CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I guess we cant know for sure now, but what're the chances their other engines fit in this bay? I am not familiar with how much space they have to work with, but I cant imagine that Akio, whi had 2 GRMN Century cars approved for creation, wouldn't randomly do engine swaps.

I would be randomly walking the floor asking people what we can fit in here, or there. If I were him.

This is all dumb oversimplification but "can we do a V8 swap on this one real quick?" would be a regular question I'd have.

But also boats, I guess.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Sedans don't sell? People must be not have good taste, show me a CUV that looks even as exciting as this?

Definitely no CUV will look that sleek unless you take their tops off haha.

Unless one values a higher ride/seat height (back, leg or body pain are the only legit reasons because out on the highway, if one isn't tailgating, one doesn't need to be sitting so high up for visibility anyway -- those who complain about visibility are the ones following too closely) and require the cargo volume, I don't seen the need for another CUV in my household. Keeping the RAV4H for life or until it costs me a lot to maintain (which may be never) or if I get a good deal on the e-tron S, maybe maximize the depreciation and get a 7 y.o. one just in case the battery goes kaput.

Jezza819

Follower
Reactions
Fair point, but I'd think if you wanted to make F sport a limited higher end offering, why the compromised V6? If you're gonna give up all the "I just want it to look good and fast and will you finance this for me?" money, seems weird to me to make it not available only on IS350 or across everything. I thought they pitched their turbos as fun to drive. Harder to claim without f sport.

That's what I was saying. I thought it was a strange decision to pass up that segment that wants a car strictly on looks and would be attracted to a turbo F Sport.

mordecai

Follower
Reactions
If the IS500 and IS-F is real, I have to question Lexus’ decision to split the announcements. The enthusiasts have already dismissed this new IS on the basis of its old platform, powertrain, and interior. No matter how damn good looking it is, how sexy it is, how beaut— um what was I talking about? 😂 No matter how nice the exterior is, first impressions are almost everything and enthusiasts have already made up their mind.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Cool down....

2IS is built on N Platform, 3IS is built on New N Platform. We know 3IS and 4GS do not have the same front end. What does it mean? Subframe? Towers? Crash structure?

Let us look a some pics:

First the front subframe, we can clearly see the front subframe is the same in the 4GS, RC, and 3.5IS. The subframe of the 4 IS is probably slightly different, what clearly is different is the knuckle, that ties the upper and lower control arms.

4GSF:
Front-and-rear-suspension-(A)--GSF6034.jpg

RC/F:
Lexus-RC-2015-1024-87.jpg

3.5IS:
Lexus-IS-2021-1024-60.jpg

Now looking for the differences in chassis, the a whole lot of the front does look exactly the same in the 4GS and RC, different is the 3IS, and 3.5 looks more similar to 4GS/RC.

4GS:
Lexus-GS-rigid-body-structure-with-crumple-zones-safety-1204x677-LEX-GSG-MY16-0284.jpg

RC:
Lexus-RC-2015-1024-86.jpg

3.5IS:
Lexus-IS-2021-1024-54.jpg

3IS:
Lexus-IS-structural-safety-600x338-LEX-ISG-MY14-0096.01.png

I doubt the impossibility of 2UR in 3IS, but comparing these pictures, I am almost sure an IS500 with 2UR is coming, because it looks so possible.

Sebass

Follower
Reactions
The most disappointing thing about the IS reveal, (aside from the really obvious stuff), is that it's going to be another long period of time until Lexus reveals their next new vehicle. Speaking of which, does anybody know when the next new vehicle unveil from Lexus will be? as well as what that vehicle is going to be? My guess is it will be the refreshed LS, but that is only if the car will have a (fingers crossed), 6 year life-cycle.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
The most disappointing thing about the IS reveal, (aside from the really obvious stuff), is that it's going to be another long period of time until Lexus reveals their next new vehicle. Speaking of which, does anybody know when the next new vehicle unveil from Lexus will be? as well as what that vehicle is going to be? My guess is it will be the refreshed LS, but that is only if the car will have a (fingers crossed), 6 year life-cycle.

I think we expect to see a more autonomous LS this fall or so. We should also see a new NX at some point here. Next year or two should be more SUVs mostly.

Source: What do I even know

Sebass

Follower
Reactions
I think we expect to see a more autonomous LS this fall or so. We should also see a new NX at some point here. Next year or two should be more SUVs mostly.

Source: What do I even know
When the LS receives its autonomous highway feature this fall, wouldn't it make the most sense to ship it with the LS's mid-cycle refresh? Plus, we have already seen spy shots of the LS prototype with large parts of the body covered up by camouflage.

When you say, "We should also see a new NX at some point here." do you mean later this year? I thought it was going to be unveiled early in 2021.

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
When the LS receives its autonomous highway feature this fall, wouldn't it make the most sense to ship it with the LS's mid-cycle refresh? Plus, we have already seen spy shots of the LS prototype with large parts of the body covered up by camouflage.

I thought the autonomous LS was a Japan exclusive, but the mid cycle refresh was coming regardless of region, I assume with the fancy bits of the newly introduced LSS V3.0

Sebass

Follower
Reactions
I thought the autonomous LS was a Japan exclusive, but the mid cycle refresh was coming regardless of region, I assume with the fancy bits of the newly introduced LSS V3.0
What is the LSS V3.0? I feel like I am going to sound like a complete moron not already knowing.
Also, I not only think but I am hoping that the autonomous LS is not a Japanese exclusive. That would make absolutely no sense.

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
What is the LSS V3.0? I feel like I am going to sound like a complete moron not already knowing.
Also, I not only think but I am hoping that the autonomous LS is not a Japanese exclusive. That would make absolutely no sense.
Let me correct the error not 3 but rather 2.5

Enhanced Lexus Safety System+
The standard Lexus Safety System+ (LSS+) found on the new IS receives additions for 2021 in the form of the new LSS+ 2.5. A number of key features that are part of the Lexus Safety System+ have been enhanced, along with the addition of a few key features.
For starters, the Pre-Collision System (PCS), which include Frontal Collision Warning (FCW), Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB), Pedestrian Detection and Bicyclist Detection, features an enhancement to the single-lens camera and millimeter-wave radar elements to expand the response range. By enhancing the radar and camera capabilities it is now possible for the system to help detect not only the vehicle ahead but also a preceding bicyclist in daytime and even a preceding pedestrian in daytime and low-light conditions. At intersections, the system has improved recognition of an oncoming vehicle or pedestrian when performing a left-hand turn and may activate typical PCS functions if needed. Additional PCS functions include Emergency Steering Assist (ESA), which is designed to assist steering within the vehicle’s lane as cued by the driver.
All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC) can be activated above 30 mph and is designed to perform vehicle-to-vehicle distance controls down to 0 mph and can resume from a stop. DRCC also includes a new feature that allows for smooth overtaking of slower vehicles. If traveling behind a vehicle traveling slower than the preset speed, once the driver engages the turn signal the system will provide an initial increase in acceleration in preparation for changing lanes; after changing lanes, the vehicle will continue acceleration until it reaches the original preset driving speed.
2021-Lexus-IS-F-SPORT-018-1024x683.jpg

Lane Departure Alert is designed to help notify the driver if it senses the vehicle is leaving the lane without engaging a turn signal via steering wheel vibrations or audible alert. When DRCC is set and engaged, Lane Tracing Assist (LTA) is designed to provide slight steering force to help steer to the center of the lane to assist the driver with staying in the lane using lane markers or a preceding vehicle. LTA alerts the driver with a visual warning and either an audible alert or steering wheel vibration. In the new IS, the lane recognition performance, which makes LTA possible, has been improved with enhanced recognition of line and road edge, lateral G performance, and enhanced control and stability after lane change.
Additional LSS+ 2.5 features include Intelligent High Beams, which detects preceding or oncoming vehicles and automatically switches between high beam and low beam headlights. Road Sign Assist (RSA) is designed to acquire certain road sign information using a camera and navigation maps and displays them on the multi-information display (MID). With DRCC engaged and activated, RSA can also adjust speed up to the posted speed limit if driving slower or down to the posted speed limit if driving faster than posted.
To help IS drivers change lanes with confidence, the standard Blind Spot Monitor is designed to help detect and warn you of vehicles approaching or positioned in the adjacent lanes. Standard Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) can offer added peace of mind by helping to detect vehicles approaching from either side while backing out with a visual and audible warning.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
I cant wait to see the IS in more colors like Matador Red Mica and Ultrasonic Blue (if that one is available).
Yes, the Lexus USA Newsroom confirms that both Matador Red Mica and Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2.0 will be available in the 2021 IS.

If the IS500 and IS-F is real, I have to question Lexus’ decision to split the announcements. The enthusiasts have already dismissed this new IS on the basis of its old platform, powertrain, and interior. No matter how damn good looking it is, how sexy it is, how beaut— um what was I talking about? 😂 No matter how nice the exterior is, first impressions are almost everything and enthusiasts have already made up their mind.
I actually think a split announcement makes sense. With 2NX (originally Lexus' second major 2020 announcement) delayed until next year, the 2020/early 2021 drought of Lexus news could be filled by announcing the rumored IS 500 separately. I know that COVID-19 has upended already dying traditional auto show reveals, but, thinking in old-school ways, perhaps Lexus' original plan was to reveal the IS 300 and 350 at the 2020 New York Auto Show (originally April, then August, finally cancelled), then saving the IS 500 for the 2020 Los Angeles Auto Show in November.

Speaking of IS 500, still no trademark filed. The pessimists/realists will say that either it won't happen after all or will be delayed big-time. Some wild-eyed optimists and dreamers, on the other hand, might say that the IS 500 trademark is unnecessary because we'll get a new IS F instead, and that trademark is still live.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
What if the IS 500 rumors were more of a "it's really more of an IS 500 compared to the competition, like GSF and M5" rumor than "it is literally an IS500".

Still, I sure hope they do one.

Also ditto on seeing the other colors.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
To the point @Levi made above, I've now had two people mention that with the 2021 IS, the front subframe was swapped in from the GS - just like it was on the RC. That obviously makes the front end wider, and we know it can support a larger engine (GS F). I feel like Lexus would have talked more about that in the press release if it was true, but even if they didn't, perhaps the IS F is possible. Considering that "IS 500" isn't trademarked and would likely need to be a while in advance, my bet would be on "IS F."

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
To the point @Levi made above, I've now had two people mention that with the 2021 IS, the front subframe was swapped in from the GS - just like it was on the RC. That obviously makes the front end wider, and we know it can support a larger engine (GS F). I feel like Lexus would have talked more about that in the press release if it was true, but even if they didn't, perhaps the IS F is possible. Considering that "IS 500" isn't trademarked and would likely need to be a while in advance, my bet would be on "IS F."

when Kevin asked about possibility of IS-F, question in interview was re-formulated to something like "Is higher output version coming" (or something similar) - not IS-F. To me that is a proof that IS500 is coming, not IS-F.

And in general, IS500 would be much more interesting vehicle than IS-F now.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
Gecko how long do trademarks normally come out before they release the car? Or since we've already had an ISF in the past are we just good? God whether it is an IS 500 or ISF we need this. Hopefully this isn't just more wishful thinking on everybody's part..

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Gecko how long do trademarks normally come out before they release the car? Or since we've already had an ISF in the past are we just good? God whether it is an IS 500 or ISF we need this. Hopefully this isn't just more wishful thinking on everybody's part..

@Carmaker1 is really the expert with that, and even @Joaquin Ruhi knows better than me. But I think they tend to be active 12-18 months before a car is announced....?