1st Generation Lexus RZ Megathread (RZ450e)

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
Another comparison of the side profiles
1639585848917.jpeg
1639585859380.png

Despite longer front overhang and higher hood-line, the gap between the wheel arch and the front door does seem to be a rear-wheel biased architecture to me. If you look at the front fender of the RX, the gap in between is much closer together.

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
The concept looks much nicer, more futuristic. I really don't care for the way Toyota does not extend the wheel well flare all the way around. My wife's RAV4 Prime is the same way, it just makes the flares look "incomplete" and odd IMHO.

mikeavelli

Reactions
View attachment 5343
View attachment 5344

Despite longer front overhang and higher hood-line, the gap between the wheel arch and the front door does seem to be a rear-wheel biased architecture to me. If you look at the front fender of the RX, the gap in between is much closer together.

Assuming the RZ debuts direct-4 that would explain the proportions. Overhangs are very short. The more I think about it, the more this might make sense to have something similar to the RX but be EV only. The RX this generation continues to dominate sales even as it’s moved to a much sportier/ adventurous look. Perhaps their data shows a lot of RX owners would jump over to a RZ to stay in the brand.

Assuming the next RX continues thr hybrid/electrified theme that’s two new and fresh cuvs now on top the new NX which is also electrified..

Razor

Fan
Reactions
I personally think those wheel wells are way too big. The first one looks more pleasing to the eye.
The concept looks much nicer, more futuristic. I really don't care for the way Toyota does not extend the wheel well flare all the way around. My wife's RAV4 Prime is the same way, it just makes the flares look "incomplete" and odd IMHO.
and the black molding makes the wheel well look even bigger.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
View attachment 5343
View attachment 5344

There is a one huge difference between these two that is not obvious but it makes the most difference, besides the roof line of course. On the concept blacked out wheel arch frames have proportional thickness to blacked out bottom trim and together they form a single uninterupted running piece. That makes a lot of sense. On production model wheel arch trim is neither proportional nor connected to the bottom trim and iit might even have different color finish.

Reactions
There is a one huge difference between these two that is not obvious but it makes the most difference, besides the roof line of course. On the concept blacked out wheel arch frames have proportional thickness to blacked out bottom trim and together they form a single uninterupted running piece. That makes a lot of sense. On production model wheel arch trim is neither proportional nor connected to the bottom trim and iit might even have different color finish.
I also think the thickness of the black C pillar and the straight body panel cutoff above the taillight looks really weird to me. In the concept, the all black roof, thinner taillights, and integrated spoiler helped emphasize the sportier stylistic cues of the body. The C pillar on the production car might’ve looked better if it was just painted the body color instead.

Last edited:

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Yea, the vehicle that Akio is driving in the video with the RZ on the side does not look like the RZ that has been revealed.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I don't believe RZ stands for RX Coupe. As the bZ4X is the BEV equivalent of the RAV4 (note same number), the RZ is the BEV equivalent of the RX. RX is a coupe-ish CUV as has always been since 2nd gen, and is a 5 seater. RX L gets replaced by TX, a seven seater. Toyota has trademarked a whole range of BEV model names, Lexus not yet. The prototype must be the BEV equivalent of TX, maybe called TZ.

Will1991

Reactions
It could be just a test mule.

The steering wheel is the same from the new NX, and there’s a video of a BEV concept with a “yoke” with covered dashboard, similar to the LF-Z concept.
That car doesn’t even have rear seats, or covered interior.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
It could be just a test mule.

The steering wheel is the same from the new NX, and there’s a video of a BEV concept with a “yoke” with covered dashboard, similar to the LF-Z concept.
That car doesn’t even have rear seats, or covered interior.
It is a mule.

I don’t think you guys realize how much these companies including Toyota BS the stories in these videos.

I can tell you for a fact there are videos about major vehicles being developed, which absolutely did not go the way described.

Will1991

Reactions
Maybe this is the production seat:

If it’s like this, is pretty incredible!