12th Generation E120 Toyota Corolla Thread (Hatch, Sedan, Cross, GR)

Reactions
The 8AT from the V6 Highlander, Camry, Avalon, ES, and RX would be capable of handling the power... but the gear spacing is less than ideal for a performance car, IMO.

I will remain neutral on this. On one hand, I think Toyota's programming of their performance automatics are pretty good, however they've done a horrible job with gearing on the current 8-speed in the cars you mentioned.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Here is what I would like to see out of the Corolla hatch and sedan refresh:
Sedan: base engine is M20 (L, LE, SE, SE 6MT), hybrid is M20 (LE, SE, XLE, XSE)
Hatch: base engine is M20 (SE, SE 6MT, XSE 6MT), GR Sport is 220hp ~ 240hp A25A hybrid (XSE)*, GR Corolla is G16 (6MT only, XSE grade)

* This drivetrain is an absolute peach and would make a great middle ground between the standard M20 and the G16. 240hp getting over 40mpg on regular.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I wonder if they move to nix the ICE engines completely on the refresh or is this waiting on the next. gen. The next gen camry thats testing seems to be HEV only. Corolla is AWL right now, but the test mules should be coming into the scene as well.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Sienna, Sequoia, Crown, Venza all are HEV only and I won't be surprised if this trend continues by time
I could see the Corolla hanging around for another gen without being 100% hybrid. Toyota still sells a lot of them and the buyers tend to be very price conscious so having that cheap entry model is valuable here. I do expect that the next gen Corolla has a lot more electrified offerings than just a single LE trim of the sedan, though.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Is it correct the new Corolla Cross Hybrid is Flexfuel? This is a first for Toyota (Hybrid + Flexfuel).

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
The next-gen Corolla could go on the new E3 platform that combines the TNGA-C and the e-TNGA platforms.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I’ll have a couple of reviews soon. Shocked at how good the APEX is. Now in a Corolla Cross which it is petty roomy for a compact cuv but drives like an early 2000s Toyota.
3932DC3E-F5C9-4516-B6B8-755A48F5580B.jpeg

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I’ll have a couple of reviews soon. Shocked at how good the APEX is. Now in a Corolla Cross which it is petty roomy for a compact cuv but drives like an early 2000s Toyota.
View attachment 5548
The Cross is gonna sell like early 2000s Toyotas....Sales goals bested easily. While I have reservations about the cross, especially how they didnt bring over the appointments from their JDM specs, but for the average buyer the Cross will beast anything, especially the regular corolla models (especially the hatchback).

larryren

Follower
Reactions
The Cross is gonna sell like early 2000s Toyotas....Sales goals bested easily. While I have reservations about the cross, especially how they didnt bring over the appointments from their JDM specs, but for the average buyer the Cross will beast anything, especially the regular corolla models (especially the hatchback).
JDM spec..... you mean the powertrain spec? or the exterior design? 😄

larryren

Follower
Reactions
Everything. They have the hybrid, pano roof, body colored panels, and more interior colors.
ahhh...... I think you don't want that old-fashion 1.8L NA or 1.8H system, just keep waiting US Toyota intro the EU-spec Corolla Cross locally. 2L high tuned hybrid system with combine 190hp+ output that much better than JDM one, It maybe giving the pano roof for hybrid trim. And you must mistaken something, JDM's Corolla Cross didn't provide light tones interior color like US spec. It all provide black interior color, just only the seat material is different.

mikeavelli

Reactions
ahhh...... I think you don't want that old-fashion 1.8L NA or 1.8H system, just keep waiting US Toyota intro the EU-spec Corolla Cross locally. 2L high tuned hybrid system with combine 190hp+ output that much better than JDM one, It maybe giving the pano roof for hybrid trim. And you must mistaken something, JDM's Corolla Cross didn't provide light tones interior color like US spec. It all provide black interior color, just only the seat material is different.
Yes the more powerful hybrid is coming.