16th Generation Toyota Crown (Sedan, Cross, Sport, Estate/Signia)

What do you think it is?

• Lexus GS

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Toyota Crown

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
One of the many other examples of the market direction:
Citroen C5X:
citroen-c5x-premiera-sylwetka.jpg

Peugeot 408 coming...
Europe loves their wagons, everywhere else not too sure. And if this is what is being launched in the next a couple of weeks...I guess its gonna require a strong PR campaign, and incentives at least in the USDM.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
If that is PHEV AWD I will buy one instantly to replace my ES300h. Bonus points if it's a hatchback.
You and I may be in the minority.

If this new Crown is a PHEV and sits only a bit higher than a Camry, like an Audi Allroad, it is a likely candidate as a replacement for my Camry Hybrid. A hatchback would be nice but AWD is not a necessity for me.

I don't want something that sits too high off the ground, increasing the rollover risk; but something a bit higher than a normal sedan could make it easier to get in and out of, especially for aging bodies, like my parents and like me in a few years.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
This kind of body style is inevitable for EVs because the extra floor height restricts headroom. The roofline needs to be 10cm taller to match the headroom of a comparable ICEV.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
This kind of body style is inevitable for EVs because the extra floor height restricts headroom. The roofline needs to be 10cm taller to match the headroom of a comparable ICEV.
That is why BEVs still also have design limitations contrary to BEV "propaganda". "skateboard" BEV might have low COG than ICEV, because of the low position of the battery and its weight, but in design the car looks belly heavy and tall.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Older sedans had a lot more ground clearance (160-180mm) and are closer to modern crossovers.

Very low sedans only became common in the past decade because of this obsession with "sportiness". My biggest complaint about the ES is its very low ground clearance (130mm). I scrape my front bumper against speed bumps all the time. The XV40 I owned earlier had 160mm of clearance.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Older sedans had a lot more ground clearance (160-180mm) and are closer to modern crossovers.

Very low sedans only became common in the past decade because of this obsession with "sportiness". My biggest complaint about the ES is its very low ground clearance (130mm). I scrape my front bumper against speed bumps all the time. The XV40 I owned earlier had 160mm of clearance.
But again, today's CUVs, while being taller don't have more ground clearance than old sedans. With BEVs it is getting worse. See Hyunda Ioniq 5.