1st Generation Lexus RZ Megathread (RZ450e)

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
One thing Lexus has historically done very well is product positioning. Like the RX they could nail it with sizing and specs of this model to be the perfect entry to BEVs for first-time buyers. BZ4X is an electric equivalent to RAV4 because that's their best selling model. RZ will be an electric equivalent to RX for the same reason. It just makes so much sense.

Of course it needs a larger battery pack to compensate for the extra weight and power consumption, and more importantly to keep the C-rate low. The BZ4X could already fit an extra slice to increase capacity to 81kWh.

It will be in a much better situation than the e-tron/e-tron sportback. The e-tron suffers from being an 'ICEV conversion' based on MLB so it's naturally heavy and inefficient. It's also very over-engineered to reach the power, charging speed and regen braking targets intended to match TMY. Not trying to beat Tesla means you don't have to cut corners (Ford) or over-engineer the car (Audi/Porsche).

One thing I think VAG mismanaged was wasting so much resources on low-volume ICEV conversion products before MEB/PPE arrives. But I understand it was mostly for damage control from Diesel Gate and the lessons learned resulted in a very soundly engineered MEB. At least they got two very good PR products out of the effort: Taycan and e-Tron GT.

I just want this thing to be rear-biased...
Rear-biased EVs require staggered tire set-up which increases maintenance cost and tire cost for cold weather, something a sensible company like Lexus won't do.

b.ba

Fan
Reactions
Agreed. The only thing that's really bugging me here is the FWD proportions... LF-Z had a longer hood and looked more RWD.
I think another thing that contributes is the greenhouse is less pushed rearward, which I assume happened to increase headroom.

Will1991

Reactions
To me, TMC has 2 possible motors for the RZ:

Type 2A / Or updated "Single Speed Short Length":
image.png
Captura-de-ecr-2021-12-04-s-00-25-52.png

Type 2B / Or updated "Single Speed Low Height"
image.png
Captura-de-ecr-2021-12-04-s-00-25-39.png

Starting at the rear, it can have either one. For the AWD BZ4X the 2B (which is specially designed to be installed at the rear) should be used at the rear, and the Mirai uses a 2A variation.

At the front, it could use the 2A like the FWD BZ4X.

This way, the RZ450e can have 280~300kW (SSSL+SSSL~2A+2A) or 230kW (SSSL+SSLH or 2A+2B).

For reference, the NX450h+ has 225kW, meaning the most probable combination is the second one to give 230kW, a FWB-biased powertrain.

Also, for TMC to keep a similar C rate to the BZ4X, it would result in a battery around 100kWh, which makes some sense to me given it's going to be a RX sized BEV.

Given this, my bet is:

-> 140~150kW front motor
-> 80~90kW rear motor
-> ~100kWh battery
-> 200kW DC charging

image.png

Pretty similar:

2020_24.png

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
^^ 2A = SSSL 2B = SSLH. They are the same exact motor. Actual power output depends on the PCU.

If the 2950mm wheelbase was true then they couldn't fit a 100kWh pack in there. The BZ4X has 2850mm and has an 8-slice pack with 288 cells in 96s3p. Total capacity is 355.2V x 201Ah (67Ah/cell) = 71.4kWh. From released photos they could fit an extra slice with a 100mm wheelbase stretch making it 108s3p with 399.6V x 201Ah = 80.3kWh. That's my guess for RZ's battery capacity. At 230kW it will be slightly below 3C which is still a rather 'safe' value.

The largest eTNGA platform has 3100mm wheelbase and that one will fit a 90-100kWh battery. My guess is a 'TZ' 3-row as an electric equivalent to TX.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
So "Z" stands for BEV equivalent of "S"/"X" ICEV/HEV/PHEV instead of "RX Coupe"? So I am looking forward to "IZ 500e F Sport Performance".

Will1991

Reactions
@Levi , I'm tending to believe that this "Z" is for a new type of body:
xC for coupe
xS for sedan's
xX for SUV's/Crossovers
xZ for Crossovers/Coupe

For electric it's the "e" on the end.

We already have the UX300e, but... It's so uncompetitive next to everything else...

Since this RZ is (basically) the first true Lexus BEV, I'm placing my bet on something like "Revolution Zero", to go in line with "Beyond Zero" from Toyota.

Last edited:

Benito

Fan
Reactions
@Levi , I'm tending to believe that this "Z" is for a new type of body:
xC for coupe
xS for sedan's
xX for SUV's/Crossovers
xZ for Crossovers/Coupe

For electric it's the "e" on the end.

We already have the UX300e, but... It's so uncompetitive next to everything else...

Since this RZ is (basically) the first true Lexus BEV, I'm placing my bet on something like "Revolution Zero", to go in line with "Beyond Zero" from Toyota.
That makes a lot of sense actually!

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Most interesting is... FJ Cruiser/Land Cruiser return confirmed. Nice!
I wouldn't call that a one to one FJ Cruiser return. It's a lot smaller than the midsize truck that it is parked beside. I figure that is more of a softroader like a Jeep Renegade.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I wouldn't call that a one to one FJ Cruiser return. It's a lot smaller than the midsize truck that it is parked beside. I figure that is more of a softroader like a Jeep Renegade.

Agreed, seems based on the FT-4X concept. That first pic above made it hard to gauge the size, but in other pics now, I see what you mean.