2019 Toyota Avalon Master Thread

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Yeah, that's right. They invested that time and money on the 2016 suspension re-do just because one person complained. :rolleyes:

sure, likely targeted demo went to SUVs so they moved it back... and point of facelift is that they always try to improve the car.

In any case, sales dropped after the facelift... but thats likely market going down. Still, people did like that harder suspension obviously or they would not have gotten such rise in sales when it was introduced.

upload_2018-1-13_23-56-7.png

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Same exact problem as any TMC vehicle with the spindle grille: it only looks great with the mesh texture, but hideous with the regular chrome strips and that's what people see most of the time.

The new Avalon has a good chance of finally leaving the american soil and land on the other side of the pacific. Words are that FAW-Toyota is axing the Crown (which is highly regarded but doesn't sell well) in favor of the Avalon just to share some elements with GAC's Camry. At least I think it looks more interesting than the JDM Crown concept which tries too hard to look like an E-Class.

And still we are not seeing new drivetrain debut. Are they holding back the Dynamic Force V6 with AWD for the ES launch?

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
sure, likely targeted demo went to SUVs so they moved it back... and point of facelift is that they always try to improve the car.

In any case, sales dropped after the facelift... but thats likely market going down. Still, people did like that harder suspension obviously or they would not have gotten such rise in sales when it was introduced.

Well, as far as the higher sales go, from what I've read on some Toyota and Avalon forums (and general comments), a number of people bought the 4Gen version thinking that it was going to be another cush-mobile like its three predecessors......and then were disappointed it wasn't. That, IMO, suggests two things....First, either they simply bought the vehicle blindly, out of previous loyalty (which is also common, BTW, with Buick/Cadillac/Lincoln sedan buyers), or the tire pressures may not have been correct on their test-drive (underinflated), which, of course, will soften up the ride and lead to a false impression.

I test-drive and sample a lot of cars, and tire PSIs are a common problem.....more often over-inflated than under, because the PDI guys at the dealership are supposed to bleed them down to recommended from the high PSI shipping levels when the cars come off the truck, yet often forget to so do. Sometimes, though, they err in the other direction and get them too low....and air/tire temperature, of course, also affects the readings. Translation: One does not always get the day-to-day ride that they first experience on the test-drive.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Anyhow.....enough about the last-generation ride and suspension. I'm looking forward to (maybe) seeing the new one at the D.C. auto show....but a number of automakers tend keep their newest products up on turntables and/or, if out on the floor, locked up or roped off.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
It looks a little *too* Lexus-like to me; if you replaced the grille and the logos and said it was the ES nobody would be the wiser.

I do appreciate CarPlay coming; hopefully it'll also be available on Lexus models.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
2019-toyota-avalon-13.jpg

2019-toyota-avalon-14.jpg

2019-toyota-avalon-15.jpg

2019-toyota-avalon-16.jpg

2019-toyota-avalon-17.jpg

2019-toyota-avalon-19.jpg

2019-toyota-avalon-20.jpg

2019-toyota-avalon-21.jpg

2019-toyota-avalon-22.jpg

2019-toyota-avalon-23.jpg

2019-toyota-avalon-24.jpg

2019-toyota-avalon-25.jpg

2019-toyota-avalon-26.jpg

2019-toyota-avalon-27.jpg

2019-toyota-avalon-28.jpg

2019-toyota-avalon-30.jpg

2019-toyota-avalon-31.jpg

2019-toyota-avalon-32.jpg

2019-toyota-avalon-33.jpg

2019-toyota-avalon-34.jpg

2019-toyota-avalon-35.jpg

2019-toyota-avalon-36.jpg

2019-toyota-avalon-37.jpg

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The front end is way way to much but otherwise I love it. Interior is fantastic.

kind of looks like updated GS... Honestly, front will become normal after you see 20 of them on the street. In general, it is pretty conservative design.

mikeavelli

Reactions
kind of looks like updated GS... Honestly, front will become normal after you see 20 of them on the street. In general, it is pretty conservative design.

This is not conservative at all. I won't get used to the grill as I still am not used to the giant Lexus grill, new Audi grills, Camry grill, Honda grills etc lol

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
This is not conservative at all. I won't get used to the grill as I still am not used to the giant Lexus grill, new Audi grills, Camry grill, Honda grills etc lol

so do you think 2013 GS is outrageous these days? Personally looks stale now... remember our reaction in 2012 when we saw it? It was eating little children for breakfast.

mikeavelli

Reactions
so do you think 2013 GS is outrageous these days? Personally looks stale now... remember our reaction in 2012 when we saw it? It was eating little children for breakfast.
The 2013 wasn't the full spindle.... it was the concept that had the full spindle....The 2013 or so GS front end is one of my favorites..

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
There may be some nice things about this new version....I won't deny that. But, IMO, the styling is a fail. Look at that center screen......looks like a ski jump. And the grille on the Touring version looks like a chipmunk stocking up for the winter LOL.

2019-toyota-avalon-limited-hybrid-interior.jpg

2019_Toyota_Avalon_Touring_exterior_03_231913F88BDE002147E16D07126E4843170883BB_low.jpg

907dbfd82bad2cfbd726d7dc1e179d7b--sunflower-seeds-snacking.jpg

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The 2013 wasn't the full spindle.... it was the concept that had the full spindle....The 2013 or so GS front end is one of my favorites..

i am not talking about how you are perceiving it today, but how we all did back in 2012... do you remember? It was called predator grille and outrageous back in 2012.... today non-fsport 2013 grille looks pedestrian and definitely not outrageous.

with time, same will happen with Avalon grille.

How do you like back and the interior?

I hope they just shorten it a bit and call it Avensis...