5th Generation RX Discussion: Official Thread (RX 500h, 450h+, 350h and More)

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Their PHVs won't be huge successes until their new PHEV battery factory is built in 2024. Every new PHV model they launch is robbing Peter to pay Paul. The number of batteries they can make each year is fixed and they are only shifting them to higher margin products.

they are producing a lot more PHEVs than before. It might very much depend on the market, for instance they need them in Europe, and they scaled up production of batteries for them a lot more compared to where they were year ago with Rav4 Prime.

Reactions
How many power battery pack does RX450H+ have? one 18.1 Kwh like NX450H+ or two packs including another NiMH one ? What is the tech spec for that?Thanks

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Now we know the weight of each of the three variants, I've calculated the achievement ratios of this generation of RX and the results are to be expected:
RX.png

First Lexus did not achieve the claimed 100kg weight savings, it's 40kg for the RX 350. The RX 500h did not save any weight compared to the last gen RX 450h.

The achievement ratio is equally bad as the last gen and worse than gen 1-3, so it shouldn't come as a surprise the new gen barely got any performance AND fuel efficiency gains. The 500h does not bring anything new to the table compared to the 450h power-split hybrid system. It is also especially bad compared to the multistage power-split 500h system: the LS500h is 165kg heavier and total output is 9kW lower but is faster and has almost same fuel efficiency as the RX 500h. I've always said P2 hybrids suck and TMC couldn't do any better than other manufacturers that tried it.

So despite Lexus spending so much effort on them, two of the four powertrain options are sidegrades especially considering potential reliability degradation vs. the V6. The 350h/450h+ should be the more sensible options. Again, Lexus does not know how to build both fast and efficient ICEVs and P2 hybrids, and one should avoid them and go for their PS hybrids whenever possible.

Last edited:

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Using all documents available on Lexus Pressroom, here are the numbers I see.
https://pressroom.lexus.com/vehicle/2022-lexus-rx-450h/ (click on Product specs, download PDF)
https://pressroom.lexus.com/vehicle/2022-lexus-rx-350/ (click on Product specs, download PDF)

'22 RX 350 AWD: 19/22/26, 7.9s to 60
'23 RX 350 AWD: 21/24/28, 7.2s to 60

Better efficiency, better performance.

'22 RX 450h AWD: 30/30/28, 7.9s to 60
'23 RX 500h AWD: 27/27/28, 5.9s to 60
'23 RX 350h AWD: 37/36/34, 7.4s to 60

The '23 is a 2 pronged approach to the previous 450h buyer. If you wanted the same performance as the 450h, you get a 20% jump in fuel efficiency by moving to the 350h. If you want a performance improvement over the 450h, you get a 2 second reduction to 60 and ~10% hit to efficiency.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
According to Toyota JP spec sheet of Harrier PHEV, the wall-to-wheel energy consumption to fully charge up the 18.1 kWh battery pack is 14.91 kWh. This is the true figure you will get in a real-world usage scenario. I applaud them for publishing this information.

sl0519

Follower
Reactions

Haha, I did not expect it to be roasted this badly.
I think most people by now have come to realize that they are basically just milking profits with all these fancy Toyotas nowadays, with zero intention to put out / or improve upon existing higher-tier products that actually compete with real luxury brands.

LarryT

Follower
Reactions
Haha, I did not expect it to be roasted this badly.
I think most people by now have come to realize that they are basically just milking profits with all these fancy Toyotas nowadays, with zero intention to put out / or improve upon existing higher-tier products that actually compete with real luxury brands.

Unfortunately, that's about the size of it.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Or maybe people are just really bad about identifying value and where the costs have gone into a car so they resort to shallow arguments.

The RX is a high volume luxury CUV that dominates its space. When it ceases to do so I will criticize the approach. If you want unfettered skin deep luxury go lease a Benz and max out your gaming PC led lights in it and go cut someone off in traffic. I mean when your six figure flagship SUV isn't going in for recalls because the seats aren't attached properly.

I'm not excited for this model, but they have other stuff for that.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Reactions: Den