16th Generation Toyota Crown (Sedan, Cross, Sport, Estate/Signia)

What do you think it is?

• Lexus GS

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Toyota Crown

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

Levi

Expert
Reactions
This is nice and all, but what about the sedan, a.k.a. the real Crown?
I am especially curious about the engines in the Crown sedan.

It will surely have A25A-FXS, as the Crown (S220), which is the only car to have this engine in FR layout.

The engine above could be the 8GR-FXS that is in the LS, LC and the Crown (S220). This engine is not that old really and appeared first in 2017 (GR family in 2002). When you see that the 2ZR-FXE first appeared in 2009 in the 3rd gen Prius, and is still available in the 5th gen Prius so as the 12th gen Corolla, I do not see how the 8GR-FXS could be too old, especially when it performs better and is more fuel efficient than the new T24A hybrid.

If they fit the T24A in the new Crown sedan, it will be the only car with this engine in FR layout, unless we also count BOF models (up coming Tacoma, 4 Runner, Hilux, Fortuner?, Prado, GX?). And if the new Crown sedan sells in US, the V35A is not impossible.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
Well the V6 is being phased out, so I won't expect a V6 Hybrid. It's most possible that they put the 1 motor setup (Tundra Sequoia) With the T24A, like that's gonna be in the Taco,4R,Prado. But obviously different engine tune. But V35A will be the best I'll say

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
Well the V6 is being phased out, so I won't expect a V6 Hybrid. It's most possible that they put the 1 motor setup (Tundra Sequoia) With the T24A, like that's gonna be in the Taco,4R,Prado. But obviously different engine tune. But V35A will be the best I'll say
Maybe toyota gives it the v35 for the top model but that would most probably be jdm only

Levi

Expert
Reactions
How is the V6 being phased out when the Landcruiser (J300) still has the old 1GR-FE V6 and the LS 500h will sell till it becomes a BEV, and that is not before 2028?

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
Landcruiser needs a very inexpensive option hence the 1GR, but LS need to be redesigned to drop the hybrid, they'd need something to replace the hybrid and currently have nothing. I'm sure the only V6 the Crown would get is the V35A

Demetrius

Founding Member
Reactions
I am especially curious about the engines in the Crown sedan.

It will surely have A25A-FXS, as the Crown (S220), which is the only car to have this engine in FR layout.

The engine above could be the 8GR-FXS that is in the LS, LC and the Crown (S220). This engine is not that old really and appeared first in 2017 (GR family in 2002). When you see that the 2ZR-FXE first appeared in 2009 in the 3rd gen Prius, and is still available in the 5th gen Prius so as the 12th gen Corolla, I do not see how the 8GR-FXS could be too old, especially when it performs better and is more fuel efficient than the new T24A hybrid.

If they fit the T24A in the new Crown sedan, it will be the only car with this engine in FR layout, unless we also count BOF models (up coming Tacoma, 4 Runner, Hilux, Fortuner?, Prado, GX?). And if the new Crown sedan sells in US, the V35A is not impossible.
The neglect of the 8GR-FXS is truly baffling. That engine in the 4GS 450h averages 31mpg and 0-60 time of about 5.5 secs. In the Crown, that T24 MAX engine does 30 mpg and 5.7 secs . Roughly the same specs all around, but downsized and complexed for no real benefit😕

Will1991

Reactions
The neglect of the 8GR-FXS is truly baffling. That engine in the 4GS 450h averages 31mpg and 0-60 time of about 5.5 secs. In the Crown, that T24 MAX engine does 30 mpg and 5.7 secs . Roughly the same specs all around, but downsized and complexed for no real benefit😕

It's considerably cheaper to produce.

But yes, that 450h powertrain was amazing, a friend of mine had a 3GS450h and was the most unexpected performance.

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
Toyota did have the 4gr 2.5l v6 in the crown anf mark x as well as a 3gr which was 3.0l v6 and the a25 fxs matches the output of the 3gr engine and is efficient and produces lower emissions as well

Reactions
Toyota did have the 4gr 2.5l v6 in the crown anf mark x as well as a 3gr which was 3.0l v6 and the a25 fxs matches the output of the 3gr engine and is efficient and produces lower emissions as well

but that SOUND from the 4-cylinders 🤮🤮

sounds like a bunch of buff squirrels that ingested sulfur hexafluoride speaking English and screaming in a blender

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
but that SOUND from the 4-cylinders 🤮🤮

sounds like a bunch of buff squirrels that ingested sulfur hexafluoride speaking English and screaming in a blender
It's mainly because of e-cvt if toyota decided to pair it with an actual transmission like the t24 hybrid it would sound a lot better

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
What is a Crown Express ownership in Japan? Why do they get to drive new other Crown variants with that service?