Porsche Taycan Thread

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Everyday electric cars do not need gear. The increased complxity is not worth it. Gears are good for performance cars. The issue I have with the Tycan is that it is not a Porsche. It is a Rimac, another EV startup tech. Good for Rimac business, bad for the hope of German Engineering Deception to be revealed and exposed.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
[Citation Needed]

Not needed. All key performance EV components are outsourced from Rimac. Toyota could have done the same thing by contracting Rimac before VW had they actually believed in EV. Rimac does a lot of racing hybrid stuff and so on. Actually Hyundai has contracted Rimac to make performance EV as well so go figure.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Actually, I'd love to see an article, link or source that says that the Porsche Taycan itself has Rimac componentry under the skin. Yes, Porsche's stake in Rimac has gone from 10% in June 2018 to 15.5% earlier this month, making Porsche's stake in the company second only to Maté Rimac's own 47.7% (Hyundai's share is 11%), but what I've read as far as Porsche-Rimac ties has nothing to do with the Taycan. Rather, talk is of a future Porsche electric hypercar (possibly also shared with Lamborghini) using Rimac C_Two underpinnings or componentry.

Source:
https://www.motoring.com.au/porsche-doubles-down-on-rimac-investment-120458/

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Emission tricks in the car industry had no citation before they were exposed. Porsche had no citation when Toyota production managers saved Porsche from bankruptcy.

Yes, but where is the proof the Taycan is a Rimac? I haven't seen that on any websites or from the automotive crowd on Twitter.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
A little humor and a little LE content: a Tesla believed to be the "Plaid" prototype Musk has been touting broke down on the Nurburgring yesterday and was lapped twice by a Taycan before being towed away.

Later in the video at the 7 minute mark, you see a weird franken-LFA with mismatching body panels and partial camo. Not sure what that was about.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The gearbox part we can thank Elon... Maybe when Tesla return with a gearbox we all can get things right again.

it is just cost issue... those two gear transmissions are super expensive, i assume because they have to be able to withstand all that torque.

Old GS450h had the same problem, it was very expensive due to the transmission.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Porsche had no citation when Toyota production managers saved Porsche from bankruptcy.

Interesting that you should use this particular example, for that was precisely the subject of perhaps the most widely-viewed Kaizen Factor story I've written (thanks to Jalopnik picking up the story): Porsche: Toyota's star pupil? I wrote that almost a decade ago, and it was essentially a commentary piece on a Bloomberg Businessweek story that I referenced, cited and credited extensively.

Granted, sometimes major automakers tend to be guarded about outside collaborations, such as italian designer Leonardo Fioravanti's contributions to the original Lexus LFA Concept and the final Toyota Celica, or Pininfarina's to the Honda S2000, but, as ssun30, Ian Schmidt and I have noted, where is the link or article that supports the notion that the Porsche Taycan is a Rimac under the skin?

ThePenguin

Follower
Reactions
I was able to check one out in person at the Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta 2 weeks ago. I was lucky enough to sit in it as well. Very very cool vehicle...pictures don't do the shape justice.

48842955651_fda20cb1b9_b.jpg

48843219622_937f9d88a0_b.jpg

48843119266_af8033d644_b.jpg

mikeavelli

Reactions
I was able to check one out in person at the Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta 2 weeks ago. I was lucky enough to sit in it as well. Very very cool vehicle...pictures don't do the shape justice.

48842955651_fda20cb1b9_b.jpg

48843219622_937f9d88a0_b.jpg

48843119266_af8033d644_b.jpg

I wonder if its still there, I would stop by. The wheels are super interesting, seems make of the spokes are filled with plastic between them.

ThePenguin

Follower
Reactions
I wonder if its still there, I would stop by. The wheels are super interesting, seems make of the spokes are filled with plastic between them.

It was there on 9/19!

You're correct about the wheels; there's very little open space showing off the massive brakes. Honestly, the wheels were my least favorite thing about the vehicle...they looked cheap in person, like high-polish plastic that would scratch when wiping brake dust off. Other than that...loved it.