7th Generation (2019+) Lexus ES (250, 260, 300h, 350) Megathread

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Am I the only one silly enough to think that the 2021 Venza (maybe the Sienna too) is the first Toyota hybrid with Active Cornering Assist (mild brake-based torque vectoring)? The article talks about three electric motors whereas I know the RAV4H only has two. It would be fantastic to have the ES350h come with a similar AWD setup.

The new-generation Toyota Hybrid System in the Venza combines a high-efficiency 2.5-liter DOHC four-cylinder engine with three electric motors in a highly compact system.

Venza’s handling is bolstered by an electronically controlled brake system featuring Active Cornering Assist (ACA), which engages the stability control to reduce understeer in certain cornering situations. The driver feels only the enhanced agility, not the system’s operation.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
Am I the only one silly enough to think that the 2021 Venza (maybe the Sienna too) is the first Toyota hybrid with Active Cornering Assist (mild brake-based torque vectoring)? The article talks about three electric motors whereas I know the RAV4H only has two. It would be fantastic to have the ES350h come with a similar AWD setup.

The new-generation Toyota Hybrid System in the Venza combines a high-efficiency 2.5-liter DOHC four-cylinder engine with three electric motors in a highly compact system.

Venza’s handling is bolstered by an electronically controlled brake system featuring Active Cornering Assist (ACA), which engages the stability control to reduce understeer in certain cornering situations. The driver feels only the enhanced agility, not the system’s operation.
Below was my answer to the 3-motor hybrid question in the discussion about the Venza:
Three motors: 2 motor-generators in the Power-Split Device (same for all Toyota and Lexus hybrids since the first Prius and your CT) up front -- MG1 (generator) and MG2 (drive motor) plus 1 motor-generator added to the back axle to provide AWD.

This is the same for all Toyota and Lexus FWD-based crossover hybrids (RAV4, Highlander, RX, NX, UX) with AWD.

While C/D is correct, this just proves to me that (most) auto-writers know very little about how hybrid powertrains work, and Toyota marketing has not written a simple description of how the Toyota Hybrid System works (no need to be too honest and describe all the mechanics of the system, just describe how it works).

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Below was my answer to the 3-motor hybrid question in the discussion about the Venza:

It was in the Toyota Press Release that mentioned three electric motors. Good to know that the third electric motor is not needed for ACA though it doesn't seem that the hybrid vehicles have this brake-based torque vectoring until the 2021 Venza.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
It was in the Toyota Press Release that mentioned three electric motors. Good to know that the third electric motor is not needed for ACA though it doesn't seem that the hybrid vehicles have this brake-based torque vectoring until the 2021 Venza.
I found Active Cornering Assist in the descriptions of the 2020 Toyota Corolla Hatchback and 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid so it is not all new.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
I found Active Cornering Assist in the descriptions of the 2020 Toyota Corolla Hatchback and 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid so it is not all new.

Could you point it out in the Corolla Hybrid specifications or description from a corporate source, either in the USA or Canada? Thanks Sulu!

Update:

You may be right if the ACA is part of VSC for hybrids as well. 😇

To enhance vehicle controls at mid- to high-speed ranges the 2021 LC’s Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) is enhanced with Active Cornering Assist (ACA). This system helps control cornering by providing brake control to the inner wheels in accordance with lateral acceleration when G-force demands are greater during spirited driving.

Last edited:

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
Could you point it out in the Corolla Hybrid specifications or description from a corporate source, either in the USA or Canada? Thanks Sulu!

Update:

You may be right if the ACA is part of VSC for hybrids as well. 😇

To enhance vehicle controls at mid- to high-speed ranges the 2021 LC’s Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) is enhanced with Active Cornering Assist (ACA). This system helps control cornering by providing brake control to the inner wheels in accordance with lateral acceleration when G-force demands are greater during spirited driving.

Performance

Agile and Nimble Driving
Comfort, confidence and control. The 2020 Corolla Hatchback is the complete package. Based on Toyota’s New Global Architecture, its low centre of gravity translates into dynamic handling. Coupled with exceptional body rigidity, multi-link rear suspension, and Active Cornering Assist, Hatch delivers a genuinely sporty drive with great feedback, quick response, and super stability.

Performance
All-New Platform
Built on the revolutionary Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA) platform, the all-new Corolla brings new meaning to fun-to-drive. The wider track, lower centre of gravity and highly-rigid structure - along with features like multi-link rear suspension and active cornering assist - combine to put outstanding agility and stability at your fingertips.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions

Cool. The LC finally gets it haha.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
It would be awesome to see Lexus put the "350h" hybrid powertrain in the ES with the E-four AWD. I really like the ES 300h, but with a heavy foot, I need just a liiiittle more power. Maybe for the refresh? If not, definitely next gen, if not something even newer by then.
Unlikely. They are too lazy to do that.

There's always the ES450h+ at the top.

Will1991

Reactions
There's always the ES450h+ at the top.

DF5-C4878-B6-F2-4-BAB-97-B8-0-E1120-CC3-FB4.jpg

I’m sure it would be out of my price range, but it would be epic IMO.

As another note, I’m going to share this picture from Club Lexus Portugal, from a full specced ES300h:
684-EF09-F-2-B89-4-AFC-B8-C8-737-A933-A04-A1.jpg

It shows there is a school nearby on the heads up display.
Truly is, experience amazing.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
DF5-C4878-B6-F2-4-BAB-97-B8-0-E1120-CC3-FB4.jpg

I’m sure it would be out of my price range, but it would be epic IMO.

As another note, I’m going to share this picture from Club Lexus Portugal, from a full specced ES300h:
684-EF09-F-2-B89-4-AFC-B8-C8-737-A933-A04-A1.jpg

It shows there is a school nearby on the heads up display.
Truly is, experience amazing.

Won't the Venza HUD have that too? :)

mikeavelli

Reactions
Are you looking to have the full L line up (LX, LC, LS)? Would happily live in your garage 😅

That was the idea but she didn't go for the LS.... she couldn't justify the price difference. I could. I think she is a prime example of some of the issues Lexus faces today. She brought the ES home and our son thought it was the LS we had to drive. That is how similar they are. Even I cannot deny it.

Now if we could get a LY that would be something hahahahahha

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
So:
L is for Luxury
G is for Gone
I is for Indefinite (in terms of production length)
E is for Excellent Fuel Economy (FWD platform)
U is for Understatement (but it probably isn't)
?

I can see a future X and S to spell out LEXUS.