meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Anyone have any idea what the reason for the postponing may be? If I had to guess it would be all the stuff going on in America and a couple other countries. A lot of other major companies including Sony have delayed things out of respect for the movement.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
1. Respect for what's going on and the voices that need to be heard on more important subjects.

2. The realization that the car's "media moment" will be completely blacked out by what's going on, so it's a bad time to try to launch anything new.

That is understandable. But concerning point one, is this a new PR trend (if yes, since when?) or has this always been done?

By those reasons it will never be the right time, the way the world is going it gets only worse. And there is war torn Middle East that has been going for ages, not to mention never ending issues in Africa...

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
What exactly does a new car reveal have to do with civil tensions exactly?
1. Respect for what's going on and the voices that need to be heard on more important subjects.

2. The realization that the car's "media moment" will be completely blacked out by what's going on, so it's a bad time to try to launch anything new.
A VERY well said and succinct summary of the why 2021 IS is being delayed. Automotive News is more expansive on the subject:

June 05, 2020
Lexus delays planned reveal of IS
LARRY P. VELLEQUETTE

Toyota Motor Corp. has postponed the online reveal of the redesigned 2021 Lexus IS sedan that had been planned for June 9 in the wake of ongoing civil unrest in the U.S. over the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis.

Lexus issued a two-sentence press release today, saying it "has respectfully postponed the world premiere of the new IS, which was originally scheduled for June 9. Revised timing will be announced soon."

The Japanese automaker also issued a statement Wednesday decrying "unacceptable bigotry and a lack of education around the COVID-19 virus to more recent societal issues of violence, killings and racism against African Americans in Minnesota, Kentucky, Georgia and elsewhere." It had planned to introduce the redesigned luxury sports sedan from its headquarters in Plano, Texas. Lexus announced the online event on Monday and released a teaser image with the announcement.

Floyd, a 46-year-old African American, died May 25 in Minneapolis after Derek Chauvin, a white police officer, knelt on Floyd's neck for eight minutes and 46 seconds while Floyd was handcuffed face down in the street.

The incident, captured on a cellphone video, set off waves of protests nationwide and across the world. Chauvin and three other Minneapolis Police officers were fired and face felony charges in the incident. A memorial service was held for Floyd on Thursday in Minneapolis.

https://www.autonews.com/cars-conce...-reveal?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

That is understandable. But concerning point one, is this a new PR trend (if yes, since when?) or has this always been done?

By those reasons it will never be the right time, the way the world is going it gets only worse. And there is war torn Middle East that has been going for ages, not to mention never ending issues in Africa...

Fair observations. Something to keep in mind, however, is that with IS being withdrawn from Europe and (seemingly) China, it joins the ranks of GX, arguably CT and the now-discontinued HS and GS (post-7ES) as niche regional products excluded from certain major Lexus markets. The 2021 IS launch is relevant only in Japan, Australia, Canada and the U.S. among the marque's major markets. And, among those, the latter is by far the biggest for IS. Add the fact that, per Automotive News the launch is to take place in Plano, Texas, and the delay, while frustrating, is totally understandable.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
20-06-07-lexus-is-teaser-2021.jpg

Lexus has postponed their reveal of the 2021 IS sedan scheduled for June 9th — here’s their full press release on the subject:

Lexus has respectfully postponed the world premiere of the new IS, which was originally scheduled for June 9. Revised timing will be announced soon.

Given that the USA is the major market for the IS sedan, the decision to postpone the vehicle launch is understandable and appropriate. Now is not the time to debut a new car.

Continue reading...

mordecai

Follower
Reactions
Looks like they have altezza lights. Why do they like them so much? It looks so cheap. 😢

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Here's the text from the Lexus Global Newsroom release announcing the revised 2021 IS unveiling, including new links for viewing:

Lexus to Reveal the New IS on June 15th / 16th, 2020
Lexus plans to hold the world premiere of the new Lexus compact RWD sport sedan IS online, at 8:00 am Japan Standard Time on June 16, 2020.

The program will include a digital press conference in the US, where it will debut at 7:00 pm Eastern Daylight Saving Time on June 15.
Please join the digital press conference at this link URL Facebook*

The digital press conference film will also be available at URL https://discoverlexus.com/highlights/new-is-digital-reveal

*please note that this Facebook link replaces the one previously announced.

https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/lexus/32862154.html

D

DDas

I'm going to try to be a positive person here: I think a lot of people are upset that this should be a full-redesigned. I completely agree.
BUT I think we need to address a few things:
1. The IS was rumored to be canceled soon. We should be thankful that we get (at least) 2-3 years still of this model. Maybe, as enthusiasts we can be more diligent than we were with the GS into showing Lexus we want to keep the IS and do not want to see it die.
2. In hoping for the best, maybe, Lexus is doing what they did to the LX. They gave the Lexus LX a facelift with a spindle grille back in 2013/4 then a recent one in (I believe) 2015/6 which was MUCH MORE major. It is already confirmed there WILL BE another LX. Maybe with the IS, Lexus is trying to work more on perfecting the next generation, but knew people wanted something different/new so they gave us this major overhaul.
3. Keep in mind: Lexus also did what I said in #2 with the LS. Now, this is different because Lexus had just introduced the spindle grille and wanted all their models to have it, and that's why the LS received it and then was redesigned a year or so after. BUT Lexus did give it a major overhaul with a redesigned interior. It seems this is what Lexus does. I mean - sort of did with the GX too.
4. I think with the GS dead, Lexus needs something to fill the sports sedan category. I would not be surprised if the (actual) next IS coming maybe in 2022 as a 2023 model will grow a lot to help keep some GS buyers.

Anyways, I am very excited for this IS reveal! Hope to see a more luxurious interior like the rumors suggest. The new teaser also, in my opinion, makes the continuous taillight look a lot better than the dark teaser. I will definitely miss the current tails, though.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
NEW_Rear_Teaser_2-1-e1591905698787-1500x675.jpg

Lexus has announced that the new 2021 IS sedan will be revealed on June 15th, sharing the image above and this short video:

From the video, it’s clear this is an evolutionary refresh of the existing IS, rather than a next-generation model. Also, it looks like the 3.5L V6 IS 350 is here to stay for the foreseeable future.
The reveal will be broadcast live on Facebook, check back Monday for the full details!

Continue reading...

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
I think with the GS dead, Lexus needs something to fill the sports sedan category. I would not be surprised if the (actual) next IS coming maybe in 2022 as a 2023 model will grow a lot to help keep some GS buyers.
The 2021 model year facelift is actually expected to be built for 3 years. It's during the 2023 calendar year (for the 2024 model year) that either we'll see a new 4th-generation or see IS discontinued.