2020 Toyota Raize

Motor

Expert
Reactions
2020 Toyota Raize Is The RAV4’s Smaller Sibling, Debuts Next Week
Several pictures of the 2020 Toyota Raize have surfaced online ahead of its debut in Japan next month.

Following in the footsteps of the RAV4, the Raize has a trapezoidal grille which is flanked by sweptback headlights. Further below, we can see vertical intakes with circular fog lights and horizontal LED daytime running lights.

The model is based on the upcoming Daihatsu Rocky and will ride on the Daihatsu New Global Architecture (DNGA) which is essentially a budget version of Toyota’s TNGA platform. The crossover will slot beneath the C-HR and reportedly measure 157.3 inches (3995 mm) long, 63.8 inches (1620 mm) wide and 66.7 inches (1695 mm) tall with a wheelbase that spans 99.4 inches (2525 mm).

Power will reportedly be provided by a turbocharged 1.0-liter three-cylinder engine that develops around 98 hp (73 kW / 99 PS) and 103 lb-ft (140 Nm) of torque. It will likely be paired to a six-speed manual and a continuously variable transmission. All-wheel drive is also expected to be available, but should learn more next week.
d497f342-toyota-raize-1.jpg

9783c953-toyota-raize-2.jpg

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Cool little car. Exactly what they need in many markets.

On the other hand it's sad to see Reiz the mid-size drift sedan gone and here comes Raize the tiny crossover. How much has the world changed.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Cute, and it should sell well. The name is a little on the nose about it being essentially a hatchback on stilts, but I'll take honesty where I can get it.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
They wanted to give spotlight to Daihatsu Rocky, afterall it is originally Daihatsu's DN Trek concept.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
The front end of the Daihatsu version reads as "Mazda" to me.

Anyone remember their US market ads with the line "Daihatsu, from Japan!" in the late 80s?

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
If this is on the DNGA architecture, it's NOT the rumored new Yaris-derived crossover (that would be on TNGA-B).

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
DNGA = TNGA
Yes and no. DNGA is the smallest of the New Global Architectures, and is scalable from 550cc-engined kei cars to 1-liter-engined vehicles. There is a rumored (and yet-to-be-unveiled) TNGA-A that may or may not be the same thing as DNGA. That would probably be earmarked for the next-generation Toyota Aygo given the end of the Toyota/PSA collaboration in the A-sized city car segment. Next up is TNGA-B (just unveiled in the new B-segment Yaris), then TNGA-C (C-segment Corolla and Prius) and finally TNGA-K (D-segment Camry and above) as the transverse-engined, FWD-centric New Global Architectures.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Yes and no. DNGA is the smallest of the New Global Architectures, and is scalable from 550cc-engined kei cars to 1-liter-engined vehicles. There is a rumored (and yet-to-be-unveiled) TNGA-A that may or may not be the same thing as DNGA. That would probably be earmarked for the next-generation Toyota Aygo given the end of the Toyota/PSA collaboration in the A-sized city car segment. Next up is TNGA-B (just unveiled in the new B-segment Yaris), then TNGA-C (C-segment Corolla and Prius) and finally TNGA-K (D-segment Camry and above) as the transverse-engined, FWD-centric New Global Architectures.

Toyota also trademarked the Agya and Wigo (same as the Daihatsu Ayla) names for ChDM which could mean them bringing this A-segment car there. A new generation will most likely be based on TNGA-A, which I suspect is the exact same thing as DNGA.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Just noticed it has instrument panel from new Yaris, as well as significant other pieces of interior (dashboard) :)

This is likely going to be small B class CUV in Europe that will be produced in France. I would guess they will update materials/colors/engines to those similar to new Yaris as well.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Just noticed it has instrument panel from new Yaris, as well as significant other pieces of interior (dashboard) :)

This is likely going to be small B class CUV in Europe that will be produced in France. I would guess they will update materials/colors/engines to those similar to new Yaris as well.
I'm not really convinced that'll be the case. Per their official Toyota Global Newsroom releases, Toyota Raize / Daihatsu Rocky are on DNGA (Daihatsu New Global Architecture), which is used primarily on kei microcars but stretchable to 1-liter A segment, while the new Toyota Yaris kicks off the larger TNGA-B architecture. Granted, the dimensions between the two are close (Raize is on a 35mm shorter wheelbase and is 50mm narrower than the European version of the latest Yaris, with Raize being 45mm longer). And, while the dashboards look similar at a glance, the major components don't appear to be interchangeable.

004.jpg

Toyota Raize (above}

20191220_01_54.jpg

2020 Japanese Toyota Yaris (above)

Bottom line: @spwolf may turn out to be correct in his suspicions that Toyota Raize will be the Yaris-derived B-segment crossover to be built in Valenciennes, France, but I respectfully disagree. I think it'll be something different that'll be a bit larger than Raize but smaller than C-HR.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
As to the size, I expect Toyota to have 4m, 4.2m, 4.4m and 4.6m CUVs in next 2-3 years in Europe.
I agree with you there. Here's some commentary on each size bracket you mention:

4m: Toyota Raize on DNGA. The Kolin, Czech Republic plant that currently builds the Toyota Aygo, Citroën C1 and Peugeot 108 is scheduled to be abandoned by PSA in 2021, leaving it as a solely Toyota facility. Around that point, a 3rd-gen Aygo (either solely developed by Toyota or as a Daihatsu collaboration) is due, and it's not much of a stretch to imagine an Aygo-derived crossover built there as well. The current Aygo itself, however, is just under 3.5 meters long.

4.2m: Toyota doesn't currently offer anything in that size bracket, but this would probably be where a TNGA-B (Yaris platform) crossover built in Valenciennes, France would fit in. (Although the latest Yaris itself is just under 4 meters long). For reference, 4.2 meters is the length of the 2nd-generation RAV4 4-door.

4.4m: The current C-HR (TNGA-C) is 4360mm long.

4.6m: The current RAV4 (TNGA-K) is 4595mm long.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
there will be 4.3M TJ Cruiser in Japan, according to Japanese media... who knows if it will happen but I see reports around.

I suspect that something like Raize would be Yaris CUV while Aygo will stay similar size as today. Suzuki has Ignis in Europe and it is perfect size.