2016 Camaro Leaked On CNBC

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
5394efd0-0155-4101-9eb3-b5d7693b721a-zps14tdpah1-1.jpg

gwsqhtl-1.jpg

img-1596-1.jpg

It seemed inevitable. Eventually some outlet would get access to fully uncovered pictures of the sixth-generation 2016 Chevrolet Camaro and let them loose early. Embargoes break. All. The. Time. And for this round, credit goes to CNBC's Squawk Box.

The program, according to the GM Inside News forums, had been talking about the new Camaro "all morning," when it dropped a trio of images of the new muscle car. Consider this, then, our first full look at the 2016 Camaro, a car we detailed extensively earlier this morning. In general, the leaked images confirm much of what we discussed in that post regarding the car's looks – an evolved style, with a slim grille up front, a rounded tail, and a very short rear deck.

Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2015/05/15/2016-chevrolet-camaro-leaked-images/#image-3

Personally, I'm a little disappointed with what we're seeing here. I've been following the Camaro reveal for a few months now - pieceing together each of the teasers - and the vehicle I see here is somewhat bland looking and certainly less attractive than the Mustang.

Cool LED headlights don't make up for the fact that the front end of the car itself isn't aggressive looking - and is actually quite bland. The rear end looks similarly "blah" to me. Not sure why Chevy ever did dump the quad tails in favor of two bland bars when refreshing the existing Camaro.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
Boy, does time fly... seems that it was just yesterday that Chevy resurrected the Camaro, and they are already introducing a new one.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I think it looks pretty good. Pony cars aren't supposed to look like Lamborghinis.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I agree with Gecko, I'm a bit disappointed too. The rear now looks more econobox than the current refresh, and the front end does indeed look a bit more bland. On styling alone, I prefer the current refresh.

Reactions: RAL
Reactions
So this is the car before the big reveal today in Detroit (4PM Eastern), barely covered by a tarp.
mdjx27it.jpg

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I saw a new Mustang today on the road, and I must say, it looks far better than this new Camaro. The current (outgoing) refreshed Camaro looks pretty good, very comparable to the new Mustang. This 2016 Camaro, they just dropped the ball in terms of styling I feel.

Reactions: RAL

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I saw a new Mustang today on the road, and I must say, it looks far better than this new Camaro. The current (outgoing) refreshed Camaro looks pretty good, very comparable to the new Mustang. This 2016 Camaro, they just dropped the ball in terms of styling I feel.

.....and, of course, despite the Mustang's good sales numbers, both have to share the market with the Dodge Challenger...which, IMO, is as good or better a retro-design than either the latest Mustang or Camaro. The Challenger's main drawback seems to be its size and weight...it is substantially larger than the original.

Reactions: CIF

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
.....and, of course, despite the Mustang's good sales numbers, both have to share the market with the Dodge Challenger...which, IMO, is as good or better a retro-design than either the latest Mustang or Camaro. The Challenger's main drawback seems to be its size and weight...it is substantially larger than the original.

Good point. The new refresh for the Challenger I think they did a great job on. I think now the Camaro styling-wise is the weakest out of the 3. Not only that, but I feel that the new Camaro also has the weakest interior out of the 3.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Good point. The new refresh for the Challenger I think they did a great job on. I think now the Camaro styling-wise is the weakest out of the 3. Not only that, but I feel that the new Camaro also has the weakest interior out of the 3.

Here's another shot of the new interior. I'll agree that the center vents are too low....I don't now what they were thinking when that design got approved. o_O The average driver, with the 6-speed manual, isn't going to want a constant stream of Arctic-Cool or Furnace-Hot on his or her right hand every time they reach for the shift-lever.

2016-chevrolet-camaro-interior-view.jpg

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Here's another shot of the new interior. I'll agree that the center vents are too low....I don't now what they were thinking when they designed them. The average driver with the 6-speed manual isn't going to want a constant stream of Arctic-Cool or Furnace-Hot on his or her right hand every time they reach for the lever.

2016-chevrolet-camaro-interior-view.jpg

Exactly. The vents are a terrible design decision. I'm also not a fan of the center stack and dash design, or some of the ergonomic choices versus the Mustang and Challenger interiors.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Those Jalopnik "journalists" are probably blacklisted from any more GM press events:

Good post, Tragic. Although I myself am always careful when I review and test-drive a car, I'm not going to point any fingers at this guy from Jalopnik. Unforeseen things can happen, and the auto industry knows, when they invite people from the auto press to test-drive their products, that slip-ups can happen. This accident seemed quite minor compared to some of the stuff that happens with the auto press......one person who I thought was especially irresponsible was Brock Yates (some of you might remember him), who worked for a time at Car and Driver ). I occasionally did point a finger at him (and had no qualms about it), because I thought he deserved it with his Cannonball runs and other reckless acts). And a couple of people from the auto press, remember, have been killed in high-speed exotic cars, though I don't remember their names.

Although it is probably unrelated to this particular incident, I've also thought that the practice in the auto industry of publically disguising prototypes and test-mules with tape, bras, covers, etc.....was all a bunch of B.S. I understand the need to keep at least some corporate secrets, but come on, guys......is the world going to stop turning because the exterior of a new vehicle is revealed before a major auto show or press event? Most of the long-range spy-cameras and their images don't get a good shot of the new interiors anyway.....so that part of it is usually not an issue. And who is going to be able to tell, just from looking at an exposed and uncovered exterior, what kind of corporate-secret materials or methods were were used in the vehicle's construction, or what drivetrain, chassis, suspension, etc....is under the skin? That's right.....most of the time, one can't, even from an experienced reviewer. So, IMO, enough of this bra and body-tape nonsense. Uncover the ******* car and let people see it.

Last edited:

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Is this a redesign of the body panels and interior on the previous gen platform (i.e. like the 2015 Camry), or is this an all new car from the ground up?

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Couldn't happen to a better auto news source lol....(sarcasm)

I have to more or less agree. Although, as I said above, I won't toss any stones at this guy for a minor mishap, I'm not terribly impressed with Jalopnik's reporting.

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Good post, Tragic. Although I myself am always careful when I review and test-drive a car, I'm not going to point any fingers at this guy from Jalopnik. Unforeseen things can happen, and the auto industry knows, when they invite people from the auto press to test-drive their products, that slip-ups can happen. This accident seemed quite minor compared to some of the stuff that happens with the auto press......one person who I thought was especially irresponsible was Brock Yates (some of you might remember him), who worked for a time at Car and Driver ). I occasionally did point a finger at him (and had no qualms about it), because I thought he deserved it with his Cannonball runs and other reckless acts). And a couple of people from the auto press, remember, have been killed in high-speed exotic cars, though I don't remember their names.

Although it is probably unrelated to this particular incident, I've also thought that the practice in the auto industry of publically disguising prototypes and test-mules with tape, bras, covers, etc.....was all a bunch of B.S. I understand the need to keep at least some corporate secrets, but come on, guys......is the world going to stop turning because the exterior of a new vehicle is revealed before a major auto show or press event? Most of the long-range spy-cameras and their images don't get a good shot of the new interiors anyway.....so that part of it is usually not an issue. And who is going to be able to tell, just from looking at an exposed and uncovered exterior, what kind of corporate-secret materials or methods were were used in the vehicle's construction, or what drivetrain, chassis, suspension, etc....is under the skin? That's right.....most of the time, one can't, even from an experienced reviewer. So, IMO, enough of this bra and body-tape nonsense. Uncover the ******* car and let people see it.

Just on the topic of Brock Yates... there was a lot of word over the years that he was a very reckless individual that though of himself as an "untouchable" journalist.

Is this a redesign of the body panels and interior on the previous gen platform (i.e. like the 2015 Camry), or is this an all new car from the ground up?

Hard to tell lol. I'm not a GM expert, so it would be something to look up. I wouldn't be surprised though if it's on a new platform, or a heavily modified platform, yet retains extremely similar styling.

That would be the opposite of something like the 2015 Camry, which is a heavy refresh that looks significant enough to be a redesign, but is not.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Just on the topic of Brock Yates... there was a lot of word over the years that he was a very reckless individual that though of himself as an "untouchable" journalist.

The laws of physics, though, don't leave anyone untouchable if they do enough dumb things with a car. ;)

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Wow... that interior. Just when I think GM has the sense and ability to do better. :eek: