2020 Toyota 4Runner Updates (TSS-P, Android Auto, CarPlay, Army Green color, etc)

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Props to toyota and their customers for allowing such a platform to exist for such a time without much modification.

The toyota bOf crowd is a tough crowd to please, and I assume Toyota is taking notes on how to best approach these folks with the current gen Tundra.Seq.

Reactions
1663451723084.png

@Gecko if the sad face means no then that's some next level bullsh*t. Toyota will have their asses be handed to them by Ford. The new Ranger really means business and BOF Toyota customers would definitely not tolerate not having a 6-cylinder option at the least. There is a reason why people are warming up to the Tundra much easier. But god forbid if it was a 4-cylinder ONLY? Might as well kill it off. The Hybrid-Max powertrain is not impressive enough to convince people who want a bigger engine.

What are they going to do with the small Toyota truck, put in a 3-cylinder (okay if it was the G16E-GTS that would be cool though)?

I understand downsizing, but there is zero rush for Toyota to downsize like this especially when they have amazing CAFE averages. Are they trying to shoot themselves in the foot?

At least if they're being somewhat resistant to EV's (and rightfully so), then why would they not offer engine configurations that are somewhat inspiring? A turbo-hybrid 4-cylinder? Sure, but as an option. But ONLY 4-cylinders? Toyota is not reading the room correctly. Look at Honda sticking with the J35. Chevy is also sticking to the 6-cylinder. They sell well. Ford on the other hand does not sell that well with just the 4-cylinder option in the Ranger. There's a reason why Toyota outsells the Ranger by a factor of FIVE. Watch Chevy's sales go even lower with the Colorado now that they dropped the V6 option.

Last edited:

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Are product cycles the same between all the competitors or has Tacoma/4R been left by the wayside like everything else BOF and signaling of TGNA-F being their last ICE capable BOF?

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
You gotta pay to play, the GX550 will have a v6 so you step up to that. Also, nothing wrong with this 2.4L has plenty for torque already and likely be tuned for even more in the taco/4r.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Interesting difference in opinion, if ultimately the v6tt is not offered, I assume Toyota will keep the price delta between a top tier 4R and a base GX very close.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
You gotta pay to play, the GX550 will have a v6 so you step up to that. Also, nothing wrong with this 2.4L has plenty for torque already and likely be tuned for even more in the taco/4r.

Bingo.

Interesting difference in opinion, if ultimately the v6tt is not offered, I assume Toyota will keep the price delta between a top tier 4R and a base GX very close.

There is another powertrain between the 2.4T I4 and the V35A, ya know? đź‘€

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
There is another powertrain between the 2.4T I4 and the V35A, ya know? đź‘€
Updated 3.5 from the current Taco with a hybrid system? Or updated 4.0 with a hybrid system :unsure: Can't think of anything else that could be considered in between.

The new Land Cruiser oversees retains the 1GR 4.0 in lower models, so clearly Toyota still has interest in using the 4.0 on TNGA-F models, this is the only thing I could think of unless it's a brand new unannounced engine?

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
Updated 3.5 from the current Taco with a hybrid system? Or updated 4.0 with a hybrid system :unsure: Can't think of anything else that could be considered in between.

The new Land Cruiser oversees retains the 1GR 4.0 in lower models, so clearly Toyota still has interest in using the 4.0 on TNGA-F models, this is the only thing I could think of unless it's a brand new unannounced engine?
Maybe 2.4LT with hybrid. 300hp 400lb-ft+ no need for ttv6.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
Toyota has to be really careful with what engine options they offer on the 4Runner and Tacoma. The 4Runner has built a reputation based on its simplicity and dependability. That’s the beauty of the current setup, even if it’s “dated”. I think Toyota risks alienating a lot of die-hard Tacoma/4Runner enthusiasts if they go with a turbo hybrid as the only drivetrain choice. Look at the flak Land Rover received over the overly complicated Defender. I fear the same may happen with a turbo hybrid 4Runner. I just hope Toyota has done its research and isn’t just trying to appease the mall-crawler crowd. I know a lot of 4Runner enthusiasts are going to be disappointed if a turbo hybrid were the only option.

Personally, I would not want to own a turbo hybrid 4Runner. A non-hybrid 2.4T is going to have to outperform the 4.0 for me to have any interest in a 6th gen 4Runner. Or offer a 2.4T with a manual. I would really like to see the 4.0 as an option, and I’d take a 4.0 mated to 10 speed over the turbo 4. The chances of that are next to zero though.

All that being said, what happened to the insider info that claimed the Tacoma (or was it 4Runner?) was getting a V6?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Toyota has to be really careful with what engine options they offer on the 4Runner and Tacoma. The 4Runner has built a reputation based on its simplicity and dependability. That’s the beauty of the current setup, even if it’s “dated”. I think Toyota risks alienating a lot of die-hard Tacoma/4Runner enthusiasts if they go with a turbo hybrid as the only drivetrain choice. Look at the flak Land Rover received over the overly complicated Defender. I fear the same may happen with a turbo hybrid 4Runner. I just hope Toyota has done its research and isn’t just trying to appease the mall-crawler crowd. I know a lot of 4Runner enthusiasts are going to be disappointed if a turbo hybrid were the only option.

Personally, I would not want to own a turbo hybrid 4Runner. A non-hybrid 2.4T is going to have to outperform the 4.0 for me to have any interest in a 6th gen 4Runner. Or offer a 2.4T with a manual. I would really like to see the 4.0 as an option, and I’d take a 4.0 mated to 10 speed over the turbo 4. The chances of that are next to zero though.

All that being said, what happened to the insider info that claimed the Tacoma (or was it 4Runner?) was getting a V6?

I had two 5th gen 4Runners and it's hard to imagine how any modern Dynamic Force engine could be worse than the 1GR-FE aside from possibly reliability at this point? I have to believe that ~270hp and ~320lb-ft of torque via an 8AT (T24A-FTS) is going to be worlds better than 270hp and 278lb-ft via a 5AT (1GR-FE), so trouncing the performance of the current 4Runner won't be hard at all.

Let's also remember that Toyota hybrids are more reliable than even their ICE-only counterparts, so the only potential weak link here could be the turbo. We're just going to have to take the leap of faith on that one -- or not.

I'm not really a fan of downsizing + FI in general, but the 1GR-FE is so brutally ancient and outdated that I'd actually happily take a modern turbo 4cyl over it.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I think Toyota BOFs owners who believe that nothing can be better then their existing Toyota product will be unhappy.

I also think launching any product in todays supply chain limited markets, that too multiple products at the same time is going to chaotic. Folks expecting the same level of quality as a mature product, thats been in production for a decade, are going to have a rude awakening.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I had two 5th gen 4Runners and it's hard to imagine how any modern Dynamic Force engine could be worse than the 1GR-FE aside from possibly reliability at this point? I have to believe that ~270hp and ~320lb-ft of torque via an 8AT (T24A-FTS) is going to be worlds better than 270hp and 278lb-ft via a 5AT (1GR-FE), so trouncing the performance of the current 4Runner won't be hard at all.

Let's also remember that Toyota hybrids are more reliable than even their ICE-only counterparts, so the only potential weak link here could be the turbo. We're just going to have to take the leap of faith on that one -- or not.

I'm not really a fan of downsizing + FI in general, but the 1GR-FE is so brutally ancient and outdated that I'd actually happily take a modern turbo 4cyl over it.

The 8AR-FTS has been long enough in production. It is not an unreliable engine. So I think there are really no worries about that, and if there are some issues, they'll be fixed. Toyota's bZ4X has its wheels falling off, does that mean all Toyota's have their wheels falling off? No, it is an outlier. The 8AR-FTS is in line with Toyota's good reliability reputation, so T24-FTS should be no different.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
Some hard head will still argue against reliability although like we see 8AR is a pretty reliable engine, also we see prius's run over 500k so their tech only gets better, just the turbo but even that I think won't be expensive to replace relatively compared to other turbo cars.