2016 Election Thread: Who are you voting for?

Who are you voting for in 2016?

• Gary Johnson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donald Trump

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Hillary Clinton

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Jill Stein

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'd rather vote for a baked potato than any of these people.

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

RAL

Reactions
I can't remember where I read this quote recently: "I'd rather have a crook flying the plane than an idiot who doesn't know how ..." hmmm

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
IT'S ELECTION DAY, YA'LL. One way or another, this is finally about to be over.

tumblr_nvw4sztOky1r7r1l7o1_500.gif

Anyone want to make a projection?

Looks like it's going to be hard for Hillary to lose it... but I won't say it can't happen.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
I saw a meme a few months ago about how Trump hates everyone but the gays, so choosing Pence allowed him to complete his perfect paradigm of hatred. It made me chuckle because at least at a superficial level, it seems true.

I'm gay, so LGBT issues are important to me personally. I don't think Republicans stand a chance of winning another presidential election until they stop waging war on social issues - it's long gone now.

I also had this theory stemming from the 2008 election that we were starting to see the Republican party fracture and fall apart, and 2012 and 2016 have pretty much proven that to be true. I think it's part of the shift that led us to Trump as the nominee. Put simply, there are too many competing interests under the "Republican" label - evangelicals, moderates, tea party, libertarians, right-leaning independents, etc. These groups don't have enough in common to unite under the same voting bloc, and they tend to not show up when their candidate doesn't become the nominee. We started to see it in 2008, for sure in 2012, and then that led to this fracture and general anger that gave us Donald Trump.

Just my .02.

Well, I figured.;) Same here, somewhat (B). I really wish the Republican party would stop doing that, as waging war on such social issues is what turns somebody like me off and that of my family. Not sure if I am overstepping to be discussing that.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
IT'S ELECTION DAY, YA'LL. One way or another, this is finally about to be over.

tumblr_nvw4sztOky1r7r1l7o1_500.gif

Anyone want to make a projection?

Looks like it's going to be hard for Hillary to lose it... but I won't say it can't happen.

I gave my prediction months ago on L.E., predicting Trump would lose based on his hate-based platform and poor business history.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Hopefully this election serves as a wake up call to Republicans... it's time for a completely new strategy.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I can't remember where I read this quote recently: "I'd rather have a crook flying the plane than an idiot who doesn't know how ..." hmmm

Given a choice like that, I'd turn my boarding-pass back in LOL. ;)

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Wow. My $100 winnings of a 2008 bet, looks like I'm about to lose $100 bet in 2016...

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
anyone apply yet?

That website actually crashed for a while last night....probably from overload.

The way I see it, the more people move to Canada, the less traffic we'll have to deal with here LOL.

Brooks2IS said:
Congratulations to both sides on hard fought campaigns.
True, but both sides went way over the line in how they conducted themselves and spoke....not to mention the MSM's relentless attacks on Trump (and some pretty significant ones against Hillary, too). Probably all of them, if they were in this forum, would have been tossed out the very first day for violating posting-standards.

Having said that, though, both Hillary's concession and Trump's victory speech last night, after an unacceptably brutal campaign, were polite and conciliatory.

Last edited:
Reactions: RAL
Reactions
Dear Democrats, Read This If You Do Not Understand Why Trump Won
Trump Is What Happens When You Nominate A Cheater and Live In An Echo Chamber—Please Learn From This

The Media Lied To Us About EVERYTHING

If you’ve been following my Twitter or Facebook account during this 2016 election you probably would have thought I was a Trump supporter. However, I am a former registered Democrat, a Bernie supporter, and consider myself a progressive libertarian. This was the first election I ended up voting 3rd party, but my second choice was Trump. I simply could not vote for Hillary Clinton because of her mishandling of classified information, and stealing the nomination from the people’s choice Bernie Sanders.

Hillary never should have been nominated in the first place. The first clue was when she was under FBI investigation, and the second clue was when she rigged the primary elections.

In an attempt to inform my friends, family, and followers I posted dozens if not hundreds of Wikileaks e-mails, and tweeted alt-right news just as much as I did liberal news. I did this because most of my followers are liberals, and I realized they were all living in an echo chamber on social media where they were not being exposed to differing opinions or news. I was mostly rejected by liberals for doing this, they didn’t understand why I was sharing things that made them uncomfortable, but now they know why. Ironically, I got far more support from Trump supporters for trying to tell Democrats the truth. I wasn’t expecting that.

I took it upon myself to understand Trump, and his supporters. What I found was millions of great Americans who had been disenfranchised, normal people like you and I, who did not recover from the Great Recession. They’re pissed off about Obama Care, endless wars, trade deals that have killed jobs, higher taxes, a rigged economy–and, they are not wrong.

Had Democrats taken the concerns of average American seriously, especially the concerns of Millennials, they would have quickly realized Hillary Clinton was not the right nominee for the Democratic party in 2016.

Brooks2IS

Premium Member
Reactions
He should've lost honestly (I couldn't vote for either of them), but the "rural, non-college educated whites" made a big difference.

So the media continues to preach, but I don't buy it. You can't win that many votes or states just off of a white uneducated voter base. Trump's voters were far more diversified than that.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
He should've lost honestly (I couldn't vote for either of them), but the "rural, non-college educated whites" made a big difference.

.........only this time, unlike in the past, they were also joined by at least some non-college African-Americans (especially in the Rust Belt) who have suffered as their jobs and industries steadily went overseas, or were taken up, here at home, by Hispanic immigrants at much lower wages. These people have suffered for years, and much of what Trump had to say clearly appealed to them.

To be factual, however, Hillary still got the lion's share of African-American votes...but not in the numbers or percentages that Obama did. That clearly hurt the Democrats.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Brooks2IS said:
So the media continues to preach, but I don't buy it. You can't win that many votes or states just off of a white uneducated voter base. Trump's voters were far more diversified than that.

Correct. :) Even a fair number of Hispanics backed Trump.....or, at least, more than you would think, given some of Trump's statements. Trump, as with Gary Johnson and Jill Stein, also got a fair number of ex-Bernie supporters....when they said, after the Democratic Convention, that they wouldn't support Hillary (or just wouldn't vote at all), they meant it.

Reactions
http://www.autonews.com/article/20161109/OEM/161109827/how-the-auto-states-voted
Donald Trump won 12 of the states that build light vehicles, including a slim victory in Michigan, the nation’s largest producer. Hillary Clinton won two: Illinois and California.

State 2016 vehicle production* Winner Trump vote by % ** Clinton vote by %
Michigan 1,857,357 Trump (R) 47.62 47.31
Ohio 1,206,171 Trump 52.05 43.51
Indiana 1,027,335 Trump 57.22 37.86
Kentucky 1,001,211 Trump 62.54 32.69
Alabama 813,803 Trump 62.86 34.58
Tennessee 604,304 Trump 61.07 34.89
Missouri 573,114 Trump 57.14 38.01
Illinois 534,838 Clinton (D) 39.4 55.42
Texas 456,181 Trump 52.55 43.47
Mississippi 414,583 Trump 58.24 39.81
South Carolina 343,696 Trump 55.63 39.93
Georgia 285,960 Trump 51.33 45.57
Kansas 136,385 Trump 57.23 36.12
California 58,935 Clinton 33.26 61.45

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions

Look at the maps and counties where he won... it is pretty obvious.

Reactions: RAL