1st Generation Lexus RC 300, 350, F and Track Edition Megathread

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I see only two track editions for sale in Europe. One new white one as above for 89.250€.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Are you driving the same RCF that TDIB drove?

I have the 2021 Fuji Speedway Edition, didn’t even have 500 miles. I certainly hope he has his title right. 2020 is the track edition.

In 3 days I’ve put over 200 miles on it and I’m in love, best handling Lexus for sure. Every RC F should feel like this. The brakes are phenomenal.

Attachments

• 23384467-A8DC-4A8A-A44E-A2082CCC9CFB.jpeg
    23384467-A8DC-4A8A-A44E-A2082CCC9CFB.jpeg
    541 KB · Views: 12

mikeavelli

Reactions
So I have the new Inspiration Series in my hands. So got an immediate back to back feel. quick things that stand out.
1. The LC with performance package is really really good. And not sure if it’s because of the new updates but the 2021 LC is a damn hoot. I was shocked. I have a touring so even with my mods I don’t have rear steer or the updates the 2021 has. It’s not light on its feet compared to the RC F but more than holds its own.
2. Why do I like the transmission in the LC better than the RC F Fuji Speedway? I swear the LC kicks down quicker. Both barely have 500 miles so maybe it’s that.
3. The LC has fantastic brakes, the Fuji Edition has PHENOMENAL brakes. I wish every Lexus had these carbon ceramics.
4. The RC F Fuji is a giant leap over the normal RC F. We can argue about the price, but driving wise, it’s a different vehicle. I wish they all drove like this. You can feel the weight difference and the car feels more sharp.

Instead of constantly complaining on what if, we should commend for what we have have. In a world where cuvs dominate, Lexus IS offering some amazing V-8 coupes.

Reactions
So I have the new Inspiration Series in my hands. So got an immediate back to back feel. quick things that stand out.
1. The LC with performance package is really really good. And not sure if it’s because of the new updates but the 2021 LC is a damn hoot. I was shocked. I have a touring so even with my mods I don’t have rear steer or the updates the 2021 has. It’s not light on its feet compared to the RC F but more than holds its own.
2. Why do I like the transmission in the LC better than the RC F Fuji Speedway? I swear the LC kicks down quicker. Both barely have 500 miles so maybe it’s that.
3. The LC has fantastic brakes, the Fuji Edition has PHENOMENAL brakes. I wish every Lexus had these carbon ceramics.
4. The RC F Fuji is a giant leap over the normal RC F. We can argue about the price, but driving wise, it’s a different vehicle. I wish they all drove like this. You can feel the weight difference and the car feels more sharp.

Instead of constantly complaining on what if, we should commend for what we have have. In a world where cuvs dominate, Lexus IS offering some amazing V-8 coupes.

The 10-Speed is dual-clutch levels fast when pushed hard. It is their best automatic transmission to date. It needs to go to all of their cars IMO.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions

I have not driven (or seen) a TE, but considering RCF and TE are 95% the same car, I am surprised you see it that way. Other than the 176 lbs weight reduction and brakes as well as slightly stiffer rebound on the dampers, they are essentially the same car.

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
I have not driven (or seen) a TE, but considering they are 95% the same car, I am surprised you see it that way. Other than the 176 lbs weight reduction and brakes as well as slightly stiffer rebound on the dampers, they are essentially the same car.
Yes I had a RC F for 3 or so years. I’ve also tracked the RC F. Some things are not tangible on paper. This is a vastly improved car. This is no disrespect to the RC F. Just like I own a 2019 modded LC but the 2021 I’m driving feels much better.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Yes I had a RC F for 3 or so years. I’ve also tracked the RC F. Some things are not tangible on paper. This is a vastly improved car. This is no disrespect to the RC F. Just like I own a 2019 modded LC but the 2021 I’m driving feels much better.

I assume that was a while back and maybe, try a carbon/TVD RCF again. I understand that it is improved over the standard RCF even with the TVD on it. Just saying 'completely different car', is a very high bar to meet. Maybe, if you drove them back to back, you might see the difference is not HUGE. Better yes, but along the lines of incrementally.

Last edited:

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
I assume that was a while back and maybe, try a carbon/TVD RCF again. I understand that it is improved over the standard RCF even with the TVD on it. Just saying 'completely different car', is a very high bar to meet. Maybe, if you drove them back to back, you might see the difference is not HUGE. Better yes, but along the lines of incrementally.
You are a real RCF defender. Any slight shot no matter how little it may be you got to defend lol.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
There are a million versions of 911 and there's a reviewer out there for each model, espousing how it is a completely different vehicle to drive.

Let's not get caught up in semantics.

mikeavelli

Reactions

Funny, that’s what I had. A carbon TVD. Let me explain a bit about unsprung weight. 15 lbs lost on each corner can feel like 50lbs on each corner. The car is much much livelier and engaging and sharp. The engineers have had 7 years to get it right and they finally did.

Nowhere am I saying the RC F is a bad car. It’s a great car, the Fuji Edition is a phenomenal drive.

I tire a bit of so many IS F and RC F owners thinking they drive some golden flawless chariot, instead of welcoming new Lexus models they feel threatened by them. Then there are the other half who are down to earth, enjoy their cars and enjoy the new ones.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Funny, that’s what I had. A carbon TVD. Let me explain a bit about unsprung weight. 15 lbs lost on each corner can feel like 50lbs on each corner. The car is much much livelier and engaging and sharp. The engineers have had 7 years to get it right and they finally did.

Nowhere am I saying the RC F is a bad car. It’s a great car, the Fuji Edition is a phenomenal drive.

I tire a bit of so many IS F and RC F owners thinking they drive some golden flawless chariot, instead of welcoming new Lexus models they feel threatened by them. Then there are the other half who are down to earth, enjoy their cars and enjoy the new ones.

Remember, I questioned the whole 'drives like a complete different car'. Let's not blow this out of proportion.

I just get baffled at how RCF's weight is constantly beaten to death, yet LC500 weighs 4400 lbs and it never got mentioned (I have driven an LC500, BTW).

Last edited:

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I'm having a time thinking CPO LC500, or a new model with the improvements. In that case the convertible is close enough to justify the splurge.

Any opinions on pre and post update LC500?

Reactions
I'm having a time thinking CPO LC500, or a new model with the improvements. In that case the convertible is close enough to justify the splurge.

I've heard from SavageGeese that the pre-update LC500 had really stiff suspension however I think he's an outlier in this case as everyone else has raved about the suspension setup so I'm not sure. I have heard nothing but amazing comments for the new 2021 LC. Well, there are still cries about the infotainment system.

Honestly since these things barely depreciate and you have the funds, just swing for a new LC500.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Remember, I questioned the whole 'drives like a complete different car'. Let's not blow this out of proportion.

I just get baffled at how RCF's weight is constantly beaten to death, yet LC500 weighs 4400 lbs and it never got mentioned (I have driven an LC500, BTW).

Cause of the platform, the LC is significantly heavier than the RC F but it doesn’t feel it. It also imo feels like the better handling car. It’s why Lap and acceleration times are similar sans Track/Fuji.

Also the LC is a GT and not a M8 competitor, whereas the RC F is a sports coupe first and a direct M3 competitor.
We are fortunate to have both.

I’ve now driven every year and type. I have a 2019 touring modded. The 2019 had suspension updates over the 2018. It was hard for me to notice. The 2021 Performance I just drove felt much improved over the 2020.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Cause of the platform, the LC is significantly heavier than the RC F but it doesn’t feel it. It also imo feels like the better handling car. It’s why Lap and acceleration times are similar sans Track/Fuji.

Also the LC is a GT and not a M8 competitor, whereas the RC F is a sports coupe first and a direct M3 competitor.
We are fortunate to have both.

OK, now suddenly 400 - 500 lbs is no longer an issue. Got it. Regarding the performance/handling, objectively that is not correct in most cases. You want some data there? I have driven an LC500 too and have never expressed my subjective comparison to my RCF because they are subjective and my own personal opinions.

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
OK, now suddenly 400 - 500 lbs is no longer an issue. Got it. Regarding the performance/handling, objectively that is not correct in most cases. You want some data there? I have driven an LC500 too and have never expressed my subjective comparison to my RCF because they are subjective and my own personal opinions.

Correct. Because numbers are not everything. Many times a reviewer will state a heavier or larger vehicle drives like a smaller one. Sometimes the smaller and lighter vehicle drives like a bus.

The fact is the LC 500 and normal RC F are fairly equal with lap track times. The LC is the more balanced platform. It’s all new and simply a better starting point. It should be since technology advances and it’s a newer vehicle.

Take an ES 350 for example. It’s weighs 3690 lbs, lighter than both the LC and RC F, but feels like it weighs 4690. It’s slow and feels fluffy even as an F SPORT. It’s not a canyon carver. It just feels heavy and slow.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Correct. Because numbers are not everything. Many times a reviewer will state a heavier or larger vehicle drives like a smaller one. Sometimes the smaller and lighter vehicle drives like a bus.

The fact is the LC 500 and normal RC F are fairly equal with lap track times. The LC is the more balanced platform. It’s all new and simply a better starting point. It should be since technology advances and it’s a newer vehicle.

RCF is faster on majority of the race tracks and has better raw handling, objectively. I don't want to start listing all of them out. Like I said, there are many tracks with the same driver, same conditions and same track. RCF is supposed to compete with the M4 so it should be. The raw handling numbers are completely apart and disagree. Peak raw handling numbers of 0.98g for the RCF vs 0.93g for LC500.

You can see from these comparisons. There are many more. RCF is the better handling car and I actually found LC500 to feel very big, very heavy and rather on the softer side like a luxury GT car. The 10 speed, luxury, exhaust note. exterior, interior design etc, are all superior on the LC500. Again, those are my personal experiences.

1615271894836.png

Christian Menzel (race car driver) did not like the track edition. Despite being in German, you can see how he does not like the ride quality as it is constantly bouncing all the time. The lap time suffered probably because of that and it did the same lap time as a regular RCF.

I posted this above, RCF did a 1:39.5 with the older inferior Super Sport tires (in a comparison to M4's 1:37.8) to 1:37.9 for the RCF track edition. The LC500 on the same track ran a 1:41.06

1615263942246.png

1615264613378.png

1615264916982.png

1615264998218.png

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
You literally proved my point. They are fairly equal on the track. Thanks for posting the lap times.