16th Generation Toyota Crown (Sedan, Cross, Sport, Estate/Signia)

What do you think it is?

• Lexus GS

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Toyota Crown

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

Levi

Expert
Reactions
So is it fastback FF or FR ?
looks like fastback FF. the fastback FR Mirai makes ni sense now. I think the Mirai is really just a rebadge re-lighted GS, when they already planned to abandon the FR platform. that is also probably why the LC F became a very different bespoke car, because it will be the only FR/F4-L? flagship ICEV until BEVs take over. LX will be the goto ICEV for its purpose, long range go everywhere travel. the Land Cruiser still retains SRA, it makes sense to give the LX IRS, it being more of a luxury SUV than a workhorse SUV. will also make the LF1 less of a necessity, if RX goes more luxury too, TX taking RX place in some segments. In off-roading LF1 will have no advantage over RX, at that point, so LX is to stay, will also get QX80/Armada customers even if still smaller, others will get Sequoia.

With IS and GR86 being extended facelifts, it is possible there will be a new shared FR platform for ICEVs, focus on smaller cars and lightweight. Let us face it, heavy powerful RWD cars make little sense. Compact RWD sedan shared between Mazda 6 and Lexus IS, then GR86 shared with MX5. Maybe no more BRZ after that. Maybe different name for GR86 to close the gap to RC, as also no next gen Z4/Supra. I can understand a plan for cheaper lighter less powerful RWD cars until ICEVs exist, and they will for some time, see Aygo X.

Reactions
looks like fastback FF. the fastback FR Mirai makes ni sense now. I think the Mirai is really just a rebadge re-lighted GS, when they already planned to abandon the FR platform. that is also probably why the LC F became a very different bespoke car, because it will be the only FR/F4-L? flagship ICEV until BEVs take over. LX will be the goto ICEV for its purpose, long range go everywhere travel. the Land Cruiser still retains SRA, it makes sense to give the LX IRS, it being more of a luxury SUV than a workhorse SUV. will also make the LF1 less of a necessity, if RX goes more luxury too, TX taking RX place in some segments. In off-roading LF1 will have no advantage over RX, at that point, so LX is to stay, will also get QX80/Armada customers even if still smaller, others will get Sequoia.

With IS and GR86 being extended facelifts, it is possible there will be a new shared FR platform for ICEVs, focus on smaller cars and lightweight. Let us face it, heavy powerful RWD cars make little sense. Compact RWD sedan shared between Mazda 6 and Lexus IS, then GR86 shared with MX5. Maybe no more BRZ after that. Maybe different name for GR86 to close the gap to RC, as also no next gen Z4/Supra. I can understand a plan for cheaper lighter less powerful RWD cars until ICEVs exist, and they will for some time, see Aygo X.

A100 GR Supra is currently under pre-production phase right now and are in talks of what they want to do for this car. Don't count it out.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
A100 GR Supra is currently under pre-production phase right now and are in talks of what they want to do for this car. Don't count it out.
wouldn't it then make sense to have a Lexus version as 2+2/4 seater to replace the RC/LC and have a pair as before Supra/SC?

Reactions
How do you know that?

A70TTR from SupraMkV.com. It was so early days that he even asked us what we would like to see in the new car. He also mentioned that the A100 could either come a few years after the A90 production ends or come immediately at or after the year 2026 (which is when the production for the A90 GR Supra will end).

Personally, I said they found the perfect formula with the A90 but should they part ways with BMW for the A100, they should take the shortcut and just build off the knowledge that they had from the B58 and morph it into their own engine.

I also said that they should keep the ZF8HP51 automatic as an option along with a good Toyota 6-speed manual transmission too. Hybridization will be happening at this point and most people from SupraMkV welcome that change, including me.

As for the Mazda thing, I'd rather go with BMW all day, any day. I was like one of two or three people in a swarm of guys and girls who would rather have a BMW partnership than one with Mazda. So far the Mazda inline-six engines seem great for a Mazda vehicle but IMO should not be anywhere near a Toyota or a Lexus. We already have great engines of our own to use (this is including the B58 too, as you may know, some guys within Toyota who want to stay on brand call it the Toyota B58).

When you talk about the sheer capability of an engine, there isn't a modern engine that I know of that can be as accessible and tuneable like the B58 engine. When you get numbers like over 700 WHP with just an all turbo upgrade and nothing else in terms of tuning, that's just insane to me. When the car can hit 9's in the quarter with just 600 or so odd horsepower with a relatively full interior, that's nothing to scoff at. The B58 is the 2nd coming of the JZ and is probably the best six-cylinder engine on sale right now, and I am a huge admirer for the 2GR mind you.

Reactions
wouldn't it then make sense to have a Lexus version as 2+2/4 seater to replace the RC/LC and have a pair as before Supra/SC?

You'd then need a crazy power unit to compensate for that massive weight penalty for the A100 GR Supra. 3400 lbs for the A90 is pretty heavy as is, and if they were to move to the RC platform, you could expect a jump in ~400 lbs, and if you used the LC platform, it would easily be 1000 lbs heavier. Toyota doesn't have anything at the moment that could compete with the current A90 GR Supra, assuming we want to make the A100 an even better beast than the A90 is.

It also looks like Toyota is now comfortable with having the A90 as a two-seater. To me, it looks like the days of a 2+2 (GR) Supra are gone.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions

If the heavy FR makes no sense now
Why TMC keep insisting in FR R&D by racing!

I am thinking there maybe a new FR platforms in the way at least 2 and they may be for electrified models

For my guess also that the next GX will indeed be the production version of the LF-1 limitless concept

Will1991

Reactions
Toyota Crown might go to the US?

Maybe Toyota will replace the Avalon with a more global Crown (considering the latest rumors from MAG-X)?

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Global FR/F4-L Crown would be nice. Is the "RWD" Mazda than built on new Toyota platform?

Interestingly some new CX-5 spyshots, the car looked FWD.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
They already made a wagon crown before
It looks like a read 2 seaters midsize SUV / CUV not compact as the 2nd gen. Venza / Harrier but tall and wide as the 1st gen

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Seems to be FWD/FWD-biased as some expected -- not RWD:

Suddenly, there was information in the newspaper report that "the next Crown will be an SUV", but as I have already told you many times, the best car scoop team is a large crown class located above the Harrier. I was grasping the existence of SUV.

However, since this is based on the GA-K platform for FF such as the Camry, it was not possible to confirm whether to give the name of the crown.

According to the latest information, Toyota's aim is that future sedan-type crowns will be FFs based on the GA-K platform, and that the SUV version of the "Crown Cross" will be the mainstream of sales.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The JDM Crown Cross is not related to the ChDM Crown branding for FAW-Toyota's premium lineup. Will be available next June.

What confuses me is Best Car said the new RX will be based on Crown Cross. This means next RX will look very different from this generation?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The JDM Crown Cross is not related to the ChDM Crown branding for FAW-Toyota's premium lineup. Will be available next June.

What confuses me is Best Car said the new RX will be based on Crown Cross. This means next RX will look very different from this generation?

All it means it is going to be based on same platform as... Highlander.
Nothing new in the world.

I think everything about Crown Kluger is related to "Crown Cross".

Do not expect RX formula to change one bit, just better, more luxurious.