2016 Camaro Leaked On CNBC

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Wow... that interior. Just when I think GM has the sense and ability to do better. :eek:
Actually....GM does have the ability to do better....and, with their newer products, usually shows it. I don't know what happened this time.....somehow, those lower-dash vents and the ridges on top of the gauge-panel got tossed in there as a couple of afterthoughts.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Is this a redesign of the body panels and interior on the previous gen platform (i.e. like the 2015 Camry), or is this an all new car from the ground up?
Just on the topic of Brock Yates... there was a lot of word over the years that he was a very reckless individual that though of himself as an "untouchable" journalist.

Hard to tell lol. I'm not a GM expert, so it would be something to look up. I wouldn't be surprised though if it's on a new platform, or a heavily modified platform, yet retains extremely similar styling.

That would be the opposite of something like the 2015 Camry, which is a heavy refresh that looks significant enough to be a redesign, but is not.

It has been said numerous times that the 2016 Camaro is all-new ground up, in being on the Alpha platform shared with the Cadillac ATS sports saloon. The current model is on the Australian "Zeta" platform. It wouldn't be fair to assume the 2016 Camaro is just like the 2015 Camry (a mid-cycle facelift, on the same platform since 2001), even though it looks very similar to the 2013-15 Camaro. The '16 design was signed off as the MY14 Camaro refresh was being revealed 2 years ago.

Everyone bear in mind that the Mustang has maintained a 10 and 11 year life cycle respectively, with a heavy facelift in between at 5 years, since the SN-95 was launched in December 1993. The current Camaro, launched in early 2009, is getting redesigned less than 7 years later. The evolutionary approach makes sense. The 3rd generation Camaro lasted from December 1981 to December 1992. The 2nd generation, almost 12 years from February 1970 to late 1981.

As for the Jalopnik situation, I couldn't be happier. I greatly despise the careless journalism of Jalopnik, that tends be highly inaccurate and attract a lot of arrogant nitwits, overly biased fanboys in their comment sections. I cringe when I read what they write, as it gets absorbed by the many individuals that don't know better or supports the erroneous arguments of trolls.

Reactions: CIF

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
It has been said numerous times that the 2016 Camaro is all-new ground up, in being on the Alpha platform shared with the Cadillac ATS sports saloon. The current model is on the Australian "Zeta" platform. It wouldn't be fair to assume the 2016 Camaro is just like the 2015 Camry (a mid-cycle facelift, on the same platform since 2001), even though it looks very similar to the 2013-15 Camaro. The '16 design was signed off as the MY14 Camaro refresh was being revealed 2 years ago.

Everyone bear in mind that the Mustang has maintained a 10 and 11 year life cycle respectively, with a heavy facelift in between at 5 years, since the SN-95 was launched in December 1993. The current Camaro, launched in early 2009, is getting redesigned less than 7 years later. The evolutionary approach makes sense. The 3rd generation Camaro lasted from December 1981 to December 1992. The 2nd generation, almost 12 years from February 1970 to late 1981.

As for the Jalopnik situation, I couldn't be happier. I greatly despise the careless journalism of Jalopnik, that tends be highly inaccurate and attract a lot of arrogant nitwits, overly biased fanboys in their comment sections. I cringe when I read what they write, as it gets absorbed by the many individuals that don't know better or supports the erroneous arguments of trolls.

Thanks for the information on the platform details :).

Personally, that makes the redesign all the more disappointing. I understand the need for evolutionary changes, however the 2014 refresh arguably was a bigger exterior change than this is, and that just doesn't make sense. This redesigned 2016 model looks extremely similar to the 2014 refresh, except for a few subtle changes that, in my opinion, make it look actually worse.

It's commendable that GM did a complete redesign on a new platform that soon. However because it looks so similar to the previous generation, it really dilutes the purpose and reason for such a significant mechanical redesign. Yes the Mustang was on the same platform for a long while, but like you said, it received a significant, heavy facelift in between. To customers, it looked (and felt) like a full redesign, and I think that's important.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Reviews of this car have been amazing and the 1LE is now out which now includes the V-6 model too...

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
It's commendable that GM did a complete redesign on a new platform that soon. However because it looks so similar to the previous generation, it really dilutes the purpose and reason for such a significant mechanical redesign. Yes the Mustang was on the same platform for a long while, but like you said, it received a significant, heavy facelift in between. To customers, it looked (and felt) like a full redesign, and I think that's important.

Being a ponycar, though, and especially the Mustang's closet rival, it pretty much had to keep the general Camaro looks and styling. One reason (among several) why people buy ponycars in the first place is for the classic styling. That is why the Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger all went back to retro styling and have pretty much kept it for some time now. Under the skin, though, of course, the new Camaro has a FAR better chassis than the last one....and, for the first time in years, the Mustang has met its match in the corners, thanks to the Cadillac ATS platform. ;)

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I've seen a few of them around, and I quite like them. It's a good looking car and the performance seems there to match. However, the interior is still really, really lackluster.

Where's the next Nissan Z already?!

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I've seen a few of them around, and I quite like them. It's a good looking car and the performance seems there to match. However, the interior is still really, really lackluster.

There are still some improvements inside from last time. They took the secondary retro-gauges off the console, where they were WAY out of the driver's sight (probably one of the few times that modifying the retro design actually made sense) and put them right with the primary gauges where they belong. The chrome ring-rotators on the outside of the air-vents to increase or decrease air-flow temperature are a nifty idea....one doesn't have to search for tiny controls or buttons. But looking out of the interior is still like being in a bunker...even the original Camaros had far better visibility. That is the next thing they are probably going to have to address on the next redesign.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
It nearly deserves its own thread lol

Gecko said:
You have to be F'ing kidding me...

You get some Brownie points for that one, Mike........I almost spit out my well-brewed French Roast. :p

In retrospect, though, it's probably not any more outrageous than the original idea of a Porsche Cayenne almost 15 years ago....except that Porsche was simply adding a new SUV, not turning an existing sports-car into one like with the Z. And the Cayenne, of course, went on to be successful.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
2018 Chevy Camaro Hot Wheels 50th Anniversary Edition Unveiled For SEMA

Chevrolet has unveiled the 2018 Camaro Hot Wheels 50th Anniversary Edition ahead of its debut at SEMA.
special edition is essentially a $4,995 package that will be available on 2LT and 2SS coupe and convertible models.

The styling package doesn't come cheap but it includes a Crush orange exterior with full-length body stripes that are mean to recall the classic orange tracks made by Hot Wheels. The car has also been equipped with orange brake calipers, tinted taillights, and a revised grille that features Galvano Chrome inserts.

Rounding out the exterior changes are a Satin Graphite ground effects package, black bowtie emblems, and 20-inch forged aluminum wheels with unique center caps. Lastly, there are anniversary edition badges on the front fenders.

The styling changes continue in the cabin as designers installed black leather seats with orange inserts and orange contrast stitching. Drivers will also find embossed headrests, orange kneepads, and orange seat belts. Other highlights include illuminated doorsill plates, special floor mats, and a 50th Anniversary Hot Wheels badge on the steering wheel.

In a statement, Hot Wheels senior vice president Chris Down said “In the 1960s, Hot Wheels and Camaro challenged vehicle design by elevating the speed, power and performance of both die-cast and pony cars alike." He added, "We’re thrilled that fans can now experience the essence of Hot Wheels in this special edition Camaro.”

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/10/2018-chevy-camaro-hot-wheels-50th.html

Chevy-Camaro-Hot-Wheels-1.jpg

Chevy-Camaro-Hot-Wheels-2.jpg

Chevy-Camaro-Hot-Wheels-3.jpg

Chevy-Camaro-Hot-Wheels-4.jpg

Chevy-Camaro-Hot-Wheels-5.jpg

Chevy-Camaro-Hot-Wheels-6.jpg

Chevy-Camaro-Hot-Wheels-7.jpg

Last edited:

supra93

Expert
Reactions
2018 COPO Camaro Debuts With All-New Small Block V8 Engine

The Chevrolet Camaro news continues as General Motors has taken the wraps off the 2018 COPO Camaro.
Camaro SS.

Despite the similarities, the engine has been built specifically for drag racing and it features unique components including a shorter-stroke crankshaft that allows for "exceptional high-rpm capability."

Customers can also choose to equip their COPO Camaro with either a naturally aspirated 7.0-liter V8 or a supercharged 5.7-liter V8 that allows the car to run the quarter-mile in the mid-8-second range. Regardless of which engine is selected, all are paired to a SFI-approved three-speed automatic transmission.

Besides the new engine, the 2018 COPO Camaro has an exclusive Supercrush paint job. Customers can also order a Hot Wheels appearance package that makes the car look like the special edition that was unveiled earlier today.

Chevrolet will build 69 COPOs for 2018 and potential customers can apply to purchase on using a dedicated website.

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/10/2018-copo-camaro-debuts-with-all-new.html

Last edited: