2019 Honda Passport

Motor

Expert
Reactions
2019 Honda Passport Makes World Debut: Adventure-Ready All-New 5-passenger SUV on Display at 2018 Los Angeles Auto Show
http://www.hondanews.com/releases/2...-suv-on-display-at-2018-los-angeles-auto-show

• Passport provides a unique blend of on- and off-road prowess with exceptional occupant and cargo hauling capability
  • 280-horsepower V6 and available sophisticated all-wheel drive system give Passport robust towing and off-road capabilities
  • Standard Honda Sensing® safety and driver-assistive tech on all trims
  • Multiple accessory options to personalize Passport ownership
Additional key product highlights include:

• Standard 280-horsepower, 3.5-liter, direct-injected V6 engine with i-VTEC® valvetrain mated to latest-generation 9-speed automatic transmission
  • Available Intelligent Variable Torque Management (i-VTM4™) torque-vectoring all-wheel drive enhances on- and off-road performance
  • Intelligent Traction Management system with available Snow, Sand and Mud modes help optimize performance for varying surface conditions
  • Standard Honda Sensing® safety and driver-assistive technology
  • Standard 20-inch alloy wheels and tires on all trims
  • Best-in-class underfloor cargo storage
  • Wide range of Honda accessories for active lifestyles, including Adventure and Urban accessory packages

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I cant believe I'm saying this, but I actually really like this Passport. Yeah, it looks a lot like the Pilot, but the subtle differences are much more masculine and less minivan-esque. Midsize, two rows with a V6 is the sweet spot and a big part of why the RX has always been so popular. CR-V and Rav-4 are smaller, narrower, 4cyl only and more "economy" but there's a market of folks who also don't need a third row (Highlander, Pilot). I'd love for Toyota to compete in this arena... or maybe just redesign the 4Runner :D

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Why dig up an old name from the 1990s?....especially since that Passport was, in fact, a rebadged Isuzu Rodeo. Honda did not design and sell any SUVs of its own design until the 1997 CR-V. This is the old Passport:

images

Chevy's doing the same thing with the Blazer.....digging up a 25-year-old name and slapping it on what is a totally different type of SUV.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
^It fits with their "travel" theme for utility vehicles: Pilot, Ridgeline, Passport.

What I don't understand is things like:

HR-V
CR-V
...then...

Passport
Pilot
Ridgeline

Same with:
C-HR
Rav4
...then...

Highlander
4Runner
Land Cruiser
Sequoia
Tacoma
Tundra

Ford's naming scheme probably makes the most sense to me, aside from the EcoSport.

Motor

Expert
Reactions
New Passport no-brainer for Honda
https://www.autonews.com/sales/new-passport-no-brainer-Honda
Without a two-row midsize crossover, Honda figured it was losing as many as 35,000 U.S. sales a year.

But with the 2019 Passport, which goes on sale Feb. 4 and will be positioned between the CR-V and Pilot, Honda thinks it has plugged that hole in its lineup.

"The primary role the vehicle serves is to keep our customers in the family," said Jay Joseph, assistant vice president of product planning at Honda Division. "In 2017, we looked at our customer outflow and we lost about 35,000 customers into this segment of vehicles, into two-row, midsize, generally V-6 powered, but more powerful SUVs."

When Honda asked former customers why they switched to a competitor, they said they were looking for something more substantial, more powerful and more sophisticated than the compact CR-V.

"But they didn't want to drive something as family-oriented as the Pilot," Joseph told Automotive News during the vehicle's media introduction here. "They didn't want that third row. They didn't want the size."

Four trims
The Passport has the same 111-inch wheelbase as the Pilot, but it is 6.2 inches shorter and 0.8 inches taller than the three-row crossover.

Honda also gave the Passport a handful of unique styling touches, such as black body cladding, a sportier front end, reworked rear gate, steeper rear window angle and 20-inch wheels in black or gray depending on the trim.

"From the beginning the team strove to not create a five-passenger Pilot," said Lara Harrington, chief engineer and Passport development leader.

Honda expects the Passport customer to be younger, single or dual-income with no children and to have a high household income.

It will be offered in four trims: Sport, EX-L, Touring and Elite, with EX-L expected to be the volume level. All-wheel drive is optional on all trims except the range-topping Elite, where it is standard. Pricing was not announced.

Light trucks
Once Honda dealers understood what was behind the brand's outflow of customers, they "demanded" a two-row midsize crossover, he said.

Honda believes the Passport will make up for the customers who have moved to other brands — and then some.

"We think this segment should enable us to do 45,000 a year," Joseph said. "That's the number that we've shared with dealers. We're not sticking to the number, but we can't build a whole lot more than that. We'd have to trade something else off."

The Passport is built alongside the Odyssey, Pilot and Ridgeline in Lincoln, Ala.

Thanks to the Passport's off-road abilities, Honda believes it will ride in the sweet spot of a group that includes the Chevrolet Blazer, Ford Edge, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Nissan Murano and Toyota 4Runner. The Passport arrives as U.S. consumers continue to shift from cars, with industry sales nearing 70 percent light trucks. Honda's sales mix is closer to 50-50, Joseph said.

"Our strategy is to keep doing what we're good at with cars," he said, "but there are more customers for us out there with light trucks.

"That's easy business for us to get. This is kind of a no-brainer for us. The segment is strong, the segment is forecasted to grow."

While taking my wife's HR-V in for service over the weekend, I got see and sit in the new Passport (Touring trim) that was on the showroom floor. It's very nice. I had some small talk with a salesman and he said that there's a lot of interest (what else is he going to say) from current Honda owners and new customers. I'd get this over the current Highlander no question.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I really wish Toyota had a product in this space... it might be hard to justify because Toyota has the 4Runner and Honda doesn't have another midsizer like that, but something like:
  • TNGA-K Midsize platform
  • Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD
  • Two rows
  • Big Cargo area
  • 300hp 2GR-FKS/8AT
  • 8.5" inches of ground clearance
Basically a Toyota RX... but maybe that would be too close to the RX itself.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
I really wish Toyota had a product in this space... it might be hard to justify because Toyota has the 4Runner and Honda doesn't have another midsizer like that, but something like:
  • TNGA-K Midsize platform
  • Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD
  • Two rows
  • Big Cargo area
  • 300hp 2GR-FKS/8AT
  • 8.5" inches of ground clearance
Basically a Toyota RX... but maybe that would be too close to the RX itself.
Toyota Harrier