Reviews & News: The Lexus LC 500

mikeavelli

Reactions
Yeah I’m not really disagreeing but I assumed we would get what the LS got.

Oddly just noticed the Palisade has a similar screen/setup…

3656EB5C-965F-4FAA-A46D-F0B28BC6ECB9.jpeg393339EB-9FA3-4586-876B-1BC0434E7CDD.jpeg

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
View attachment 6898

1. They literally slapped a giant pad that looks arguably worse than current ipad onto the dash.

2. At least tuck the left side part into the padding area so it does not look "tacked on".

3. It must have been too hard for them to get contract from an actual supplier that are able to trim down those top and bottom fAT bEzELs.

4. Leave the clock where it's at behind the plastic cover.

I understand making it a touchscreen will never look as good as it sitting inside the dash but there are certainly ways to make it look more integrated.
I understand the internet loves to nitpick everything and for the amount of hate that Lexus reveals/updates get before the real thing comes out is just the typical circus that will come and go with the inevitable; "well the design is growing on me".

The people putting down 110k for the LC aren't as worried about bezel sizes. They know the LC is a rare vehicle produced in a strict high craftsmanship factory where the LFA was built and an excellent value for the money.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
The people putting down 110k for the LC aren't as worried about bezel sizes.
Yeah, we are. The bar for the segment is set high. The original appeal of the LC was it managed to avoid the usual TMC BS. It was a project of passion. A refresh like this doesnt scream "we care deeply". Nobody at that company is taking risks, given they force individuals to accept all responsibility for any minor risks or excesses they take in producing a vehicle.

The car has been out for 6 years now. It isnt 2018 any more. The bar has been raised. You can get a full electric 7 series with a widescreen theater display in the back. High end mercedes are getting giant custom displays. Even Porsches are now getting some very slick interior tech.

Even in the Lexus LM it is only now we are hearing rumors around non outdated displays and even then for what that thing costs, it isnt nearly enough.

Last edited:

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
Yeah, we are. The bar for the segment is set high. The original appeal of the LC was it managed to avoid the usual TMC BS. It was a project of passion. A refresh like this doesnt scream "we care deeply". Nobody at that company is taking risks, given they force individuals to accept all responsibility for any minor risks or excesses they take in producing a vehicle.

The car has been out for 6 years now. It isnt 2018 any more. The bar has been raised. You can get a full electric 7 series with a widescreen theater display in the back. High end mercedes are getting giant custom displays. Even Porsches are now getting some very slick interior tech.

Even in the Lexus LM it is only now we are hearing rumors around non outdated displays and even then for what that thing costs, it isnt nearly enough.

Best
b-P16_0787_a4_rgb.jpg

Runner up
P90458249-highRes.jpg

A tablet from 2010
lc6044-f.jpg

Enough said.

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
It's not that serious. Even if the bezel is not there there will still be complaint.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I think the BMW's worse than the LC in that lineup. Their bezel is overhanging the (fake?) wood trim, and from that angle at least it looks like the right side is farther away from the dash than the left, which is weird.

Porsche wins for looks and for having plenty of physical controls, but recessing the screen hurts usability, especially for shorter/smaller drivers. You really do want it right out front, and the visual designers need to figure out how to make it work.

Reactions: RAL

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
Looking closely, BMW's is also a tablet propped up on a shelf. It is less obvious because it combines the instrument cluster in front of the driver with the centre-mounted infotainment screen into one ultra-wide display. But it is not integrated into the dashboard like the Porsche or the Lexus instrument cluster.

I find the Porsche infotainment screen to be rather low, meaning the driver not only has to look to the right but also down, taking eyes off the road for a longer period.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Always unfair towards the NA V6 hybrid. I can’t think of any better hybrid. Maybe it would be better received in an IS 500h?

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
We were actually supposed to get an IS500h b4 they changed plans for whatever reason. But hey we got a V8

Reactions
Always unfair towards the NA V6 hybrid. I can’t think of any better hybrid. Maybe it would be better received in an IS 500h?
I’ve been wanting a multi-stage hybrid IS and RC for the longest time as it would provide a healthy acceleration and mpg improvement over the -350 powertrain.
0-60 in the high 4-second/low 5-second range would be sweet while still being able to possibly return better gas mileage than the LS500h AWD (22/29/25 city/highway/combined). 19/26/22 for the -350 AWD models isn’t terrible, but it isn’t great either as many more-powerful and heavier crossovers can come close to or match that.