Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
This logic is becoming circular. RAV4s right now are selling in pre-sale only, before they hit the lot, too. This is just the state of the market.

Lexus is pre-selling every LX just like most other manufacturers are doing because of pandemic shortages. You can call that a slam dunk because they're all sold, and you can call it a low volume launch because there aren't many being produced, and I guess you'd be right about both. I personally veer more towards point #2... the car is capacity constrained so they're selling what inventory they have before it's even really made. It just is what it is. Would Lexus like to sell 10k of them a month? Yes. Do they have that many to sell anyway? No.

LarryT

Follower
Reactions
But you're making it sound like there are plenty of extra units sitting on the lots and the 558 is all they've sold so far which isn't true.

No, you just lack comprehension.

There's only been 558 sold because that's how many vehicles have been delivered to the US. Every one has been sold. I don't know how much better you can get than a 100% sold rate with 0 days on the lot. I really don't know what you were expecting.

All the justifications & rationalizations you've presented won't change the fact that the LX600 is still last place in sales among all full-size luxury SUV's currently.

Jezza819

Follower
Reactions

All the justifications & rationalizations you've presented won't change the fact that the LX600 is still last place in sales among all full-size luxury SUV's currently.

And why do you think that it's in last place?

mikeavelli

Reactions
Had a blast at #hqconfidential off-roading a variety of Toyota and Lexus vehicles including this F Sport Handlng below. It even rained for us and it’s pretty stunning on street 22” tires the LX was unstoppable. I’m even more in love.

BBA6788D-01D8-45E2-821D-AE85AA1A58C4.jpegBBA6788D-01D8-45E2-821D-AE85AA1A58C4.jpeg1744424E-E8B2-4F84-BE2C-EA58E9522438.jpegFA400E05-F61E-4A44-907C-17AFF654AEB1.jpegBB674097-8B11-409F-B8D9-7F08DB77B645.jpeg

mikeavelli

Reactions
This logic is becoming circular. RAV4s right now are selling in pre-sale only, before they hit the lot, too. This is just the state of the market.

Lexus is pre-selling every LX just like most other manufacturers are doing because of pandemic shortages. You can call that a slam dunk because they're all sold, and you can call it a low volume launch because there aren't many being produced, and I guess you'd be right about both. I personally veer more towards point #2... the car is capacity constrained so they're selling what inventory they have before it's even really made. It just is what it is. Would Lexus like to sell 10k of them a month? Yes. Do they have that many to sell anyway? No.

But the LX has always been a low production rare SUV here. It’s biggest selling market is the middle east and that is like 15-20k units tops. This isn’t a high volume vehicle.

So bashing it for selling low is at this point ridiculous as it’s not a high selling model. Never was never will be. I’ve been told they would like to add more units here but we are talking like a couple thousand, not 20,000 more.

The other part is Lexus is well aware a lot of the LX allure is it’s not in every driveway like an Escalade etc. It’s a “u gotta know” vehicle. Everyone buys an Escalade. The QX is cheaper. The X7/GLS are giant CUVs not real 4x4s. Obviously they all sell well and have their targets.

Demetrius

Founding Member
Reactions

The excellent Genesis GV80 is currently 15th out of 22 vehicles in its segment in sales for FY22. The 13 year old GX more than doubles its sales and the RX sells 9 times as much. Yet, they are hot sellers reportedly. Are there limited buyers? Does being outsold by a relic such as the GX speak volumes?

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I do think as a North American enthusiast living in a vacuum, the LX600 is not a sales leader, based on the LX470 and early 570 sales volume. However exiting the vacuum, looking at the LX600s core markets, its a sales leader as it caters so well to the offroad limo.

Now a few points in the NA market to note, are that LX570s have been selling for well below sticker since 2017. This is no longer the case with the LX600 and ADMs are finally a thing in select regions. That being said, with any new vehicle to market and the fact the troubling times we currently are in, I'd wait to determine if the ADMs (indicator of a hot product), and slam dunks are the new status quo or a temporary situation. The RCF when launched (albeit during better times) enjoyed a similarly hard market for 6-8 months where dealers were asking ADMs, waitlists galore, and then in 2016 they had excess inventory that could not be moved.

Last edited:

LarryT

Follower
Reactions
The excellent Genesis GV80 is currently 15th out of 22 vehicles in its segment in sales for FY22.
The 13 year old GX more than doubles its sales and the RX sells 9 times as much.

Terrible analogy! The Genesis GV80 production is also limited to around 2000 units a month for North America by Hyundai so using the GV80 sales data as a measurement to bolster your flawed argument is simply comical. 😁

Does being outsold by a relic such as the GX speak volumes?

None of what you wrote alters that the LX600 is last in the luxury, large SUV class & is being outsold by other "relics" in the segment.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
Terrible analogy! The Genesis GV80 production is also limited to around 2000 units a month for North America by Hyundai so using the GV80 sales data as a measurement to bolster your flawed argument is simply comical. 😁

None of what you wrote alters that the LX600 is last in the luxury, large SUV class & is being outsold by other "relics" in the segment.
You accept that the GV80 is production-limited yet you will not accept that the LX is also production-limited.

mikeavelli

Reactions

Wait a minute. So the GV80 is production limited but not the LX 600? This is hypocrisy at its finest.

LarryT

Follower
Reactions
Wait a minute. So the GV80 is production limited but not the LX 600? This is hypocrisy at its finest.

You accept that the GV80 is production-limited yet you will not accept that the LX is also production-limited.

Where exactly did I state that the LX600 wasn't "production limited?

And at least the GV80 isn't completely last in it's segment/class like the LX600. :ROFLMAO::LOL:

mikeavelli

Reactions

And at least the GV80 isn't completely last in it's segment/class like the LX600. :ROFLMAO::LOL:

Enjoy your fake 300c wanna be cuv bentley. At this point you have nothing to add to the LX and obviously have issues with it.

Levi

Expert
Reactions

GV80 without V8 won't have a better fate than LS, even being a CUV. And GV80 is a much closer competitor to X5/GLE than the LX. While the LX is a niche product selling in a vaccum, as G Wagon and Range Rover/Land Rover, GV80 targets mainstream luxury market, which includes the RX.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
The LX doesn’t have a traditional vehicle segment any more than the G class does. These are in some ways Veblen goods. The position in the market they hold, including volumes sold isn’t some huge surprise to Toyota.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
An interesting point I just thought of: if the Sequoia LX idea is so good, could Lexus charge $100k to put a Lexus badge on the Sequoia Capstone (and not offer it at Toyota dealers) and will they sell 1000+ a month? For the entire TMC that will be 20k extra profit per car.

A similar point can be made about the Lexus truck: put a Lexus badge on Tundra Capstone and charge more, and keep the regular Toyota lineup focused on offroad not comfort. In fact if they do Lexus Sequoia they are forced to turn Tundra Capstone into a Lexus too.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
An interesting point I just thought of: if the Sequoia LX idea is so good, could Lexus charge $100k to put a Lexus badge on the Sequoia Capstone (and not offer it at Toyota dealers) and will they sell 1000+ a month? For the entire TMC that will be 20k extra profit per car.

A similar point can be made about the Lexus truck: put a Lexus badge on Tundra Capstone and charge more, and keep the regular Toyota lineup focused on offroad not comfort. In fact if they do Lexus Sequoia they are forced to turn Tundra Capstone into a Lexus too.
Depends solely on what kind of sales target Lexus has in mind. I doubt they could move 1k units a month if the sequoia is moving 12k a year.

For ref the other players usually do the following:
Luxury Brand : Mass Market versions
1:10

Levi

Expert
Reactions
The only "rebadged" Lexus is the LX, and even then, the new LX has a lot of differences compared Landcruiser, as opposed to previous generations. Lexus can not just rebadge the Sequoia/Tundra, but if they make significant changes as they did for the LX, they might not make as much profit if sale numbers are low. Luxury truck is only a US thing, the LX sells in other countries in higher numbers than a Lexus Sequoia/Tundra would in the US. I think TMC did their market research. Must be only internet guys asking for for a Lexus Sequoia/Tundra, real buyers want a TX and a Tacoma.