2020 Toyota 4Runner Updates (TSS-P, Android Auto, CarPlay, Army Green color, etc)

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Some hard head will still argue against reliability although like we see 8AR is a pretty reliable engine, also we see prius's run over 500k so their tech only gets better, just the turbo but even that I think won't be expensive to replace relatively compared to other turbo cars.
I have a ‘23 Pro on order and I’d be absolutely tickled if these hard heads pay me top dollar for my 1GR + 5AT when the time comes to move on. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love my 2016, and I’m sure I’ll love my Pro, but the T24 + hybrid should be a peach.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
How they got 460N.m out of 2.4L displacement and 11.0:1 compression ratio is completely beyond me. No other company could get over 190N.m/L on such high compression ratio because boost pressure and compression ratio are (usually) mutually exclusive. Most could get up to 150N.m/L on 11.0:1, 175N.m/L on 10.5:1 and 200N.m/L on 10.0:1.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
Ha! I may be a hard-head, but as someone who has owned 4Runners and been a part of the Toyota off-road community for 20+ years, I like to think I know a thing or two. I’ve driven places most 4Runner owners will never go. The T24 hybrid would be a stellar setup for people who never drive a 4Runner places a Prius couldn’t go, but I’m extremely sceptical that a hybrid will be able to handle mile after mile of washboard, whoops, and water crossings (especially this!).

I’d prefer the simplicity of a NA engine, but I’m not opposed to forced induction. Built 4Runners, and especially Tacomas with all the additional weight in armor, tires, extra fuel/water, fridges, roof top tents, etc are already slow with a 4.0, and even worse with the 3.5. It’s pathetic to think that after 20 years of releasing the 4.0, Toyota can only offer an engine with an extra ~40lb-ft of torque. A detuned V35 would do the 4Runner and Tacoma wonders.

Meanwhile, Bronco Raptors are putting out 400hp and Jeep Wranglers with the V8 are putting out 475hp. Toyota has done some amazing stuff with their latest round of turbo engines, but they’re smoking some good stuff if they think a T24 hybrid 4Runner will be competitive with a Bronco or Wrangler.

Anyway, sorry, I’ll stop rambling. Peace out y’all.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
but I’m extremely sceptical that a hybrid will be able to handle mile after mile of washboard, whoops, and water crossings (especially this!).
That's why they strictly place the battery pack under the rear seat not in the frame like Ford does. The battery is not exposed to any environment element and does not bear any stress from the frame. This means their packaging is worse and weight is higher but maximizes durability.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
That's why they strictly place the battery pack under the rear seat not in the frame like Ford does. The battery is not exposed to any environment element and does not bear any stress from the frame. This means their packaging is worse and weight is higher but maximizes durability.
Toyota does everything for a reason. May be 1 step back but 2 steps forward in reality

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Yea, I'm not worried about the longterm hybrid durability. It will be an electric motor in place of the torque converter and a battery. Nothing crazy.

I also have no reason to think that Toyota is going to reduce the durability of trucks/SUVs that sell on durability. They kept solid rear axles; they kept body on frame. If they'd moved more into Land Rover or Jeep Grand Cherokee space, I'd question what the vehicle's targets were and thus the durability questions would start coming up when you really get off the beaten path.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
The Sequoia and by some accounts the Tundra displayed the packaging sacrifices Toyota had to make with regards to integrating hybrid systems. By moving down a size, and unless they got real creative with packaging, its going to be an interesting time on the interior dimensions.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The Sequoia and by some accounts the Tundra displayed the packaging sacrifices Toyota had to make with regards to integrating hybrid systems. By moving down a size, and unless they got real creative with packaging, its going to be an interesting time on the interior dimensions.
Bipolar NiMH batteries. Look at the Crown/RX500h chassis images, those bipolar NiMH batteries are very compact. In the RX500h it's 72kW of power but barely half the height of the rear seat. That's twice the power of the NiMH battery used in the current iForce Max powertrain.
powertrain_1_1.jpg

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Isn't the only Tundra compromise that the rear seats don't fold up in the hybrid for under seat storage? The Sequoia has captains chairs on many trims, so the 2nd row isn't a good place for the battery. That, combined with the solid rear axle, is how the battery ended up under the 3rd row with the really high load floor when the 3rd row is stowed. I expect that the 4Runner would have the battery under the 2nd row bench.

Reactions
This is from Glenn Brooks at Just-Auto, just posted today. He reports on all automotive manufacturers across the globe and generally has the 10-year outlook for all of them (which you can pay for that info from the site if you wish). In the middle of this edition is the 4Runner and it appears to be a 2024 reveal for a 2025 MY 4Runner.

Toyota future SUV plans revealed​

After the recent overview of selected next generation cars, MPVs and pick-ups, this second of two reports on the Toyota brand examines crossovers and SUVs.

By Glenn Brooks

Toyota-bZ-Compact-SUV-1038x778.jpg
bZ Compact SUV concept

IC engine crossovers & SUVs​

As makes such as Peugeot, Citroen, Opel-Vauxhall and Ford exit the region’s A segment, so Toyota Motor Europe benefits.
The Aygo X (Aygo Cross), TME’s smallest vehicle, was revealed in November 2021. The 3,700 mm long five-door crossover has lots of black and grey exterior detailing and can be specified with a full-length canvas roof.
All variants are powered by Toyota’s 1KR-FE engine, which has three cylinders and a capacity of 998 cc. A five-speed manual gearbox is standard and a CVT optional. There is neither turbocharging nor any form of electrification.

Production of this GA-B platform model commenced towards the end of Q1. The mid-life facelift probably won’t happen until the end of 2026 and the life cycle should be nine years.

As part of a wider collaboration, Suzuki and Toyota stated in March 2019 that Vitara Brezza production by Toyota Kirloskar Motor Pvt. Ltd. would commence from 2022. TKM is the manufacturing and distribution JV under which Toyota operates in the Indian market.
What had hitherto been known by its D22 codename was announced as the Urban Cruiser Hyryder in July.
This 4,365 mm long SUV is available as a mild hybrid, powered by a 76 kW (103 PS) and 137 Nm Suzuki 1.5-litre engine or as a hybrid. The latter uses a Toyota powertrain. This consists of a 68 kW (92 PS) and 122 Nm 1.5-litre engine and a motor which produces 58 kW (79 PS) and 141 Nm. Combined power for the hybrid is 85 kW (115 PS). While the HEV is front-wheel drive, all-wheel drive is available for the mild hybrid.
Maruti Suzuki’s twin is the Grand Vitara. Build of both should endure until 2029 with a facelift in 2026.

The brand’s biggest selling SUV globally is of course the RAV4. As the fifth generation had its mid-cycle facelift in 2021, the lead plant will commence production of generation six in 2024. Certain other sites will however build the model first launched in late 2018 until perhaps the end of 2024.
In North America, the next RAV should debut for the 2025 model year.
The Japanese market’s next Crown was revealed at a presentation in Japan two months ago. Toyota didn’t state when this sedan would become available or indeed, any details about it.
In fact, pre-production examples of four different Crown models were shown at the event: a 4,930 mm long Crown crossover sedan, a Crown crossover (which was labelled an ‘Estate type’), a Crown SUV (‘Sport type’) and the future Crown sedan. As the outgoing model was only launched in mid-2018, the successor might not arrive in production form until 2024 but 2023 is certainly possible.
Arguably the most important of the four is the crossover sedan. That’s because it was simultaneously revealed by Toyota Motor Sales USA and Toyota Canada as a new vehicle for the 2023 model year. In those markets, the Crown effectively replaces the Avalon. Although it has a sloping boot/trunk, the rear window is fixed.
In North America, where a car called Crown has not been available for 50 years, there are three model grades – XLE, Limited and Platinum- plus two powertrain choices, each of which is a hybrid, with all-wheel drive standard.
Toyota has not yet stated when the Crown (crossover sedan) becomes available in any market but Q4 for Japan and North America seems likely. Production for the home market at least, is at two domestic plants: Motomachi and Tsutsumi.
Looking at two large body-on-frame models, the sixth generation 4Runner is likely to be revealed in 2024. This will probably be at the State Fair of Texas, production commencing soon after. As per the current one, the 2025 model year 4Runner will share much with the Tundra pick-up.
Insiders have stated that a hybrid biturbo V6 will be standard. GA-F, TMC’s latest body-on-frame chassis, is said to be the basis of this forthcoming SUV.
Production of a new Sequoia , an even bigger RWD/4WD separate chassis SUV, started recently. Among the major changes is the replacement of the former 5.7-litre V8 by a turbocharged 3.5-litre hybrid V6. Toyota calls this 3,445 cc engine i-Force Max.
The hybrid powertrain has combined outputs of 437 hp and 583 lb ft and there is a ten-speed automatic transmission. A 36 kW (48 hp) and 250 Nm (184 lb-ft) motor is positioned between the engine and gearbox, while the nickel-metal hydride battery has a capacity of 1.87 kWh.
As for production, this takes place in Texas, the San Antonio plant having lost build of the Tacoma to make way for the Sequoia.
The life cycle should be a decade, a facelift being expected for the ’28 model year.

Electric crossovers & SUVs​

Toyota Motor Corporation revealed an array of electric Toyota and Lexus prototypes and concepts plus the then soon to be launched Toyota bZ4X at a special event in December 2021. Among them was the boxy and retro ‘Compact Cruiser EV’.
Made even more eye catching by light blue paint and an orange slash on each D pillar, the concept is reportedly headed for production within the next three years.
This might be the 4.2 m long SUV which Toyota and Suzuki are co-developing. The latter company’s model is codenamed YY8.
Several other B/C segment models were also uncovered at last year’s showcase. Not much is yet known about the ‘Small SU EV’, a bZ small crossover for Japan and Europe or a ‘bZ Compact SUV’. One of these – potentially wearing a bZ2 badge – will probably replace the C-HR. While that might seem like an illogical move which would upset dealers in the US and Canada, the C-HR has not been too successful in North America. So a replacement, particularly if it’s electric, would be better suited to other regions.
Two other models previewed at the December 2021 event were a larger ‘Crossover EV‘ plus the lengthier ‘bZ Large SUV‘. Each should be introduced in 2024 or 2025.
What has become the bZ vehicles project was first publicised by Toyota and its partner Subaru in June 2019. Back then, they each announced the development of a dedicated architecture for battery-electric vehicles. This platform would initially be for models in the C, D, and E segments.
The first models from the JV are all-wheel drive crossovers for the Subaru and Toyota brands. The project has since been expanded to include Hino, Daihatsu, Lexus, Suzuki, Mazda and Denso and for vehicles in many segments.
Toyota revealed clay mock-ups of six proposed EVs at a presentation called Aiming to Popularize BEVs on 7 June 2019. The half dozen were a large SUV, a medium SUV, a medium crossover, a medium minivan, a medium sedan and a compact.
The letters b and Z (‘Beyond Zero’) plus a number and an X for all-wheel drive applications is how Toyota names its new generation of EVs.
So far, we’ve seen only the bZ4X in production form. This e-crossover was previewed by a concept of the same name revealed at the Shanghai motor show in April 2021. The company also stated that production would take place in both Japan and China. In the latter market, FAW Toyota has the bZ4X but GAC Toyota will also have a model which is very similar. That vehicle’s name is yet to be disclosed.
The 4,690 mm long bZ4X was first officially detailed in October 2021. It is around the same size as the RAV4, has a 71.4 kWh battery and a steer-by-wire system which can include a wing-shaped steering wheel in some cars which needs only to be turned through 150 degrees lock-to-lock. Mechanical steering is also available.
The single motor of front-wheel drive variants produces 150 kW, 0-100 km/h takes 8.4 seconds and the maximum WLTP range is 499 km (310 miles). AWD versions have an 80 kW motor on each axle, 0-100 km/h takes 7.7 seconds and WLTP range is 459 km (285 miles). The minimum weight is 1,920 kg.
CATL is the battery supplier for bZ4Xs built in China but for cars made in Japan (Motomachi in Toyota City), there are two suppliers: CATL and Prime Planet Energy & Solutions. The latter is a Panasonic and Toyota JV. The Japanese market sales launch commenced in May.
Subaru’s equivalent of the bZ4X is the Solterra. Their life cycles will surely also be twinned, meaning each should have some restyling touches in 2026, potential successors appearing in 2029.
This was the second of two features about certain Toyota brand future vehicles, the first one having concerned cars, MPVs and pick-ups. The subjects of the next and final two reports, rounding out a series on Toyota Motor brands and subsidiaries, will be Perodua and Daihatsu, followed by Lexus.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
"Looking at two large body-on-frame models, the sixth generation 4Runner is likely to be revealed in 2024. This will probably be at the State Fair of Texas, production commencing soon after. As per the current one, the 2025 model year 4Runner will share much with the Tundra pick-up."

Yeah, not seeing the credibility here...

A lot of this information is publicly available from Toyota but spun as "knowing" with assumptions for model years. That render of a small bZ CUV looks cool though.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Bipolar NiMH batteries. Look at the Crown/RX500h chassis images, those bipolar NiMH batteries are very compact. In the RX500h it's 72kW of power but barely half the height of the rear seat. That's twice the power of the NiMH battery used in the current iForce Max powertrain.
powertrain_1_1.jpg
Is this being used in the Hybrid BOF variants to be launched, like the LX?

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
It looks like 2023 4Runners no longer have Army Green as a color choice, and Lime Rush is now available on some trims. Army Green was my favorite 4Runner color, and I’m bummed to see it gone. Lime Rush just looks like metallic vomit to me. The Electric Lime on the Tacoma is way better.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
I stumbled on a YouTube video of ToyotaJeff talking about 2024 4Runner. According to him, Lunar Rock, Magnetic Grey, and Lime Rush will no longer be available. Underground is replacing Magnetic Grey and will also be one of four colors available for the TRD Pro. Solar Octane will be an option on some non TRD Pro models. Terra will be the 2024 TRD exclusive color.

IMO, Lime Rush is the ugliest color Toyota has released on the 4Runner, so I’m not surprised to see it dropped. I am still bitter about Army Green not being offered anymore. Underground should look really good though.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
I believe that Army Green was dropped after MY22. My order of the Pro colors from best to worst are Lunar Rock, Solar Octane, Voodoo Blue, Cavalry Blue, Cement, Army Green, Quicksand, <some distance> Lime Rush. 100% agree regarding Lime Rush and Electric Lime. There's some gold/bronze undertone in the Lime Rush that really makes it worse. I never thought I'd be an orange person, but my Solar Octane 4Runner really is a looker. Loving it so far.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
I believe that Army Green was dropped after MY22. My order of the Pro colors from best to worst are Lunar Rock, Solar Octane, Voodoo Blue, Cavalry Blue, Cement, Army Green, Quicksand, <some distance> Lime Rush. 100% agree regarding Lime Rush and Electric Lime. There's some gold/bronze undertone in the Lime Rush that really makes it worse. I never thought I'd be an orange person, but my Solar Octane 4Runner really is a looker. Loving it so far.

That is correct. 2022 was the last year for Army Green on the 4Runner. In 2023 Lime Rush replaced it.

I actually kinda like Electric Lime on the Tacoma. The color has a lot of flop in it, and it really pops in the sun. I don’t know why Toyota didn’t offer it on the 4Runner. I believe 2022 was the only year that the 4Runner, Tacoma, and Tundra all had different TRD Pro colors.

My favorite colors on the 4Runner is Army Green, followed by Calvary Blue, Cement, Lunar Rock, and Quick Sand. Personally not a fan of the bright colors, but Voodoo Blue has been growing on me. I think I’m going to really like Underground.

Motor

Expert
Reactions

• New Terra Exterior Color for TRD Pro
  • 2024 4Runner Available in 2WD or 4WD, with Seating for up to Seven
  • All 2024 4Runner Feature Standard Blind Spot Monitor + Rear Cross Traffic Alert
  • Toyota Safety Sense (TSS-P) Standard on All Grades
1696343810999.jpeg