Official 8th Generation (2018+) 010B Camry Discussion

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I'm guessing you don't mind it.

It just seems unfinished to me.

You don’t see behind it at all... the only way to look behind it is to put your head over the passenger side of the dashboard and look left. It’s really a non-issue.

Will1991

Reactions
For China Camry received a special update, a brand new 12.3-inch display:

image.png

image.png

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
So I can’t seem to find the thread about the latest Toyota press release stating we will see 3 new electrified vehicles this year but figured I’d ask here. It mentions 2 BEV’s and 1 plug in hybrid. So my question is do you believe we could see a Camry “prime” a plug in hybrid setup similar to the RAV4? I love the powertrain of the RAV4 prime, electric, hybrid awd making good power and excellent efficiency. I’m just not a fan of the smaller crossover/SUV’s. I was dead set on ordering a Camry XSE Hybrid because of the good looks and mpg, but if Toyota is going to release a Camry Prime I’d rather wait. Sedan sales are low as we all know so I am just not sure if Toyota would offer it or not. Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
I am guessing that the Avalon Prime and C-HR Prime are for the Chinese market. Neither makes much sense for the (North) American market.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I am guessing that the Avalon Prime and C-HR Prime are for the Chinese market. Neither makes much sense for the (North) American market.

Why wouldnt Avalon make sense for US market? And C-HR for European market for sure.

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
I think the Camry Prime would be a much better seller than the Avalon. The only question I would have is sales and demand. Toyota can’t seem to make enough RAV4 Primes as it is so adding another “Prime” to the lineup could be dangerous.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Because of sales and following on the RAV4 Prime, I am thinking that Camry Prime would be a better bet than Avalon Prime.

Dunno, I think adding $9k to Avalon price is easier than to Camry's... and it will help it sell better. Plus it is already being made for China anyway.

They cant product 10k of them per month anyway.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
Dunno, I think adding $9k to Avalon price is easier than to Camry's... and it will help it sell better. Plus it is already being made for China anyway.

They cant product 10k of them per month anyway.
Full-size cars, including the Avalon, do not sell well, especially in Canada (we don't even get the Avalon Hybrid). I highly doubt that adding an even higher-priced Avalon Prime is going to add sales.

I am thinking that the only reason that the Avalon continues to be sold here, when most of its competitors (Ford Taurus, Chevrolet Impala, Buick LaCrosse) have been dropped, is that it is a variation of the Camry and ES, so incremental costs over those 2 models is minimal; Avalon can be sold in North America in low numbers and still be profitable.

The Camry, however, still sells quite well, in part because there are fewer competitors now. The Camry Hybrid sells well and the Camry Prime will be just another variation on the Hybrid. And if Toyota could subsidize Camry Prime prices...