flexus

Admirer
Reactions
Same time as Tokyo motorshow opened its doors Lexus international invited media representatives to East Fuji Laboratory to test new Hybrid 4WD system. Test drice was conducted on FF layout ES with an extra motor on real axel. The system is called E-axel and is different from E four. You can turn on and off E-axel by button. When turned on it feels like twin motor EV. Output from the motor is around 100kw. This system can be used also in PHVs. Chief engineer Sato said next generation hybrid system goes in production H1 2020.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Sounds like a torque vectoring system.

Acura/Honda has that on its NSX (twin front electric motors) and Hybrid RLX/MDX -- twin rear electric motors.:)

It will likely be similar to GKN or BorgWarner's motors:

Good move. Acura SH-AWD vehicles' handling dynamics are highly commended by serious auto journalists like Alex on Autos.

Update:
Oops. I thought I read drives as if it had dual rear motors.

Last edited:

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
19-11-04-lexus-es-new-awd.jpg

Japanese media were given a chance during the Tokyo Motor Show to drive a Lexus ES prototype equipped with a new All-Wheel Drive system.
The E-Axle AWD system was built around the Lexus Hybrid system, and utilizes a second electric motor equipped on the rear axle with an output of between 80-100kw of power. The technology can be engaged by the driver, and Japanese auto writer Kenji Momota described it as such:

The winding road we ran this time has a variety of settings, such as low-speed hairpins, S-curves at medium speeds, and places where there are undulations and the corners are not clearly visible. Then, the sense of security as a driver increased.
No, it was not just a sense of security, but there was a sense of acceleration and excitement that I had never experienced before with hybrid vehicles. It...

Continue reading...

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
This sounds like it'll find its way into the performance side. ~135hp of low-end electric torque + ICE would be quite a combination. If that ICE is a TT V8, it might help the F line find a unique market profile.

What's the show in November again, where we can expect some EV/hybrid announcements? Is it LA?

Reactions
This sounds like it'll find its way into the performance side. ~135hp of low-end electric torque + ICE would be quite a combination. If that ICE is a TT V8, it might help the F line find a unique market profile.

What's the show in November again, where we can expect some EV/hybrid announcements? Is it LA?

Holy f*ck it all makes sense. OMG IT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE. OKOKOK I'M ABOUT TO SCREAM. Now that I think about it, this news aligns with someone that told me some serious insider information about future Toyota/Lexus developments. IT ALL MAKES SO MUCH DAMN SENSE!

EDIT: Now I got y'all curious. Y'all may be thinking what kind of developments are they up to? F-, wait, I forgot what I was going to say. 😉

b.ba

Fan
Reactions
Pure speculation, but do you think this could be placed in the hybrid Tundra? It sounds like the low-end torque provided by this system could be especially useful.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Pure speculation, but do you think this could be placed in the hybrid Tundra? It sounds like the low-end torque provided by this system could be especially useful.

I saw a post somewhere else mentioning that some next generation of existing toyota platform would have a ton of towing capacity. I'll edit if i can find it, but I imagine toyota is getting serious about their hybrid implementations to bridge the gap to / compliment the full on EV platforms.

edit: no luck so far, so take with a grain of salt, but that hybrid expertise must pay dividends at some point.

Holy f*ck it all makes sense. OMG IT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE. OKOKOK I'M ABOUT TO SCREAM. Now that I think about it, this news aligns with someone that told me some serious insider information about future Toyota/Lexus developments. IT ALL MAKES SO MUCH DAMN SENSE!

EDIT: Now I got y'all curious. Y'all may be thinking what kind of developments are they up to? F-, wait, I forgot what I was going to say. 😉

If they just make an "E" out of the "F" logo styling that'd be a cop-out... but I would settle for it if it was on something exciting and unique.

Last edited:
Reactions
I saw a post somewhere else mentioning that some next generation of existing toyota platform would have a ton of towing capacity. I'll edit if i can find it, but I imagine toyota is getting serious about their hybrid implementations to bridge the gap to / compliment the full on EV platforms.

edit: no luck so far, so take with a grain of salt, but that hybrid expertise must pay dividends at some point.

If they just make an "E" out of the "F" logo styling that'd be a cop-out... but I would settle for it if it was on something exciting and unique.

It's not supposed to be an "E". 😉

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
It's not supposed to be an "E". 😉

LOL Ok, F-H, H is a sideways mirrored F. Maybe Fh? F-h?

That would actually be pretty interesting, and if they could introduce it with smaller displacement models, it could help those models out too.

Spill it! 😡

EDIT: something to do with F-sport? F-hybrid?

Last edited:
Reactions

So LCF will be TTV8 with hybrid system? Maybe close to 700 hp.

Will1991

Reactions
This should be the reason behind why the soon to be presented RAV4 PHEV is the more powerful version, a new axle, should make it a lot better off-roader as well!

Traction battery specs should also be different from the ‘normal’ hybrid, I’m not seeing the current battery pack allowing this (required for a 100kW rear electric engine) much higher C discharge rate than it does for the current RAV 4 eAWD...

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The user-operable rear axle 'lock' should be standard on all their E-Four cars. Forcing the rear axle to engage (instead of software telling it to) could help a long way with, say, the RAV4 hybrid in offroad situations.

Would like to see even more power at the rear axle. On top of the A25A-FXS the two would have combined 235kW/315hp which is not a lot for a performance model of ES. Comparable solutions from BYD and Polestar have over 200kW in the rear for combined output of over 400kW. But I guess they don't want weight to get out of control.

On the RX with a 2.5 Turbo the combination could make 300-350kW which would be quite good.

On the LC it just creates a huge traction problem, those poor rear tyres.

Traction battery specs should also be different from the ‘normal’ hybrid, I’m not seeing the current battery pack allowing this (required for a 100kW rear electric engine) much higher C discharge rate than it does for the current RAV 4 eAWD...
Which means this could be a PHV-only system.

Last edited:
Reactions
LOL Ok, F-H, H is a sideways mirrored F. Maybe Fh? F-h?

That would actually be pretty interesting, and if they could introduce it with smaller displacement models, it could help those models out too.

Spill it! 😡

EDIT: something to do with F-sport? F-hybrid?

F! ITS F!! Now it's not ominous anymore.

Horus468

Fan
Reactions
GS with TVD can live on as a GS BEV with electric torque vectoring.
I agree, but I think the BEV would be the UX and other smaller vehicles. I’m not sure if Lexus has any plans with the car. The redesign appears to be the next generation Mirai. I wish they would do the Mirai for Toyota and the GS for Lexus (like the Land Cruiser/LX). But that would make the next GS too expensive and it’ll cut into LS territory. The ES in other markets has all of the GS bells and whistles (Power folding mirrors, heated and power rear seats). AWD was the only reason for keeping it in the lineup. Now that the ES is getting AWD and a LC F would replace the GS F, and the next IS growing in size, I don’t see it existing anymore.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
I agree, but I think the BEV would be the UX and other smaller vehicles. I’m not sure if Lexus has any plans with the car. The redesign appears to be the next generation Mirai. I wish they would do the Mirai for Toyota and the GS for Lexus (like the Land Cruiser/LX). But that would make the next GS too expensive and it’ll cut into LS territory. The ES in other markets has all of the GS bells and whistles (Power folding mirrors, heated and power rear seats). AWD was the only reason for keeping it in the lineup. Now that the ES is getting AWD and a LC F would replace the GS F, and the next IS growing in size, I don’t see it existing anymore.

I'm kinda new to Lexus. Never owned one but quite familiar with the brand since the mid-90's and have been following the company's progress (especially on technology employed) for more than a year now.

In the current Lexus line up, only the RC F and the GS F have the available torque vectoring. I don't think the LC500 has TVD. So unless the ES or IS BEVs will be offered with TVD (present clutch mechanism) or three electric motors for even better rear axle torque vectoring, I think the GS has reasons to stay.

The reason why I have never considered a GS in the past is because of the fuel economy and the price. In Toronto, Ontario, Canada, gasoline prices is almost like California pricing and our premium fuel costs an arm and a leg, unlike in the US, where the differential is small.

When Lexus brings out BEVs, they will definitely be on my shopping list. I wouldn't mind a GS BEV with torque vectoring to be honest if Lexus will reserve the technology to the upper segments of its line up. I don't mind paying for the price if it's a BEV (up to $80k) though since even the cheaper Korean BEVs like the Kona can hit $50k CAD with the highest trim. I like to drive smaller cars like the IS but I wouldn't mind a GS if it's going to be very nimble thanks to rear axle torque vectoring.

If Toyota plays it cards well by deploying Lexus BEVs with torque vectoring, I think the Germans/European makers are going to be nastily surprised.