1st Generation Lexus RZ Megathread (RZ450e)

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions

LEXUS TEASES ALL-ELECTRIC RZ​

After much speculation and the foreshadowing LF-Z Electrified Concept, Lexus has finally teased the all-electric RZ for reveal in the first half of 2022. The shadowy Instagram video doesn’t show much, but what we can see is a unique spindle grill, a headlight design more like the IS and NX, and a profile that seems to evoke both car and crossover.
Lexus-RZ-Teaser_still_3-768x432.jpg

Lexus-RZ-Teaser_still_2-768x432.jpg

Lexus-RZ-Teaser_still_1-768x432.jpg

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
I'm sure it will be unique looking and all that...but I'm not convinced. It's a shame that it didn't stay true to the concept like the LC did. Missing details including headlight unit (far bulkier), hidden door handle, two-tone design (the part where the roof and the windows connect), the OLED rear lightbar...etc. Overall good but not great as what I expected.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I'm sure it will be unique looking and all that...but I'm not convinced. It's a shame that it didn't stay true to the concept like the LC did. Missing details including headlight unit (far bulkier), hidden door handle, two-tone design (the part where the roof and the windows connect), the OLED rear lightbar...etc. Overall good but not great as what I expected.
The RZ is between NX and and RX, BEV type. It is a "rebadged" Toyota bZ4X. It is not a hallo/art model like LC. But yes, it is a pity Lexus will not have the same cars as the concepts of LF-A, LF-Z and the LS was not as the LF-FC. At least there is the LC.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I already prefer this RZ than BMW iX or Tesla Y. Audi e-Tron Sportback is its direct rival.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Besides the refreshed IS, I don't even know which Lexus looks really appealing. I don't even like the tail light stretching across the IS.

Lexus has got to get its design language to a tee like Audi did. BMW (especially the grill and the XM) and Mercedes all have crappy designs of late but that's not saying much about Lexus exterior designs LOL.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
IMO, seeing the maturation of Lexus' design language on the IS, NX, LX and RZ has been exciting and in my eyes, this is the best Lexus design has ever looked. The new LX, in particular, is stunning in person - it's certainly "LX" but has some Range Rover Sport flair that's hard to pick up in photos. The only thing I'm not enamored with is Lexus' love of the full length horizontal light bar, but they seem to be getting better at implementing it and the RZ rear looks nice - and sort of Porsche Panamera Gran Tourismo to me.

Look at the RZ's competition: BMW's "GT" models are heinous, the ZDX died a quick death, what else is there... the Audi Q6/Etron? Mercedes' crossover coupes? Then the Model X and Model Y look like misshapen eggs. Every automaker is venturing into the middle space between sedan and crossover in a different way, and in typical Lexus fashion, they are late to the party but from a design POV, seem to have done it better than pretty much everyone else.

Smychavo

Follower
Reactions
I'm very excited with these teasers. Not quite LF-Z, but honestly, I didn't go in with that kind of expectation, plus I can see some of those design cues, which is pretty cool. For what is something all but certain built on e-TNGA, I'm very much looking forward to how Lexus put their spin on refinement on the interior, among other things. As far as style goes, I very much think they're way ahead of the curve with this one.

Will1991

Reactions
I don’t think this is going to be the “Lexus BZ4X” or even a TMY competitor.
The LF-Z concept has 4.880mm, the BZ4X has 4.600mm (much closer to NX 4.660mm) and the TMY is 4.750mm.
It’s almost the same length has the RX at 4.890mm.

It should be something between a TMY and a TMX (5.036mm).

The RZ450e should be the same to the RX, as the BZ4X relates to the RAV4 (size wise).

And from a sales point of view, it’s the perfect move! RX clearly dominates, but costumers are increasingly looking to full BEV’s… This way, Lexus can say “here, the perfect replacement for your RX hybrid”
In the next few years, in that segment it will be possible to have:
RX350 with the 2.4L Turbo for those who don’t want any electrification
RX500h, for those looking to upgrade from the RX450h
RX450h+, for those who aren’t betting just yet on BEV’s
RZ450e, for those who want to go BEV

If Lexus dominates with the current RX, it will mop the floor with this offer.

Last edited:

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
IMO, seeing the maturation of Lexus' design language on the IS, NX, LX and RZ has been exciting and in my eyes, this is the best Lexus design has ever looked. The new LX, in particular, is stunning in person - it's certainly "LX" but has some Range Rover Sport flair that's hard to pick up in photos. The only thing I'm not enamored with is Lexus' love of the full length horizontal light bar, but they seem to be getting better at implementing it and the RZ rear looks nice - and sort of Porsche Panamera Gran Tourismo to me.

Look at the RZ's competition: BMW's "GT" models are heinous, the ZDX died a quick death, what else is there... the Audi Q6/Etron? Mercedes' crossover coupes? Then the Model X and Model Y look like misshapen eggs. Every automaker is venturing into the middle space between sedan and crossover in a different way, and in typical Lexus fashion, they are late to the party but from a design POV, seem to have done it better than pretty much everyone else.
To me, Audi Q3, Q5 looks like classics. Porsche Macan before the 2022 refresh was good looking too, so do the 911 and 718.

Interior though, even the lowly UX looks most appealing to me visually.

Jonas

Fan
Reactions
For me Tesla or BMW is not an option, Lexus needs to be above, even to the Audi…

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
It is definetly running on BZ4X platform, but what does that actually mean? BZ4X already has huge wheelbase for instance.

Reports from Europe say Lexus will have more power and battery, lets hope that is the case. And it will be a really nice vehicle. Dont need to be too concerned about platforms, EVs are good with that.