internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
I keep telling myself this. Only time will tell.

It will be released. Why would they pre-select that particular question from maybe a dozen ones?

They beefed up the driving dynamics and will ready the ISF in due time. There's no question about that unless Lexus is happy with just the RCF track/no-track with Lexus TVD, now that the GSF is no more.

They would have left the 3.2IS as is if it it didn't want to put in chassis/suspension improvements until the product sunsets. 311 HP V6 doesn't even test the capability of this new chassis at that Japanese test track.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions

That picture is from the huge, 72-picture dump from the Toyota Global Newsroom. And I just reread the Lexus USA and Canada Newsroom 2021 IS releases. The Canadian one is pretty much a copy-paste of the U.S. one, but, notably, the common Fast, Fun, Ferocious - Putting the “F” in F SPORT section's introduction varies by country.

The U.S. version starts with "The IS F SPORT lineup is restructured in the 2021 model year, as F SPORTs will only be offered on the IS 350 powered by the 311-horsepower 3.5-liter V6 engine". The Canadian version, on the other hand, lacks that sentence and leads off with the U.S. version's second sentence: "F SPORT features a host of visual and performance cues that immediately set it apart, including a unique front bumper with functional aerodynamic enhancements, rear bumper, grille surround, rear lip spoiler, rocker molding and more".

That tells me that the F Sport-as-IS 350-only is an exclusively U.S. thing, and that Canada, Japan and other markets will continue to offer IS 300 and probably even IS 300h as F Sports.

joepac

Fan
Reactions
Dai Yoshihara was in the video and was able to drive the car on the track. I left a comment on his IG and asked how the car drove. Specifically about the handling changes vs the 3IS and his opinion on its power.

He replied "Yes for sure! Big Improvements. (re:handling) but it did feel underpowered."

Take it for what it is.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
Is the IS hybrid (IS 300h) coming to the U.S./North America? If so, I'm truly excited about this and this might be one of my next vehicles. Can't wait!

BenzCity

Fan
Reactions
Is the IS hybrid (IS 300h) coming to the U.S./North America? If so, I'm truly excited about this and this might be one of my next vehicles. Can't wait!

It is not. There is no mention of the hybrid in the US press release.

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The 2GR-FKS has not been in use since 2006 because it would be labelled as a redesigned engine by other manufacturers. The change from FSE to FKS is bigger than, say, from N55 to B58. It still is the most efficient naturally-aspirated V6 engine with highest specific output in its class. The problem is not with the IS350 but rather the lack of something above it.

this is a good point. Germans frequently label these updates as brand new engines, and thus give impression of updating them on yearly basis.

ACEtheOG

Founding Member
Reactions
Came across this
It will be released. Why would they pre-select that particular question from maybe a dozen ones?

They beefed up the driving dynamics and will ready the ISF in due time. There's no question about that unless Lexus is happy with just the RCF track/no-track with Lexus TVD, now that the GSF is no more.

They would have left the 3.2IS as is if it it didn't want to put in chassis/suspension improvements until the product sunsets. 311 HP V6 doesn't even test the capability of this new chassis at that Japanese test track.

Came across this photoshop on IG. Looks really good.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Omg ^

source.gif

mordecai

Follower
Reactions
The stance of the new IS is amazing, particularly when viewing the side profile. It almost looks like a hybrid of 3GS and 3IS, and improved upon them. The sculpting of the side panels, reconfiguration of the c pillar and window kink, the body lines on the sides and on the hood, the sleek headlights, the confident shape of the spindle grille, the fog light area/enclosure.

The new wheels are also some of the best since the LFA. It’s been a damn, long time.

Lexus, whichever team was responsible for this redesign: put them ALL on the design team for your upcoming products. Top notch work and almost carries this redesign by itself.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
The exterior is just too good looking, but I'll probably never see it in real life in Europe.

Imagine importing one of these to Europe?

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
The stance of the new IS is amazing, particularly when viewing the side profile. It almost looks like a hybrid of 3GS and 3IS, and improved upon them. The sculpting of the side panels, reconfiguration of the c pillar and window kink, the body lines on the sides and on the hood, the sleek headlights, the confident shape of the spindle grille, the fog light area/enclosure.

The new wheels are also some of the best since the LFA. It’s been a damn, long time.

Lexus, whichever team was responsible for this redesign: put them ALL on the design team for your upcoming products. Top notch work and almost carries this redesign by itself.

Isnt the LC designer/lead the new Lexus boss?

Can we just appreciate this was a major model refresh, and it looks this good. Once this dude has his way with new ground up products I think we may see some good looking vehicles in the future.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Uhhh... Isn't an AWD IS300 a V6 only?

Fair point, but I'd think if you wanted to make F sport a limited higher end offering, why the compromised V6? If you're gonna give up all the "I just want it to look good and fast and will you finance this for me?" money, seems weird to me to make it not available only on IS350 or across everything. I thought they pitched their turbos as fun to drive. Harder to claim without f sport.