Everything EV Thread

mikeavelli

Reactions
I know we got the Tesla only thread in the other area. This is for any EV news, even if it includes Tesla. This is NOT a beat up EV or hate EV only thread. It’s to discuss EV news. With the occasional jabs lol.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
A big part of the Q8 especially higher end models is the engine. So this isn’t shocking news to me

Q8 e-Tron will be back as a 3-row EV built in the same factory as the upcoming Cayenne 3-row.

Current Q8 e-Tron dying makes sense, it was never designed to be a true Q8, rather a transitionary EV model like the BMW iX. The new Q6 is more powerful, has more range, updated technology, and near-similar dimensions although a tad smaller.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
They were probably getting a bunch of subsidies, so they had to spout this ridiculous nonsense.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
  • When it comes to EVs, bigger is not always better, according to Ford's CEO.
  • Jim Farley told investors Ford needs to pivot from giant trucks to smaller, more affordable EVs.
  • The Detroit automaker is betting on cheaper models as it tries to catch up with Tesla.

"We believe smaller, more affordable vehicles are the way to go for EV in volume," said Farley.

The auto executive, who has previously said Americans need to shake their addiction to "monster vehicles," explained that electric vehicles operated under a completely different set of rules from Ford's traditional business selling gas guzzlers.

"In ICE [Internal Combustion Engine], a business we've been in for 120 years, the bigger the vehicle, the higher the margin," Farley said.

"But it's exactly the opposite for EVs. The larger the vehicle, the bigger the battery, the more pressure on margin because customers will not pay a premium for those larger batteries," he added.

Farley spoke after the Detroit automaker posted disappointing Q2 earnings, with shares falling by as much as 12% after market close.

The company continues to lose money on its electric vehicle business amid an industry-wide slowdown in demand for EVs. This area of the business lost $1.14 billion from April through June.

Motor

Expert
Reactions

The fourth generation of the Porsche Cayenne will be all-electric.

But…

The current Cayenne generation, which last year was given one of the most extensive product upgrades in the history of Porsche, will be further developed with major technological investment in the future. Here the developers will be focusing, among other things, on the powertrains, in particular on improving the efficiency of the V8 developed by Porsche and built at the Zuffenhausen engine plant. Extensive technical measures will ensure that the twin-turbo engine is ready to comply with future legislative requirements.

Levi

Expert
Reactions

But…
I wonder if it (new goals and strategy) will impact the BEV 718. Still wish it comes ( relatively lightweight).

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
Screenshot_20240730_121150_Instagram.jpgScreenshot_20240730_121133_Instagram.jpgScreenshot_20240730_121143_Instagram.jpgScreenshot_20240730_121220_Instagram.jpgScreenshot_20240730_121233_Instagram.jpg

Now this is.. this is genuinely horrendous.

Not a single German automaker makes a good looking midsize EV sedan.. the A6 e-Tron is a bulbous mess that looks bloated like an ID7, the BMW i5 looks like a Forte, and the EQE is a jellybean.

Not including the Taycan/e-Tron GT, Genesis takes the cake for best looking luxury mid size EV with the G80 electrified.

sl0519

Admirer
Reactions
At first glance I was like oh wow it looks very close to the concept, then upon looking closer of the two together, I immediately realize why it is so hard to translate everything from the concept. Notice how little visibility the concept has compared to the production. Also 22" wheel is downgraded to 21'', perhaps to optimize the range and occupant space. Apart from those things if they are color matched, they don't look too different apart from each other.

A212299.jpg
A243200_web_2880.jpg

(download and flip one of the image to compare)

Last edited: