2016 Election Thread: Who are you voting for?

Who are you voting for in 2016?

• Gary Johnson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donald Trump

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Hillary Clinton

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Jill Stein

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'd rather vote for a baked potato than any of these people.

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Donald Trump won 12 of the states that build light vehicles, including a slim victory in Michigan, the nation’s largest producer. Hillary Clinton won two: Illinois and California.

Not only that, but several of those states also have an extensive coal industry...something that both Hillary and Bernie Sanders (and not to mention Jill Stein) said they wanted to eliminate. The Coal-Belt regions, except for an urban/suburban area right around Pittsburgh, went for Trump by huge margins.

Reactions
Look at the maps and counties where he won... it is pretty obvious.
But also I think if you look at the stats above, a lot of UAW workers in the plants that are typically Dem went against their party's candidate. I suppose they can be lumped into the same category as "white, non-educated".

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
But also I think if you look at the stats above, a lot of UAW workers in the plants that are typically Dem went against their party's candidate.

I'd suspect that Trump's (proposed) tariff on vehicles imported and produced overseas by American manufacturers, from foreign labor that would otherwise go to UAW plants, also played a big role. The workers saw this as something that would help protect American jobs.

Reactions
http://www.autonews.com/article/20161109/OEM02/161109818/labor-union-anger-fueled-trump-in-midwest
Labor union anger fueled Trump in Midwest

Union members helped Republican Donald Trump win surprising victories in the industrial Midwest. In Ohio, Trump won a majority of votes from union members, according to exit polling, which also showed added strength for Trump in union households nationally and in other auto-producing states.

The reason, says labor expert Harley Shaiken: “Trump’s message resonated, and Clinton’s did not.”

Shaiken said Clinton may have underestimated “how much damage had been done to communities in the Midwest” as she talked about trade and the loss of manufacturing jobs. He said the UAW’s election efforts, as well as those from other unions, were swamped by the anger of Trump supporters.

“It was far more than any single union could address, and even the labor movement generally,” said Shaiken, a professor at the University of California, Berkeley.

On social media, a number of UAW members said they supported Trump in the election and chided their union for its earlier support of Hillary Clinton over her Democratic primary opponent, Bernie Sanders.

In a written statement, UAW President Dennis Williams thanked his members and retirees for their efforts during the campaign, and called for unity. However, “It’s obvious there is work to be done. We have high hopes that elected officials heard the American people loud and clear about trade, jobs, education and the inequality in this country.”

Williams is scheduled to speak to the media Thursday afternoon. However, Shaiken said the election’s outcome will likely cause the UAW to “redouble” its ongoing organizing efforts under the current labor-friendly administration.

Though he didn’t get a vote, Jerry Dias, president of Unifor — the union representing tens of thousands of Canadian auto workers — was more blunt.

“The politics of hate are not part of my beliefs and move us [backward],” Dias wrote. “My resolve to fight for progressive change is renewed.”

I'll make a supposition, most autoworkers regardless of union or non-union (like Toyota) were overwhelmingly for Trump. Pence's home state is Indiana, and he has been "friendly" to Toyota

toyota-ribbon-cutting-promo.jpg

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
In short a nation divided 50/50, based on popular vote statistics.

And thankfully today was okay in major US stock markets.

Reactions
In short a nation divided 50/50, based on popular vote statistics.

And thankfully today was okay in major US stock markets.
And now you have to deal with all these "protests" now that are happening in the major cities, and not even happening in the areas where most of the Trump voters reside.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
And now you have to deal with all these "protests" now that are happening in the major cities, and not even happening in the areas where most of the Trump voters reside.

Who did you actually vote for, Tragic (assuming it wasn't Rick Astley LOL)..........or would you rather not say?

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
As auto enthusiasts, this election could (?) ultimately affect both vehicle availability and pricing for us here in the U.S. Trump campaigned on a pledge to, if possible, impose a 35% tariff on all products (presumably including new vehicles) imported by American-badged manufacturers who move American manufacturing jobs from the U.S. to Mexico or other countries, profiting from it. His reasoning is that if American companies profit from lower taxes/wages overseas, then they still owe something for it....particularly if it adds to unemployment here at home. I won't comment directly on that, at least in this thread, except to say that, to me, it seems scary, could make some imports a lot more expensive, and could start a trade war with other countries. I voted (very reluctantly) for Trump, but I certainly don't agree with everything he says or does.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
On Monday, December 19, the election will be formalized and made official in the Electoral College. Trump is not actually President-Elect yet....he still has one more hurdle to overcome. Although, on November 8, he got more than the 270 needed Electoral votes on paper, the Electors themselves still have to actually vote (which they do on December 19). It is rare for committed Electors to defect from their stated candidate, but it has been known to happen. In 1968, a Nixon Elector defected to George Wallace, an ex-segregationist who had run that year as an Independent and won five Deep South states. That one defector, of course, wasn't enough to sway the election....which ended up 301 votes instead of 302. However, some of the Trump Electors this year will be under intense pressure from some of the media and some of Hillary's supporters to change their committed votes and not elect Trump. (to make it clear, I'm not saying I agree with this pressure, which I don't, but, in fact, it exists). Some state laws require the Electors to vote for their announced candidate....others do not bind them, and allow them to change their votes, or even vote for a write-in. What happens on the 19th will determine if Trump is actually President, or if the election is handed to someone else. In an extreme case, if no one gets 270 Electoral votes, or if it is tied at 269/269 (which is possible), then the House of Representatives would decide the election. Even with Republican control of the House, though, Trump's election still wouldn't be guaranteed......there are even some Republicans in the House who don't care for Trump, though my guess is they'd think twice before voting for Hillary.

So, if Trump gets past Monday's vote....he's in. But that vote is not a sure thing yet.