiasm...

Even an hybrid variant would create more buzz than the old same IS350 moniker...

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
Since this isn't coming to Europe, it's just a bit of curiosity, but... Maybe IS350 carrying the old V6 will be the only one on offer? If I were Lexus and if I had an IS500 to offer (being a V8 or a V6TT) I'm sure I would be teasing it instead of the 350 to create more enthusiasm...

Even an hybrid variant would create more buzz than the old same IS350 moniker...

Maybe that's going to be the curve ball.

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
I really think Lexus is going to surprise us with this car. I believe we will get IS 300, IS 350, IS 500, and IS 500h. I think the IS 500 will be 3.5 ttv6 with hybrid tech as well. IS 500 should replace what GS usually offered. This is just a theory though.

I like your theory

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I wonder if performance hybrid is only available on h+ models.

I mean, the first thing they show.of it says "pure sport" I hope it is more than lip service but I am.not expecting much.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Next gen BMW PHEVs to have 62 miles of electric range. RAV4 Prime already has 42.

Maybe the 3.3IS hybrid+ will have 82 miles but from Alex on Autos, the RAV4 Prime suspension had been raised up to maintain similar ground clearance as the hybrid variant. :)

Jezza819

Follower
Reactions
It is absolutely unheard up this day and age not one picture leaked. Nothing seen at the track. Nothing driven around. Just some magazine renderings.

Yeah it just seemed to pop up out of nowhere. One day it's just rumors then it's a full reveal.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Next gen BMW PHEVs to have 62 miles of electric range. RAV4 Prime already has 42.

Maybe the 3.3IS hybrid+ will have 82 miles but from Alex on Autos, the RAV4 Prime suspension had been raised up to maintain similar ground clearance as the hybrid variant. :)
BMW is basically cheating with their range ratings. BMW PHEVs are extremely underpowered in EV mode so in real world usage the ICE has to come online. To reach the claimed range the driver has to drive very slow or use some gasoline.

The main problem with ISh+ is that the battery pack has to be split in half because of the driveshaft. So they will have to either accept a smaller capacity or intrude trunk space. Being RWD in this case is actually a liability.

Reactions
It's sort of crazy, i'm seeing positive reactions to this in comment sections, with a focus on the IS driving well.

I'm seeing people on car site comment sections expecting the new IS to be a great car to drive, and are saying Lexus is known for having great driving dynamics.

This is insane. What world are we in?!
The unspoken truth is that the GS and IS cars based on the New N platform drive and handle very well, better than their direct German competition. It is their infotainment and dated powertrains that let them down.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
The unspoken truth is that the GS and IS cars based on the New N platform drive and handle very well, better than their direct German competition. It is their infotainment and dated powertrains that let them down.

I can vouch for GS that it was much better car overall than previous BMW 5 series. A6 could only put up a fight in interior if you could get it really properly equipped. E-class of that time was a disaster so I'm not even going to comment on it.

In the case of IS I'm not so sure if it was anything better than 3 or A4 in any aspect of the game. It's interior was bad from the get go (they wanted to scale down the GS interior and save money in the process) and driving it wasn't really inspiring or what you would expect from small premium sedan. Not saying that it was worse or better than competition but from the very start it didn't have many advantages so it only got worse as time went by. I really don't understand why they didn't bother to refresh the interior earlier. On contrary that same interior in RC-F doesn't bother me cause you sit low and have those awesome seats and thick padded door trims, it just feels a lot more proper than in IS. Also touchpad instead of controller is a nice bonus.