Reactions
I think a lot of this will come down to pricing. The GLE starts at 62k awd, X5 starts at 65/67 rwd/awd, Q7 at 59k awd.

The Lexus is a bit larger than these as it sits in between GLS/X7 in terms of size. I'm gonna take a guess that the TX will start at 59.9 to have that under 60k mark and top out over 80-85. At these prices, I hope the interior is a bit more luxurious than the pictures make it seem. It looks basic in design AND basic in materials chosen.

Reactions
I feel like the TX will be cross-shopped with the QX60/MDX more than the Germans

possibly, but both of those start right under 50k, where the RX starts as well. So I still think it will split the price difference at the base price between these two sets.

Reactions
I just realized there is no F SPORT model - only F SPORT Performance.

GX also has no F SPORT model, though the LX does.

🧐

This is the kinda sh*t that pisses me off with Lexus.

Lexus needs to have conformity within their entire lineup. If they can't get simple stuff like this done then you can bet there won't be an array of F cars at Lexus, only sporadic offerings.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
This is the kinda sh*t that pisses me off with Lexus.

Lexus needs to have conformity within their entire lineup. If they can't get simple stuff like this done then you can bet there won't be an array of F cars at Lexus, only sporadic offerings.

Agreed. The inconsistency makes F overall look like an afterthought. I'm also unsure of why it's like this because there are now a few different F SPORT packages from just looks to handling, so why not offer something on the TX? Everyone loves how F SPORT looks...

Also no red interior option, which we are accustomed to on F SPORT models.

Last but not least, why is the D pillar blacked out but not the A pillar?

TX 500h FSP in Incognito with a different grill wouldn't be too bad.

LateToLexus

Follower
Reactions
Not sure where you are getting this. This is a USA demanded product they sorely need and got. A bof sequoia and lx won’t work here. While I agree it’s not perfect at all it was needed badly. And toyota got GH too which they needed

Agree somewhat. But also think TMC/Lexus sort of half-a**ed it. They need something to compete with the Tahoe, Suburban, Escalade, Expedition, etc. in the US market. Neither the Sequoia or the the new TX is it. Nor do I see X7 buyers cross-shopping the new TX (ick). These vehicles are not large enough. But they're also flat out not luxurious or special enough. What are they?

The GX could be perceived as a far cheaper (and more reliable and flat-out better!!!!) alternative to a G-wagon. But Lexus/TMC still have not truly addressed the LARGE SUV segment in North America.

Also, for the hundredth time: The new GX is absolutely beautiful, the new TX is......uglier than my wife's Sienna?????

Deusex

Follower
Reactions
IMO, TX will not sell well. Really nothing special on the inside or outside. And is competing against what? It look like a Toyota not Lexus. Funny thing, when I saw the video of the GX and TX uneviling 90% of people run to see the GX.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
IMO, TX will not sell well. Really nothing special on the inside or outside. And is competing against what? It look like a Toyota not Lexus. Funny thing, when I saw the video of the GX and TX uneviling 90% of people run to see the GX.
What does the ES compete against? Is the ES a failure because it doesn't line up directly against any German sedan?

Levi

Expert
Reactions
TX has 400 PS, very special to me, more powerful than Mazda CX-90.

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
I still think the TX is a very good looking SUV. Although I'm surprised the FSP did not get a different grill maybe we will get an answer in the future. I think it will do well.

Reactions
TX550h+ V6 with Direct4 sounds buttery smooth and super quiet. Not to mention a ton of effortless power. THIS NEEDS TO BE IN OTHER PRODUCTS
I hope we get a midsize sport sedan with the powertrain. A revived GS550h+ with 400hp and direct 4 would be my next purchase.

Reactions: RAL
Reactions
I am just so disappointed the TX barely hides its grand highlander roots. I actually think if it were to fail for this sole reason it would be good for Lexus as a brand. As in “oh shxt” we better not do that again. Other vehicles have had very fast redesigns to address a big miss. I hope that happens here. One reason Infiniti has historically not done very well is because they pull these kind of brand eroding moves with barely disguised “luxury” versions of Nissan’s. This is the first time since maybe the ES250 that I recall Lexus doing this. Kills me.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I don't think you're grasping the actual meaning of "pressured."

pres·sure
verb
past tense: pressured; past participle: pressured
attempt to persuade or coerce (someone) into doing something.

"it might now be possible to pressure him into resigning"

Just because Akio Toyoda called the "shots" & had final say on Lexus models doesn't mean he wasn't" pressurized " by Lexus Dealers/Executives to create a viable luxury, mid-size 3 row SUV. 😆

So much for the "Akio was never pressurized to do anything" diatribe. 🤣

Report: Lexus Convertible Isn't Happening Because Of Pissed-Off Dealers
By Patrick George Published November 24, 2014

Bad news tonight for fans of angles and golden roofless things: the Lexus LF-C2 Concept, which looked like a boss from the first StarFox, will not enter production, according to a Motor Trend report.

Read more
Despite the fact that everyone (including us) assumed that concept would turn into a convertible version of the Lexus RC Coupe, sources within told Motor Trend that because Lexus' dealers clamored for a three-row crossover instead of a convertible — the former is a volume-seller and the latter just a niche — resources were put toward that instead.

If the LF-C2 looks close to production, it's because it was, the report says. Apparently the concept was planned years ago before the future plans were scuttled over dealer concerns.

In fact, dealers were in full-on "revolt" over the fact that they might get a convertible coupe over a three-row RX crossover.
I'd love to know what a Lexus dealer revolt looked like. Probably a lot of middle-aged guys in bad suits throwing bottles of white wine on the ground, I dunno. From the story:

The result of the revolt is that Lexus has just begun work on a three-row crossover based on the upcoming LS platform. As that's a rear-wheel-drive platform, this will make the upcoming Lexus vehicle competitive with the likes of the aforementioned Mercedes GL and Audi Q7, as well as the Infiniti QX80. Since it's a crossover (like the two mentioned), it will have superior packaging to vehicles like the Cadillac Escalade and Lincoln Navigator. Factor in economies of scale, and building the new three-row CUV off the platform intended for the LS and the LF-LC (probably to be renamed the SC) coupe will decrease costs for all three vehicles.

https://jalopnik.com/report-lexus-convertible-isnt-happening-because-of-pis-1662924022

And water is wet.

You are right. You know more than me.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I feel like the TX will be cross-shopped with the QX60/MDX more than the Germans
There will be some for sure but the TX is closer in size to the GLS/X7. The TX 3rd tow and rear cargo dwarfs those.

Also engine wise the Infiniti and Acura are way behind. Infinti has one engine, the 3,5 V-6 with 295hp. MDX base engine is a 3.5 with 290hp. Type S 355hp.

Base is a 2.5 I-4 with 275hp. Optional FSP has 366hp and the plug-in 406hp.