2020 Toyota 4Runner Updates (TSS-P, Android Auto, CarPlay, Army Green color, etc)

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Despite many folks hoping for a larger refresh, Toyota showed the barely-changed 2020 4Runner in Chicago today along with the TRD Pro Sequoia, 2020 Tacoma and 2020 Rav4 TRD Off Road.

Revisions (may change as we get more information about the rest of the model line):
- TRD Pro gets standard push button start
- Inclusion of TSS-P
- New 8" head unit with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, Amazon Alexa
- Revised tachometer to accommodate TSS-P
- Slightly redesigned lower grille portion to accommodate TSS-P

2020-toyota-4runner-trd-pro.jpg

2020-toyota-4runner-trd-pro.jpg

51409480_10104889061518547_5461885927225819136_n.jpg

Reveal video:

Reactions
Android Auto and Apple Carplay :pray: Just missing LED headlights since most buyers can live with the tried and true older powerplant.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Despite many folks hoping for a larger refresh, Toyota showed the barely-changed 2020 4Runner in Chicago...

Revisions (may change as we get more information about the rest of the model line):
- TRD Pro gets standard push button start
- Inclusion of TSS-P
- New 8" head unit with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, Amazon Alexa
- Revised tachometer to accommodate TSS-P
- Slightly redesigned lower grille portion to accommodate TSS-P

Jack Hollis' speech at the 2019 Chicago Auto Show adds that the instrument panel (and not just the tachometer and 8" head unit) is new on all 2020 4Runners. And the TRD Pro news release notes the addition of 2 additional rear-seat USB ports.

4,500 rpm red line?!

What is this?
That 1GR surely has a higher red line
That is strange. Official 2019 4Runner specs note 270 hp @ 5,600 rpm and 278 lb-ft of torque @ 4,400 rpm.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Toyota got busted for photoshopping a tach from the Land Cruiser Prado/150 - thus the diesel-like redline :)

who knows what is that though... Prado's diesel redline starts at 4400 rpm, not 4500 rpm. These pics are always photoshopped but it seems like author used something else, maybe some other vehicle with similar diesel, like Hilux or something

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
who knows what is that though... Prado's diesel redline starts at 4400 rpm, not 4500 rpm. These pics are always photoshopped but it seems like author used something else, maybe some other vehicle with similar diesel, like Hilux or something

Yes, they were asked about it by Jalopnik and responded as such.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Yes, they were asked about it by Jalopnik and responded as such.

seems he just read wrong info from somewhere, lol... I actually check all of their diesels right now, nothing had 4500 rpm red line in real life. And I never saw Toyota shot down a rumor so fast.

Does that mean that Tundra diesel wont happen? They shot diesel in the USA so fast and so strong, compared to their usual "no comment" policy that I think we can strike off any future truck diesels.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Still waiting for more official information and pics of the revised dash, but I am leaning towards possibly getting a 2020 or 2021 4Runner. Rumors put the next gen off to 2023 or 2024MY, and I tend to be a refresh buyer, which would be 2025/2026.

My 2016 4Runner only has 24k miles on it right now, but if I'm going to keep a 4Runner for the next 8 years, it would be nice to have the newer features.

I am reading SOP 8/29 which means they'll likely arrive on the west coast the very last week of September.

99% sure the powertrain stays the same.

Motor

Expert
Reactions
The Adventurer: Toyota 4Runner Gains New Safety and Multimedia Tech for 2020
The Toyota 4Runner is the family-hauling, boat-towing, hill-climbing SUV that’s been getting it done for five model generations since 1984. With its core DNA as a body-on-frame, do-anything vehicle fully intact, the 4Runner crosses into 2020 with a new safety package and numerous new tech, comfort and convenience upgrades.

For 2020, the 4Runner makes Toyota Safety Sense P (TSS-P) standard on all grades, making it an even more compelling choice for the adventurous family. This advanced suite of driver-assist technologies includes Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection, Lane Departure Alert with Sway Warning System, Automatic High Beams and High-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC).

With room for up to seven, the fifth-generation 4Runner is the most capable of its proud family tree, and it’s also the most accommodating and most comfortable. For 2020, all grades debut a new instrument panel design along with a high-resolution 8-inch touchscreen display for the Audio, Audio Plus and Premium Audio systems.

At the same time, the versatile multimedia systems get even more so with the addition of Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and Amazon Alexa compatibility. Now, you can easily navigate phone content or ask Siri®, Google or Alexa to recommend the best campsites, or to perhaps find a pizza place that delivers to the woods. Rear seat passengers, meanwhile, will appreciate the addition of two USB ports to charge their devices.

The 4Runner TRD Pro, which for 2019 gained its most off-road-capable suspension ever, shares in the above upgrades while also adding standard Smart Key with Push Button Start. The SR5 Premium and TRD Off-Road Premium grades also gain this convenience feature for 2020.

Only the 2020 4Runner TRD Pro, though, gets the new TRD-branded cat-back exhaust, which gives the 270-horsepower V6 engine a powerful-sounding growl. TRD Pro also gains updated HVAC controls borrowed from the Limited. A new Army Green exterior color that’s available only on 2020 Toyota TRD Pro models will bring out your inner drill sergeant. Magnetic Gray Metallic will also enter the fold as an option on TRD Pros, while Super White and Midnight Black Metallic colors will continue.

Those opting for the top-of-the line 4Runner Limited grade can once again choose the Nightshade Special Edition that debuted for 2019. Available in Midnight Black Metallic, Magnetic Gray Metallic or Blizzard Pearl, the Nightshade Special Edition gets its name from 20-inch black wheels, and extensive black exterior trim, including: rear bumper, grille accents, exterior mirrors and door handles, window moldings, rocker panels, door garnish, roof rails, badging, front moldings, and even the exhaust tailpipe tip.

Black interior trim features include the steering wheel, center cluster and console panels, shift knob and shifter panel, and inner door grips. (With the new-for-2020 8-inch multimedia systems, just ask Siri, Google or Alexa to play the Rolling Stones’ “Paint it Black.”)
88221671-2020-toyota-4runner-trd-off-road-9.jpg

699b32ce-2020-toyota-4runner-trd-pro-8.jpg

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
AA and CP, damn this Lexus 4Runner is going to please....oh wait the GX is the 4runner corp cousin, which costs more and has not such feature...smh lol

Reactions

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
All of these upgrades are great, along with the Sequoia TRD Pro appearing, and the TRD Pro upgrades in general. One thing that makes me really wonder though is....standard push button start on all 2020 TRD Pros? Seriously? Who made this decision? I don't know a single serious off-roader that wants or even cares for push button start. In hardcore off-roading, one may argue it could even be detrimental as a regular key gives a bit more manual control of the ignition system. Not to mention the fact that the push button models are more vulnerable to theft than regular key models and no automaker, including Toyota, has yet to concretely address this security issue.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
In hardcore off-roading, one may argue it could even be detrimental as a regular key gives a bit more manual control of the ignition system.

There hasn't been manual control of the ignition system for at least a decade. The ECU is always in control, regardless of how you signal it to start the car. The security thing is real, though.

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
All of these upgrades are great, along with the Sequoia TRD Pro appearing, and the TRD Pro upgrades in general. One thing that makes me really wonder though is....standard push button start on all 2020 TRD Pros? Seriously? Who made this decision? I don't know a single serious off-roader that wants or even cares for push button start. In hardcore off-roading, one may argue it could even be detrimental as a regular key gives a bit more manual control of the ignition system. Not to mention the fact that the push button models are more vulnerable to theft than regular key models and no automaker, including Toyota, has yet to concretely address this security issue.

I hate to be bearer of bad news, "serious offroading" isnt the only thing a new 4runner would be used for. There lay alot of paven walmarts and nordstorms etc before folks venture off in the off roading category. Worst comes to worst though, you can always install a secondary cutoff switch along side the ARB fridge, OME lift, bull guard, multiple batteries most folks tend to install on these if they are venturing into ORL.

Plus, toyota can actually semi justify the market adjustments dealers are gonna ask for between this and the MY19s unlike its corporate cousin the GX where nothing has changed in any capacity lol.

Motor

Expert
Reactions
Dare to Explore: Toyota 4Runner Venture Edition New for 2020
134b62a5-2020-toyota-4runner-venture-edition-3.jpg

• Standard Yakima Megawarrior Rack and Roof Rack Crossbars
  • Features Gunmetal-Colored 17-inch TRD Wheels
  • Black Outer Mirrors, Door Handles, Rear Spoiler and Badges
  • New 2020 Multimedia System Includes 8-inch Touchscreen and Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and Amazon Alexa Compatibility
  • Toyota Safety Sense P (TSS-P) Now Standard on all 2020 4Runners

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Man that new Highlander looks sooo nice in video, in real lighting.