spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Now going back to what i said, it is actually new steering wheel, just the buttons are the same.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Now going back to what i said, it is actually new steering wheel, just the buttons are the same.

Definitely the same exact steering wheel with a redesigned airbag cap:

2021:
jv9dwxb66zjfabxdshv9.png

Prior:
605986.jpg

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
P.s. Gecko, A4 materials are fairly poor. I really dislike cheap interior on that car, and it is fairly new too.

Both your comments are true. Seems like a new wheel, darker metal tones.

I don't even know any more.

30min.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Definitely the same exact steering wheel with a redesigned airbag cap:

2021:
jv9dwxb66zjfabxdshv9.png

Prior:
605986.jpg

you are right. I still like it, except for the buttons. It is much nicer in IS then what the UX wheel would be, which is too big, like for CUV.
Having airbag cover in leather would be really nice, i like that about my A7.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Yeah... it's a nice "purpose-built" steering wheel and I'm not sure UX one is the right fit, to your point. Oh well.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
20-06-14-lexus-2021-is-reveal-1.jpg

Lexus has announced the new IS sedan tonight, first showing it off at a live Facebook event and now releasing full details on the model. Here’s the launch video:

This is not an easy car to describe: the platform is the same, the engines are the same, the exterior has been updated extensively, and the interior is a mashup of old and new. As such, this is a tough one to process. Let’s take a look at the full press release and reconvene in the forums.

20-06-14-lexus-2021-is-reveal-20-400x200.jpg

20-06-14-lexus-2021-is-reveal-3-400x200.jpg

20-06-14-lexus-2021-is-reveal-2-400x200.jpg

Continue reading...

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
So, the details are out now: https://pressroom.lexus.com/2021-lexus-is-agility-and-athleticism-expand-pure-driving-performance/
  • Significantly redesigned exterior - seems like every panel - and it looks great
  • Minor interior changes: touchscreen with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and Amazon Alexa
  • Carryover powertrains, even the 6AT on the IS 300 AWD
    • V6 now only available on the F-Sport model
  • Suspension updates - refined at Shimoyama
    • New Lexus Dynamic Handling package available on the F-Sport
  • Marketing angle: pure sports sedan/"go all in"

I am trying to think about who will realistically buy this car...
  • Lexus loyal? Probably not: With no engine or meaningful interior updates, I don't see many current IS or GS customers making the switch -- it's just not worth it. Maybe a handful of folks? No appeal to the ES shopper, most likely.
  • Price conscious shoppers? Nah: The spec sheet tell me this car needs a value proposition to sell, but even with aggressive pricing, I doubt Lexus can go toe-to-toe with the Germans on lease rates, which is how most of these cars are sold.
  • Reliability shoppers? Maybe: There are always some shoppers who value Lexus reliability and longevity and want to buy - I think this IS will have some appeal to those shoppers. This is a much smaller portion of luxury shoppers.
  • Driving Enthusiasts? Yes, specific ones: I think this is Lexus' best hope based on the product that was delivered, but it's going to be a specific enthusiast subset who I think of as grown up/more affluent GT86 shoppers, or maybe a Supra shopper who needs 4 doors? The IS is down on power and MPG, but if Lexus can deliver on this promise of being the best handing and best feeling sport sedan, I can see the group of people who "love to drive" but don't need crazy horsepower finding it desirable.
  • Love the exterior design? Yes. Easy sell based on emotion. If you love it, you want it.
I want to give Lexus credit for how the exterior looks and for the work that was put into the suspension, but among it's competitive set, this IS is a hard sell in the mass market. The comments we've seen about Lexus "considering" an IS 500 with V35A-FTS have to be a joke... if Lexus was going to drop a new engine option, this would have been the day. Next month or next year is not the time considering the lifecycle of this car. V35A-FTS has now been around for long enough that it could have been included in this launch if that was in the plan.

Reactions

The guys at SupraMKV.com have jumped the gun. It seems like some YouTube channels have gotten access to it already.

The exterior looks stunning but I do wish for more for the interior, powertrains, and transmissions.

Last edited:

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Exterior looks good.

Value proposition of the IS350 V6 F Sport against the 2021 TLX SH-AWD, not so much though.

Hopefully Lexus announces a hybrid down the road but the TLX will likely get the Sport Hybrid variant, reason being that extra eight inches in the engine bay.

Last edited:

James

Founding Member
Reactions
I just don't understand why they make it sportier without adding power. I mean still the best IS 0-60 time we can get is 5.6 or 5.7. I mean come on really? Ugh I need to sleep on this as the exterior is great but in 18 months do I really want this compared to my spacious GS prolly not...okay time to wait for the LF1...

joepac

Fan
Reactions
I think Lexus blew a huge opportunity to make some ground in the sport sedan market (though I know this is a diminishing market) but why even do an extensive refresh? Oh well... Supra or CPO LC500 is what I'll look for...