Reactions
Cant wait for the ES 400h or whatever that thing is going to be called lol. The numbers should be 290hp & 431 lb ft torque. Might be off on the torque but that car is going to be a beast especially in AWD/RWD mode. This also could be a sign that the F Brand could continue with high performance hybrids.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Cant wait for the ES 400h or whatever that thing is going to be called lol. The numbers should be 290hp & 431 lb ft torque. Might be off on the torque but that car is going to be a beast especially in AWD/RWD mode. This also could be a sign that the F Brand could continue with high performance hybrids.
I don't know where you get these numbers but they are incorrect. First it won't have less power than the RAV4 Prime's simpler system. Second there is no crank torque rating for THS (because it makes no sense), only wheel torque which Toyota usually doesn't share.

Reactions
I don't know where you get these numbers but they are incorrect. First it won't have less power than the RAV4 Prime's simpler system. Second there is no crank torque rating for THS (because it makes no sense), only wheel torque which Toyota usually doesn't share.

I based the numbers off the video Lexus posted explaining the ES product. They did have number figures in the box with them explaining the drive modes. Engine + both electric motors with of course basing it off of 75% of the electric motor numbers due to efficiency. Not sure what type of engine they would use but im going off of the current engine options.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Engine + both electric motors with of course basing it off of 75% of the electric motor numbers due to efficiency.
That's not how it works. Toyota engineers will be fired if they design a hybrid system with 75% efficiency.

In all hybrid vehicles the power is not determined by engine+motor, it's engine+battery. The motor is not an energy source, the battery is.

Toyota rates THS power in two different ways:
On 'regular' hybrids, the rating is power at the output shaft of the hybrid transmission. The power is slightly lower than ICE+battery power.
On LC/LS500h the rating is simply ICE+battery power without accounting for losses in PCU, motor, and planetary gear set. They do this to 'inflate' the rating for 'performance' reasons.
In both cases the motors are oversized for engineering margins. The only exception is the 1.8L system on the Prius/Corolla hybrid where MG2 is undersized (for maximum efficiency) so total output is limited by MG2 not battery.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Oh my bad, then why can't this system be used in a Lexus SUV?

Because Lexus SUVs are either body on frame (full time 4x4 with torsen center diff) or FWD-biased with the older (slip then grip) AWD system. If Lexus ever had a RWD-biased CUV, it would have used the same system as the IS, GS and LS, most likely.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Because Lexus SUVs are either body on frame (full time 4x4 with torsen center diff) or FWD-biased with the older (slip then grip) AWD system. If Lexus ever had a RWD-biased CUV, it would have used the same system as the IS, GS and LS, most likely.
Oh ok, I was under the impression that Lexus didn't have such a system for some reason.

Reactions
Hello everyone. I think the SUV on the picture is a LX! The wheels on it is a 5 lug LX570 wheel. Test mules usually have previous generation wheels on them. The video said 300Nm of electric torque for front, same for back. Also, how boxy the body is, I do not think it's a RX. In comparison to the ES next to it, it's about the size of a LX. It's a LX!

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
The next full-size BOF will be 6 lug based on Tundra spy shots

Leaving the 5 lug to the next mid Tacoma, Hilux, 4Runner, Fortuner, Prado &GX

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
One thing I noticed about the single-motor hybrid system is its very powerful motor. 90kW is very big for a P2 hybrid system but too small for PHV system. I wonder if Toyota uses such a large motor for engineering margins or do they have very powerful batteries for their trucks.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
One thing I noticed about the single-motor hybrid system is its very powerful motor. 90kW is very big for a P2 hybrid system but too small for PHV system. I wonder if Toyota uses such a large motor for engineering margins or do they have very powerful batteries for their trucks.

yes... it has to be though, otherwise these big trucks wont even feel it.
Although, as you know, i would not be sure that 90kw is battery output and not max motor output.

However, at the same time, batteries are cheaper and cheaper, and since they can already run Prime in performance mode even without EV mode left, it seems like they can easily do it here, just question is if they want (to add larger battery than can output more).

Levi

Expert
Reactions
what is nice to see is how fast TMC reacts despite what all the whiners say. TMC is not even late to the transition but rather just in time. till now the only BEVs that were successful but also the only available are Tesla, Leaf and Zoe. the real market is only starting in 2 years. the taycan while a Porsche sales success, has non impact on the BEV transition, it is a drop in the sea.

Reactions
This E-axle shows that TMC is going all in into electrification and may mean the writing is on the wall for Tesla.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
what is nice to see is how fast TMC reacts despite what all the whiners say. TMC is not even late to the transition but rather just in time. till now the only BEVs that were successful but also the only available are Tesla, Leaf and Zoe. the real market is only starting in 2 years. the taycan while a Porsche sales success, has non impact on the BEV transition, it is a drop in the sea.

They forgot to peruse the TMC > Model S > Battery & Charging forums where there are members who are getting the run around to get battery repair work done before the eight year warranty ends.

And we know that Tesla dropped the ball on the S and X by lowering the coverage from unlimited mileage to 240,000 km.

I would definitely not bother with a Tesla especially with the Model 3 not offering an ESA / extended warranty and with shady Right to Repair though there was an article last week that said Tesla is finally opening it up.

Tesla's mission is to keep selling these BEVs without much care for longevity past the warranty periods. These reliability issues will bite back one of these days when there are more compelling BEVs or PHEVs to choose from.

I would probably trust Toyota and the after market suppliers to offer battery refurbishment or replacements down the road seeing how there are vendors like Green Bean in the USA that offer Toyota/Lexus reconditioned hybrid battery replacements at reasonable prices and with lifetime warranties. That cannot be said with many other manufacturers like Nissan or Tesla (ready to gouge).