12th Generation E120 Toyota Corolla Thread (Hatch, Sedan, Cross, GR)

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
I wish they would get on with releasing the details. I just want to see what the thing looks like.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
LB Formula Drift is the first weekend of April. I think maybe we will just see the camouflaged version at that point since the car is still in camo for the teasers.

Reactions
Hood scoop looks gimicky unless they're trying to appeal to the WRX crowd...there aren't any on the Yaris. But yeah, this PS is still speculative

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I wish they would do a GR Camry with AWD. Torque steer has been one of the things holding that car back - throw a tuned turbo 4cyl under the hood with sport suspension and this AWD system, and it would be a killer and "family man" enthusiast's dream.

Camry is quickly becoming one of the last cars standing in the midsize segment so... why not?

Motor

Expert
Reactions

Anyone remember this?

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I wish they would do a GR Camry with AWD. Torque steer has been one of the things holding that car back - throw a tuned turbo 4cyl under the hood with sport suspension and this AWD system, and it would be a killer and "family man" enthusiast's dream.

Camry is quickly becoming one of the last cars standing in the midsize segment so... why not?
Haha that would be a out of pocket for traditional Toyota ways, they need serious competition from their crosstown rivals (Honda mainly).

That does beg the question who is Toyotas GR corolla answering too exactly? Not too many hot hatches exist, and the hatch corolla doesnt even sell well in the states althought Europe is a whole another story (hot hatch stomping ground).

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Haha that would be a out of pocket for traditional Toyota ways, they need serious competition from their crosstown rivals (Honda mainly).

That does beg the question who is Toyotas GR corolla answering too exactly? Not too many hot hatches exist, and the hatch corolla doesnt even sell well in the states althought Europe is a whole another story (hot hatch stomping ground).
IMO the people that want something like the STi hatchback and Focus RS, except it is actually well built and well engineered and doesn't feel like it's going disintegrate after 5000 miles lol, maybe also the people that feel like the Golf R is an overpriced POS.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions

There are a lot of guys out there like me that cut our teeth on sport compacts in the late 90s/early 00s. Our kids are getting big enough that they don't need gigantic car seats. We're approaching 40 and want to drive something interesting... something that our next door neighbor doesn't have. Something special. The WRX is watered down. The STI is gone. The Focus RS is gone. The Golf R is a little too grown up. The GR Corolla can be special if they do it right.

Trob20

Fan
Reactions

It seems to be answering to the haters that think Toyota can't build a true driving machine. I do look forward to how the new civic type R will compare to the GR Corolla.

Reactions

Take the supercharged V6 engine from the Lotus Emira and slap that in the hood of the Camry. You could detune it, but a 400 horsepower Camry would be such a flex.

Then, take either the Highlander's Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD system, or try to fit the GR-Four AWD system under it.

Chuck in the 6-speed iMT manual transmission. Use the brand new 8-speed automatic that's being developed for the GR Yaris and GR Corolla. But primarily make it in a manual.

Give it a LSD.

Stiffen the chassis and give it a more capable suspension system. Don't cheap out on the brakes either.

GR Camry.

~45k USD.

Have that be the farewell for the V6 in the Camry forever before they go crazy with the turbocharged 4-cylinders. And produce as many as they possibly can. First American-made GR product too. Literally nobody could ever bash on Toyota, ever again.

While the current generation Camry is one of the best driving midsize sedans out there, imagine if they did THAT to the Camry. We can do fun, and we'll do it crazier than anyone else.

@mikeavelli use your networking powers and please make this happen. 😂😂

Last edited: