mikeavelli

Reactions
I’ll also say this. Lexus just sell F-Sport hybrids. Look if the IS 300h F sport came and it got 40 MPG well that’s something the competition doesn’t offer. I would love that.

The RX And Ux get hybrid f sport but not the NX, ES, LS or now IS.

Why?

If you are going to be underpowered then leverage your class leading hybrid capabilities.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I’ll also say this. Lexus just sell F-Sport hybrids. Look if the IS 300h F sport came and it got 40 MPG well that’s something the competition doesn’t offer. I would love that.

Why?

If you are going to be underpowered then leverage your class leading hybrid capabilities.

In reality given how long their hybrid systems have been driven by racing research, hybridization for the F sport and full on F cars could be a real differentiator.

Limited EV mode and systems meant more for boosting than anything else. If they can also produce great mileage, even better.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
@Carmaker1 is really the expert with that, and even @Joaquin Ruhi knows better than me. But I think they tend to be active 12-18 months before a car is announced....?
Your comment piqued my curiosity. I did a forums search for "trademarks" on posts written by @Carmaker1 . On average, trademarks are filed 24-30 months before a vehicle is to go on sale. There have been, however, exceptions in both directions. UX 200, UX 250h and the defunct UX 250 trademarks were filed 33.5 months before they went on sale, while LS 430 was filed belatedly after its public unveiling.

joepac

Fan
Reactions
I have a 1974 Celica and active in the 1st Gen celica scene as well as other older Toyotas...if they can cram a 2JZ or a 2UR or a LS into one of those, I'm sure lexus can figure out a way to get the V35A or a 2UR in the new IS... No?

CT200h

Fan
Reactions

Why?

BMW has offered the 330e hybrid sedan with the full M sport package since 2017.
I’d say that’s a direct competitor offering an equivilant option. Here is the recently completely redesigned all ne 2020 330e m sport
And yes I agree Lexus should offer F sport versions of all hybrids . Bmw also does X5 plug in hybrid m sport
5 and 7 series sedan plug in hybrid m sport and x3 30e msport suv

Last edited:

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Looking at online opinions about Lexus in general and about this 'new' IS, overall the main criticism are noncompetitive powertrains, than infortainment. Most that are not trolls like this IS, have no issue with it being a facelift, but complain about the lack of new powertrains, more efficient/powerful, and that the interior is not updated to today's standards in design, which is all true.

If Lexus enthusiasts complain about it, what about others? The complainers are not FWD CUV buyers. At Infiniti, without competitive Q50/Q60/Q70/FX, even the FWD CUVs don't sell anymore.

Yes, I know, complainers are like a broken record... sorry...

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
Looking at online opinions about Lexus in general and about this 'new' IS, overall the main criticism are noncompetitive powertrains, than infortainment. Most that are not trolls like this IS, have no issue with it being a facelift, but complain about the lack of new powertrains, more efficient/powerful, and that the interior is not updated to today's standards in design, which is all true.

If Lexus enthusiasts complain about it, what about others? The complainers are not FWD CUV buyers. At Infiniti, without competitive Q50/Q60/Q70/FX, even the FWD CUVs don't sell anymore.

Yes, I know, complainers are like a broken record... sorry...

Yes. It is like a broken record.

CT200h

Fan
Reactions
The exterior stying is really nice , and it’s great they mov d the screen forward made it larger and added touch control, but they should have distched the touch pad , it’s terrible and has been since day one .
I had 2 Lexus cars with it 😳 Awful.
As far as powertrain the 4cyl turbo is weak. I wished they had improved the output .
Anyway lots of missed opportunities here from Lexus .

Motor

Expert
Reactions

I have a negative view of this “new IS”, but I’m still looking forward to seeing them on the roads.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
The previous integrated screen looked so much better, but customers like stuck pads....sigh

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I have not looked at TMC private track, but can you imagine they built such a development focused track from scratch? That is some serious investment/research, I looks nothing like BMW's or Ferrari's tiny basic tracks. Why build if not for ultimate performance? I am sure the LC F will be perfectly fine tuned there, with the need to test on NR and set some lightning fast laps on many other tracks with testing. I also expect TMC/Lexus to have the capability of making the best handling BEV. Imagine a 500 PS SSB AWD AWS TV 2024 IS?

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
^ Drool. hopefully electric TV for less complexity and 3-4x faster/more responsive than mechanical AWD.

heck, I'd even wait for it until 2026 lol.

Maybe best handling in class and also utmost reliability lol.

Last edited:

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
The previous integrated screen looked so much better, but customers like stuck pads....sigh

I think it has to do with line of sight. Integrated ones will almost always require us to look slightly down because

How do I know this? I have bought the same smartphone mount and put them on three of our cars. It does look tacky and misplaced but at least I'm always looking at the road (even peripherally) rather than bobbing my eyes/head up and down.

Anytime it's integrated, either you raise the cowl cover/height or you put the display much lower than the line of sight (keeping eyes on the road). I am not distracted much when driving (just need the navigation because my sense of direction outside the grid type system is bad) so integrated displays like on the Taycan/e-tron will do, unlike many younger drivers who think they're just in one big iPod.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
The screen on the previous IS was not low, just as this one, but this one is closer to enable touch. Changing line of sight is faster and safer with periphal vision, than changing focus. Focus blurs peripheral vision more.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
BMW has offered the 330e hybrid sedan with the full M sport package since 2017.
I’d say that’s a direct competitor offering an equivilant option. Here is the recently completely redesigned all ne 2020 330e m sport
And yes I agree Lexus should offer F sport versions of all hybrids . Bmw also does X5 plug in hybrid m sport
5 and 7 series sedan plug in hybrid m sport and x3 30e msport suv

They also just fired 6,000 people and are reducing wages on thousands more.

super51fan

Follower
Reactions
I don't understand what you said but it sounds scientific lol.

I often use the 5 series for this example because the current model and previous and identical layouts and screen sizes except the newer model (top) has a lower dashboard because the screen isn't integrated like the older model (bottom) since you can see over the tablet.

bmw-5-series-g30-and-f10-comparison.jpg