Reactions
Lexus Division:
  • March sales were 30,771, up 16.7 percent
  • Record first quarter sales of 78,471, up 15.0 percent
  • March electrified vehicle sales were 11,665, up 87.5 percent
  • First quarter electrified vehicle sales were 29,072, up 61.1 percent
  • Cars up 4.5 percent in March
  • Trucks up 20.6 percent in March and up 20.0 percent in the first quarter
  • ES HEV, NX HEV, NX PHEV, RX HEV and LS HEV all posted strong double-digit gains in the first quarter
  • All-electric RZ sales were up 363.8 percent in March and up 766.5 percent in the first quarter
  • LS sales were up 5.6 percent in March and up 18.6 percent in the first quarter
  • LC sales were up 21.6 percent in March and up 13.9 percent in the first quarter
  • Total NX sales were up 15.9 percent in March and up 10.0 percent in the first quarter
  • Strong sales of the all-new TX; 9,956 sold in the first quarter
  • Best-ever March sales:
    • Total NX
    • NX HEV
    • NX PHEV
    • RX HEV
    • RZ
  • Best-ever first quarter:
    • Total vehicles
    • Total LUVs
    • Total NX
    • NX HEV
    • NX PHEV
    • RX HEV

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
EB64B1BE58CCBB325F828008EB4B53703727154C

Flagship1

Fan
Reactions
Side note, I am seeing a trend for reporting EV sales this quarter, and everyone is reporting HUGEEEEEEEE numerical increases. Makes you wonder how they are moving these units

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Flight to quality lol.

BMW owners on bimmerpost telling prospective buyers not to entertain any used BMW over 100K miles lol.

That's just getting the party started with a Lexus.

Flagship1

Fan
Reactions
What does "Primarily wholesale" mean for sales of Mercedes-Benz? Wholesale auto sales suggests fleet sales to me. But why would a luxury brand sell to fleets?

Does MB have a different type of sales channel (a special channel for leasing, perhaps)?
To me it seems like they are now counting their sales once a dealer intakes them into inventory rather then once titled stopping the punched unit scheme dealers used to use to inflate their sales volumes.

who knows. I still see dealers do weird stuff. Dealership punching new units into certified pre owned units the day before Q1 closes all with similar mileage, yet the odo has single digit mileage.

Reactions
BMW is doing all i can to stay on top
BMW introduced hefty rebates on every single EV in April. Based on a bulletin sent to dealers, 2024 BMW electric vehicles now have rebates ranging from $5,000 to $7,500, though we found a way to increase that to nearly$13,000 off MSRP. This could help narrow the gap in price when buying versus leasing a new BMW EV.

Through April 30th, all 2024 BMW i4 and i5 sedans feature a $5,000 purchase incentive. Confusingly, the savings are available in the form of either a Loan Credit when financing through BMW Financial Services or a "Non FS Credit." The latter applies to cash transactions and doesn't require you to finance through BMW.

Similarly, both the 2024 BMW i7 sedan and iX SUV feature a $7,500 purchase incentive. Previously, there wasn't a discount for cash purchases of any of these models that didn't have a catch. At the same time, BMW is offering loyalty discounts worth $1,000 on the i4, $1,500 on the i5, and $3,000 on the flagship i7.

Under the right circumstances, that could translate to $10,500 off a new i7. Having said that, leasing remains the way to get the best deal. That's because BMW is offering a $7,500 lease credit on both the i4 and i5, with a whopping $9,900 off the i7 and iX. That could mean nearly $13,000 off an i7 with the loyalty discount.

If you're set on buying, BMW is also offering 3.99% APR financing in addition to the rebates. As before, shoppers on the West Coast coming from another EV brand can score an extra $1,000 BMW BEV Conquest Credit. The incentives could help give EV owners and lessees from brands like Tesla a good reason to switch.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
This industry ricocheting from "EV everything" to "nobody wants EVs" is almost surreal to watch. I can't imagine some of the decisions brands are having to make right now after hundreds of millions or billions invested in near term EV projects.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Two weeks ago I attended a webinar on developments in Li-ion battery recycling and to my surprise the recycle ratio has not improved much since 2018. Less than 5% of EV batteries are recycled because the cost is higher than building a new one and is about 30% the EV's total lifecycle carbon footprint. The temporary solution is reusing them for grid storage but modern packaging techniques made that much harder. The general consensus among the academia is current chemistries will likely never be economical to recycle and completely new materials are required, but said new materials will unlikely match the energy/power density to be competitive in BEVs.

A lot of EVs sold are still in their midlife but 2028-2032 is when this problem becomes noticeable. I think public opinions on BEVs will turn even worse after that. I won't be surprised if some countries at least ban non-reusable and non-repairable designs such as cell-to-chassis.

Flagship1

Fan
Reactions
Two weeks ago I attended a webinar on developments in Li-ion battery recycling and to my surprise the recycle ratio has not improved much since 2018. Less than 5% of EV batteries are recycled because the cost is higher than building a new one and is about 30% the EV's total lifecycle carbon footprint. The temporary solution is reusing them for grid storage but modern packaging techniques made that much harder. The general consensus among the academia is current chemistries will likely never be economical to recycle and completely new materials are required, but said new materials will unlikely match the energy/power density to be competitive in BEVs.

A lot of EVs sold are still in their midlife but 2028-2032 is when this problem becomes noticeable. I think public opinions on BEVs will turn even worse after that. I won't be surprised if some countries at least ban non-reusable and non-repairable designs such as cell-to-chassis.
Will packs be repairable/balanced like the current prius packs if they are not structural?

Reactions

So... we get our vroom vrooms?

mikeavelli

Reactions
Any small complaints aside, Lexus has nailed the suvs and cuvs. RX is selling as good as ever. NX is as well. TX and GX will extend the sales dominance.

It’s wild to see minimal cannibalization here between products. A lot of conquest buyers.

If they hold strong and a new ES/Is comes wow…

And to think their EVs will only get better.

Reactions
Any small complaints aside, Lexus has nailed the suvs and cuvs. RX is selling as good as ever. NX is as well. TX and GX will extend the sales dominance.

It’s wild to see minimal cannibalization here between products. A lot of conquest buyers.

If they hold strong and a new ES/Is comes wow…

And to think their EVs will only get better.
We need an IS/RC/LC. :(

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The RX500h was doing very well for the first model year but now my local dealers are struggling to push them out. Most of the traditional Lexus customers either want the PHEV or the more economical hybrid option. RX450h+ and TX550h+ are sold out until 2025. IMO the 500h models are priced too high especially when the GX550 Premium/Premium+/Overtrail base are priced so aggressively.