2016 Consumer Reports Reliability Ratings

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
This year, Audi, despite the diesel-scandal, managed to earn CR's top-brand rating for reliability, though I suspect that might (?) change when more diesel owners either get future repairs or reprogramming for their cars.

I also noticed Fiat was not mentioned, either in the ranks itself or in the list of missing-nameplates at the bottom, though Alfa is.

Buick, as has been the case for several years, took the top domestic-nameplate spot, though the other GM divisions lagged far behind. I suspect this is because Buick uses many solidly-built Opel components and platforms in its line-up that the other divisions don't. Buick also took top domestic road-test score.

Still nothing for Lexus to be ashamed of, though. Except for Subaru (a much smaller company), they still rank highest among Japanese nameplates in reliability....and third overall. (I also suspect CR would have ranked Lexus overall higher in road-test scores had it not been for their recent controversial panning of the NX....which, of course we all discussed in great detail here on this forum). I didn't fully agree with that panning, though I did think the NX did lack some refinement on the road.

Jeep's bottom-of-the-barrel rating, IMO, is probably due to the unimpressive Compass, Patriot, and the newer Fiat-based Renegade. But the excellent Grand Cherokee is one of the standouts in its class, in road-test if not in reliability.

One thing that really shocks me is the low percentage of vehicles in the upmarket European brands that are recommended by CR......far less than with Asian upmarket brands.....and, of course, we will soon have another Asian upmarket brand.....Genesis.

And Honda and Acura, once again, are a disappointment compared to past rankings. For years, they precision-built vehicles like Swiss Watches (and, for initial factory condition, IMO still do). But it is apparent that those well-built Hondas and Acuras are now using less-reliable components that aren't lasting as long. It is also a factor that not only have they slipped, but others, to an extent, have caught up.

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...survey-of-reliable?cciid=email-autonews-blast

The influential magazine, which has compiled its brand report card for nine consecutive years, said Audi and VW vehicles that have been pulled from dealerships due to diesel emissions violations are not included in scoring. The VW brand finished 15th for the second straight year with 67 points, up from 60 points in 2015.

“The rankings do not account for corporate practices or brand perceptions, and despite Audi’s score, Consumer Reports strongly believes that Volkswagen AG … should be held accountable for manipulating emissions testing with its vehicles,” the publication said in a statement.

Consumer Reports compiles the overall brand scores using road-test performance for models it tested, in addition to reliability results for each model. It then averages the scores of those models to rank each brand.

Several brands were not included in this year’s results, including Alfa Romeo, Jaguar, Maserati, Ram, Smart and Tesla, since Consumer Reports tested fewer than two vehicles from each brand.

The magazine said it also changed the way it calculated 2016 scores, negating easy comparisons to results in 2015 and previous years.

Nine of the 10 top brands are foreign, with General Motors’ Buick brand the top domestic brand, in 7th place with an overall score of 74 points.

Most domestic brands from GM and Ford Motor Co. -- dogged by what the magazine called “inconsistent reliability scores” -- finished in the middle of the pack.

Fiat Chrysler brands finished near the bottom of the rankings. Two of its brands, Fiat and Jeep, finished in the bottom two spots for the second consecutive year, while Chrysler finished 26th out of 30 with 58 points and Dodge finished 25th also with 58 points.

“We respect Consumer Reports’ opinion, as they’re one of the many third-party evaluators we receive comments from,” said Matt Liddane, FCA North America vice president of quality, in a statement. “We encourage customers to experience our vehicles for themselves. We continue to aggressively pursue both product and launch-quality improvements as they are top priorities for the company and our internal measurements are showing progress.”

Fiat finished last with 38 points, while Jeep was 29th with 43 points.

German luxury brands Porsche and BMW finished in the top five, while Mazda, Toyota, Kia and Honda finished in the top 10. Mazda fell from second to sixth, while Toyota fell from third to eighth.

Each entry in the top 10 finished in the top 10 in 2015.

Acura, which finished No. 2 in 2014 and No. 11 in 2015, fell to 19th in the rankings with an overall score of 64. Infiniti finished 22nd with a 63 overall score after finishing No. 8 in 2014 and No. 17 in 2015.

The biggest year-over-year gains included Ford, which rose from 24th place to 16th and a 66 score, and Mercedes-Benz, which rose from 21st place to 14th and a 67 score.

Best in key segments
Consumer Reports also today revealed its latest top picks in key segments.

The redesigned Ford F-150 was named best pickup for the first time since 1999 and giving the brand its first top pick since 2012.

“By eschewing traditional steel body panels, Ford created a pickup that weighs less, enabling it to be quick off the line and fuel-efficient,” the magazine said.

The F-150 and the Chevrolet Impala, winner of the large car category for the second straight year, were the only winners among domestic brands.

The Toyota Camry won its fifth top pick in 20 years in the midsize car category, while the Toyota Sienna nabbed the top minivan honor from the Honda Odyssey.

Subaru also received two top picks, with the Impreza and Forester winning the compact car and small SUV categories for at least the third consecutive year.

The Kia Sorento was named top midsize SUV, replacing the Toyota Highlander, while the Lexus RX was given the top luxury SUV pick.

“Lexus created the luxury crossover segment almost 20 years ago, and its dominance hasn’t diminished since,” the magazine said.

The Mazda MX-5 was named top sports car, while the Honda Fit was selected top subcompact car.

Consumer Reports did not name a best overall vehicle, which was awarded to the Tesla Model S last year.

How they rank
Overall score* / Average road test score / % of recommended vehicles
Audi
80 / 83 / 100%
Subaru 78 / 80 / 100%
Lexus 76 / 74 / 88%
Porsche 76 / 84/ 60%
BMW 76 / 85 / 50%
Mazda 74 / 74 / 100%
Buick 74 / 76 / 80%
Toyota 72 / 69 / 82%
Kia 72 / 75 / 67%
Honda 71 / 73 / 88%
Hyundai 70 /76 / 60%
Volvo 69 / 77 /25%
Mercedes-Benz 67 /80 /29%
Volkswagen 67 /76 /71%
Ford 66 / 74 / 38%
Lincoln 65 / 73 / 25%
Scion 65 / 62 / 75%
Acura 64 / 73 / 40%
Chevrolet 64 / 75 / 27%
Nissan 63 / 71 / 33%
Infiniti 63 / 71 / 33%
GMC 60 /71 /17%
Cadillac 58 / 76 / 25%
Dodge 58 / 73 / 17%
Chrysler 58 /73 / 0%
Land Rover 55 / 71 / 0%
Mitsubishi 51 / 46 / 0%
Jeep 43 / 55 / 0%

* A brand must have at least two models with test and reliability data to be included. Alfa Romeo, Jaguar, Ram, Smart, and Tesla lack sufficient data.

Source: Consumer Reports

Last edited:
Reactions
It seems that Some German bought the stakes at CR, expect those groups will stay quite high for some year. Very well played strategy!

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
It seems that Some German bought the stakes at CR, expect those groups will stay quite high for some year. Very well played strategy!

CR really disses BMW, Volvo, and Mercedes, though, in the percentage of recommended-vehicles department (50%, 25%, and 29%, respectively). True, Land Rover has 0% recommended, but that is no surprise....they have had severe reliability problems for decades.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
From an automotive standpoint I use CR for Reliability data, nothing else.

And in reviewing my CR April 2016 issue I noticed this regarding PREDICTED RELIABILTY ratings:

Only 2 brands got top marks (solid red circle for top score / better than average reliability); Lexus and Toyota

Not Audi, Subaru, Mazda, Buick, Kia, Hyundai,Porsche, BMW.

The CR "rankings" are based on overall scores including other criteria besides reliability.

Note: Both title and opening sentence(s) as it relates to article shown should be considered for review for clarity/accuracy.

Last edited:
Reactions: CIF

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
From an automotive standpoint I use CR for Reliability data, nothing else.

And in reviewing my CR April 2016 issue I noticed this regarding PREDICTED RELIABILTY ratings:

Is the April Car-Buying issue even out yet for this year? I'll have to check and see if it is available on-line.

Agreed that CR does reliability charts best.....but I'd say the majority of their new-vehicle reviews are also good. Once in a while, though, they blow it on a review or road test......like they may have done by over-panning the Lexus NX.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Is the April Car-Buying issue even out yet for this year? I'll have to check and see if it is available on-line.

Yes, been out for a few days.

And probably available online for members/subscribers only.

Regardless, please read the article you provided link for in original post. Then review your comments posted at beginning of post, not accurate.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Yes, been out for a few days.

And probably available online for members/subscribers only.

Regardless, please read the article you provided link for in original post. Then review your comments posted at beginning of post, not accurate.

Not sure what you're getting at. My comment about Fiat was accurate...it is not listed either on the chart itself or below in the asterisk (*) notes. I don't see anything wrong with the statement that Audi's rating next year could (?) drop if owners have to get repairs and/or updates to their current diesels (which is likely)....assuming Audi doesn't actually buy them back. And I don't see what is wrong with the comment I made about Buick being in the top domestic spot....for one thing, they do some things things differently than other GM divisions. The only thing I can think of is that the link formally has an autonews reference to it, but actually describes (and shows) CR data.

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Not sure what you're getting at. My comment about Fiat was accurate...it is not listed either on the chart itself or below in the asterisk (*) notes. I don't see anything wrong with the statement that Audi's rating next year could (?) drop if owners have to get repairs and/or updates to their current diesels (which is likely)....assuming Audi doesn't actually buy them back. And I don't see what is wrong with the comment I made about Buick being in the top domestic spot....for one thing, they do some things things differently than other GM divisions. The only thing I can think of is that the link formally has an autonews reference to it, but actually describes (and shows) CR data.

I'm surprised you don't see it, but I can help clarify:

If you please go back and read the article you will notice the CR ratings in article are based on overall ratings, not just reliability (therefore include other criteria including road tests, etc.). When you talk about Audi in #1 spot, it's an overall ranking. But your commentary is stating these are reliability rankings with Audi as #1 for example, which (respectfully) is not correct.

Let's use Audi as example and reference your statement in post which is not correct** (with all due respect):

"This year, Audi, despite the diesel-scandal, managed to earn CR's top-brand rating for reliability"

Another example is Subaru, please reference your statement in post which is not correct** (with all due respect):

"Except for Subaru (a much smaller company), they still rank highest among Japanese nameplates in reliability...."

Above are the exact words in red from your original post, do you see what I'm getting at above?

** As I stated earlier, only 2 brands received the top ratings for reliability: Lexus and Toyota

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I'm surprised you don't see it, but I can help clarify:
OK, I understand what you are saying,;)......but the way the columns seem to be done (as I read them), the first (left-hand) column is overall vehicle-reliability, the center one is average road-test score from all the company's vehicles, and the right-hand one is the percentage of the company's American-market vehicles that CR recommends for buyers). I agree, though, that one could interpret it the way you do, though.......CR should have clarified that a little more in its listing. But, to me, it appears to be there different issues....not two of them rolled up into one.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I think CR was very clear IMHO on rankings, please read article you posted in post #1.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
1. Ok, 11 posts and now here we finally have the first post accurately reporting on the topic title:
2016 Consumer Reports Reliability Ratings

Here are the reliability ratings by brand per CR:

Top Tier 1 (much better than average): Lexus, Toyota

Tier 2 (better than average): Audi, Subaru, Mazda, Buick, Kia, Scion

Tier 3 (average): Porsche, BMW, Honda, Hyundai, Volvo, Mini, VW, Ford, Lincoln, Nissan, Mitsu

Tier 4 (below average): Mercedes, Acura, Chevy, Infiniti, GMC, Dodge, Chrysler

Bottom Tier 5 (worse): Caddy, Land Rover, Jeep, Fiat

2. The article shown in post #1 isn't about interpretation, just simply reading it will do. The article says "Consumer Reports compiles the overall brand scores using road-test performance for models it tested, in addition to reliability results for each model. It then averages the scores of those models to rank each brand." <----- Note: This sentence is lifted straight from article and can be read in text above, very clear.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Unfortunately the past mantra "all Japanese luxury brands are reliable" is no longer true...Acura and Infiniti continue to have significant quality issues in some vehicles..

It might be fairly easy to explain with Infiniti, to its Nissan and Renault connections. With Acura, though, it's not as simple. It's a shame, too, because Honda and Acura do such a nice job of screwing their vehicles together at the plant. But, unlike the past, though, that precision-assembly at the plant is no longer an indication any longer of long-term reliability.

Other sources have also verified this to some extent. Owners now complain about issues like seat materials wearing out early, cracks in trim/plastics, parts working loose, etc.....

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Tier 3 (average): Porsche, BMW, Honda, Hyundai, Volvo, Mini, VW, Ford, Lincoln, Nissan, Mitsubishi

I'd be hesitant about buying any Mini product. Though it may rank "average" here on paper, I have not been impressed with their general build quality. Nissan also has been getting a worsening reputation lately.

I've also noticed, among my neighbors (I live in a pretty large condo-townhouse area) that a number of the Mini owners seemed to lose interest in them after the initial novelty wears off, and didn't keep them that long. The styling, though, definitely attracts some people in the showroom.

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
And congratulations to Lexus and Toyota brands for being the only 2 brands achieving the highest reliability ratings (much better than average) per Consumers Reports. Well done, staying at the very top all alone.

Reactions: CIF

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
A terrible title indeed. These are overall CR "assessment" ratings, not reliability ratings. In terms of strictly reliability, nothing has changed over the years. The reliable brands remain reliable, and the not reliable brands are still not reliable. Perhaps surprisingly, as an exception you have once-reliable brands like Honda and Acura that are now average or below-average.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
In terms of strictly reliability, nothing has changed over the years. The reliable brands remain reliable, and the not reliable brands are still not reliable.

Perhaps surprisingly, you have once-reliable brands like Honda and Acura that are now average or below-average.

I'm not sure I follow you here. You say nothing has changed over the years, then (correctly) point out that Honda/Acura, once up on a level with Toyota/Lexus, has now fallen to average.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I'm not sure I follow you here. You say nothing has changed over the years, then (correctly) point out that Honda/Acura, once up on a level with Toyota/Lexus, has now fallen to average.

Sorry, to clarify I meant that as an exception. For the most part, what I said stands true.

"Perhaps surprisingly" is an exception.

Post now edited.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Sorry, to clarify I meant that as an exception. For the most part, what I said stands true.

"Perhaps surprisingly" is an exception.

Post now edited.

Consumer Reports, in its latest issue, at least partly addressed that. Most of the problems in newer Honda/Acura products seem to be with transmissions. That's also the case with a couple of other automakers. A number of gearboxes are using relatively new and untested technology.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Consumer Reports, in its latest issue, at least partly addressed that. Most of the problems seem to be with newer Honda / Acura transmissions.

I'm sure as well that problems like "catastrophic engine failures" on the 2016 Civic don't help.