PeterF

Follower
Reactions
This is certainly good news for those who love Lexus and higher performance cars. I am not sure I would go for the launch edition; the color does not really interest me, BBS wheels are nice (but who cares that they are 4 pounds lighter, it won't really make a difference), the interior is nice, but I personally don't like grey interior with same color exterior, and I am sure it will be at least $10k more. BUT, I am interested in this car nonetheless. I love the engine. it will provide a substantial boost in power, it looks really good, it's a nice size. I am impressed that Lexus is listening to all you enthusiasts and that some gear-heads are making decisions. great news!

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
I feel like if there's any Lexus model that may appreciate in value in the long-term, it's this car. A rare 1-of-500 special edition of the last V8-powered RWD sedans ever built.
I doubt it will appreciate in value. the anniversary edition GSF and RCF did not. I have seen both on Autotrader with asking prices similar to the rest in their year

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
I doubt it will appreciate in value. the anniversary edition GSF and RCF did not. I have seen both on Autotrader with asking prices similar to the rest in their year
You're right, but I'm talking about in the next 20-30 years, when hybrids, EVs and small ICEs will be the majority of vehicles on the road, I feel like there will be a much higher demand for a "pure" driving experience offered from those cars. But I'm not an expert on car prices so it might not be the most educated guess.

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
You're right, but I'm talking about in the next 20-30 years, when hybrids, EVs and small ICEs will be the majority of vehicles on the road, I feel like there will be a much higher demand for a "pure" driving experience offered from those cars. But I'm not an expert on car prices so it might not be the most educated guess.
I certainly agree that there will be a demand (and I hope there will be) for the kinds of driving experiences that such a car will offer once the EVs take over. Although, i understand that the Porsche Taycan offers a great driving experience and I bet there will be a few more EVs out there offering great driving experiences. I am biased and I like the kind of experience a higher HP NA (gas) engine offers when accelerating.

mikeavelli

Reactions

They will over time with low miles. Just like what’s happening with a low mileage and clean IS F. Some are 50-65k now.

ACEtheOG

Founding Member
Reactions
If Lexus pricing is compelling, it's a no brainer - USB with black interior for me! A real good appetizer until that rumoured 4.0V8TT...

Starting prices for reference (all in CAD), MB C43 AMG ~$72k, BMW M340i xDrive ~$63k, Audi S4 ~$61k. You gain the V8, but you lose the AWD (not an issue for me, but a big deal for many Canadian buyers).

Interestingly the 3.0 Supra starts at ~$68k... I don't think they will sell the IS500 for less, but I would love to see them come in, fists swinging at sub $70k.

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
They will over time with low miles. Just like what’s happening with a low mileage and clean IS F. Some are 50-65k now.
Yes, that is interesting. However, I buy a car to drive it (and the IS500 looks really good for that purpose) and I would put far more miles on the car for any real appreciation, anyway, the kind of return on investment you are noting is not good (20 + % over 20 year). What I am excited about is that this car has the the famous Lexus 8 cl 5L NA engine, (that in this range is the best on the market and there essentially are no more NA engines like this out there), it will sound fantastic, it has excellent suspension and steering mechanics; It looks sexy and has all of the luxury and reliability that Lexus offers. I also like the size as well. Finally we have a car from Lexus that will kick ass in all ways (ok the RC F is an excellent car, but it has its limitations). While we don't know the price, my bet is that it will be about $64-68 k; which, all things considered, is excellent for this kind of car. As far as I'm concerned (and I'm biased) there is nothing that Mercedes (AMG or not) has like this car (who wants a turbo charged car now), Porsche really doesn't have anything and all of their cars with the exception of 911 GT cars, are turbo charged and twice the price (I love Porsches BTW), and BMW is becoming pathetic, has terrible reliability numbers and seems to have an identity crisis. I like all of the performance numbers for the IS500. I will be looking at the prices and color schemes when they get posted

Reactions
If Lexus pricing is compelling, it's a no brainer - USB with black interior for me! A real good appetizer until that rumoured 4.0V8TT...

Starting prices for reference (all in CAD), MB C43 AMG ~$72k, BMW M340i xDrive ~$63k, Audi S4 ~$61k. You gain the V8, but you lose the AWD (not an issue for me, but a big deal for many Canadian buyers).

Interestingly the 3.0 Supra starts at ~$68k... I don't think they will sell the IS500 for less, but I would love to see them come in, fists swinging at sub $70k.

~70k CAD would make a ton of sense for this car.

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
Here (USA), IS 350 F Sport starts at $42,900 which is a great deal. Plenty of room for a base IS 500 to start in the mid to high $50s.
oh, great! I am happy I was so way off. mid to high $50s sounds pretty good, thanks!