2016 Consumer Reports Reliability Ratings

Och

Admirer
Reactions
Audis with turbocharged direct injected engine #1 in reliability? Maybe for the first 60k miles, and then they are pretty much finished for.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Audis with turbocharged direct injected engine #1 in reliability? Maybe for the first 60k miles, and then they are pretty much finished for.

Audi is not in number #1 category for reliability, only Toyota and Lexus brands are in that top category for reliability. See post #12 for correct CR reliability rankings by brand.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
Jeep's bottom-of-the-barrel rating, IMO, is probably due to the unimpressive Compass, Patriot, and the newer Fiat-based Renegade. But the excellent Grand Cherokee is one of the standouts in its class, in road-test if not in reliability.

Excellent?!?!

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
No kidding ^ , the aged JGC might seem good if it wasn't for the competitors surpassing it years ago. I've driven 2, yawn.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
No kidding ^ , the aged JGC might seem good if it wasn't for the competitors surpassing it years ago. I've driven 2, yawn.

I disagree. I'm not sure I'd own one because of the reliability risk, but IMHO it is pleasant and impressive to drive...strong refined powertrains, smooth quiet ride on-road comfortable and plush-looking interior. I know people (I won't use names) who have traded in Lexus products for them, and are very satisfied. You are correct, though, that there are some good (and in some cases, more reliable) competitors.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I disagree. I'm not sure I'd own one because of the reliability risk, but IMHO it is pleasant and impressive to drive...strong refined powertrains, smooth quiet ride on-road comfortable and plush-looking interior. I know people (I won't use names) who have traded in Lexus products for them, and are very satisfied. You are correct, though, that there are some good (and in some cases, more reliable) competitors.

Yes, "pleasant and impressive to drive...strong refined powertrains, smooth quiet ride on-road comfortable and plush-looking interior" are all common characteristics for the better crossover SUV's in that class. Those impressions can easily be reached on short superficial dealership test drives. And the more common scenario today is people trading-in JGC's for the new and popular improved RX.

Reactions
The JGC is a popular vehicle among the lease crowd, as the Jeep name has resonance and obviously screams "America", so it isn't unexpected that it might be cross-shopped by some folks against the RX. Sales are at a all-time high right now, but it is definitely tied to the gas prices. I would also surmise that many JGCs are on leases as well, since most Jeeps have good residuals despite their subpar reliability record like a European vehicle.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
The JGC is a popular vehicle among the lease crowd, as the Jeep name has resonance and obviously screams "America", so it isn't unexpected that it might be cross-shopped by some folks against the RX. Sales are at a all-time high right now, but it is definitely tied to the gas prices. I would also surmise that many JGCs are on leases as well, since most Jeeps have good residuals despite their subpar reliability record like a European vehicle.

Yep....it's hard to get amore classic American name than Jeep. You bring up a good point about leasing them....good residual values do tend to keep lease rates down. That was at least partly how BMW offered such good lease deals for years. Leasing, of course, also helps make the Jeep's unreliability factor less of an issue, since the customer only has the vehicle a couple of years, and that is usually in the warranty period (sometimes even with free service).

(of course, warranty or not, no one likes to face unexpected or premature repairs)