2021 Toyota Sienna

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
A big gripe I now have with the new Sienna, is that design work would've wrapped in 2017, before those details were locked in during 2018. This originally anticipated March 2020 launch.

I never recommend that mass-market volume brand vehicles be approved with final production styling, more than two and a half years out, because of market reaction timing.

By November 2020 volume launch, I am 100% that the design would have been set 3 years earlier and a lot changes between then. This probably doesn't even include scale models.

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
It is pretty remarkable what all goes into a new vehicle. Design, engineering, and making it all work together especially with all the electronics, and then how to mass produce it efficiently and without issues. Any insight on the 2022 Tundra? That’s been delayed same as the Sienna, so is that design locked in? Could create some issues with as hot as the pickup market is.

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
Nice find. I think it is smart move for Toyota to go "all hybrid" The fuel economy gains will make this new model a big winner. I am pretty sure the Sienna will have E-awd

Reactions

Well damn the Sienna looks interesting from the back, but the Sienna always needs a V6. I'm hoping for a V6 hybrid though. I don't want a garbage CVT in a Sienna. The Sienna's Trump Card was the buttery smooth V6, AWD and a quick automatic that would outgun many other 4 cylinder cars out there.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
For this shopper, MPG probably makes more sense. But where I worry is adults + 2-3 kids + gear + suitcases, etc. 245hp hybrid 4 cylinder will become very slow very quickly when used like minivans are.

That teaser pic looks cool though!

i guess in the end, it will still be faster than hybrid Rav4 with same amount of people.

very curious that they made it hybrid only. It will definitely get Prime version eventually.

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
View attachment 3979

Well damn the Sienna looks interesting from the back, but the Sienna always needs a V6. I'm hoping for a V6 hybrid though. I don't want a garbage CVT in a Sienna. The Sienna's Trump Card was the buttery smooth V6, AWD and a quick automatic that would outgun many other 4 cylinder cars out there.

It’s a people moving minivan. Does it REALLY matter to you THAT much that you have to call a CVT garbage? I repeat. It’s a minivan

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
I think it will work like normal hybrid with regenerative braking, I read this long ago with the introduction of the prime, I need to check though even I don't remember where exactly I read it

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I think it will work like normal hybrid with regenerative braking, I read this long ago with the introduction of the prime, I need to check though even I don't remember where exactly I read it

question is will it be able to recover more energy and get more hp out of battery.

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
i guess in the end, it will still be faster than hybrid Rav4 with same amount of people.

very curious that they made it hybrid only. It will definitely get Prime version eventually.

I think the whole idea is for the Toyota consumer to choose between A: Highlander Hybrid....or....B: Sienna Hybrid.....throw a V6 in there and it muddies it. Lots of people were so offended by the Highlander being smaller, but the Sienna is the reason why. Now, it’s clear as day, an efficient crossover or efficient van.

Last edited:

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
@spwolf , from what I remembered, it was talking as long as the battery can charge the electric motor either with charging it or regenerative braking you will have the maximum output

Also it was mentioned that in the steady road the electric motor stopped ever the battery was full

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
eCVT actually feels much better than CVT because you don't feel rubberbanding. Mechanical CVTs are so bad because so much power is lost from slip. CVTs both metaphorically and physically suck the life out of the car. An ideal CVT would feel completely different: the car always have peak power whenever you want it, and eCVT is closer to that.

Last edited: